Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Problem with the app is the minimum $10 reload amount. If the screen didn't mention complimentary charging, I wouldn't have bothered
I keep money in the account and when traveling activate the + option (.31 cents a kW). One charge pays for the $4 dollar monthly fee. I deactivate it when I arrive at my final destination. EA is good about making that process a simple one. And as another poster stated, using the app is the more reliable way to get their chargers to work.

Rich

Spouse demonstrating her skill at charging at an EA station.
EA Charging (1).JPG

You can lookup on the center display if CCS is supported by your vehicle.
I don't recall ever seeing anything about CCS in the menus and screens, and we have a 2018 build, so I bet we're out of luck. But just in case, where exactly is the CCS display you mentioned? (I can't explore at the moment since Tesla has my car. We get it back Thursday!)

And thanks for the info!

Interesting. Really the adapter shouldn’t change the performance of the charge station as it’s a pass thru. We have gotten north of a 120 kw on a 150 kw EC with ours.
Yeah I think this particular charger just might not be perfect. There's a few reviews on plugshare for this charger which seems to indicate people have been getting lower than expected speeds. It's the only CCS charger near me though asides for the one at various car dealerships. It's also very rare that I actually get my SoC so low, so it's hard for me to test.

At the end of the day though I got a free ~30 kWh while eating my lunch. Not a bad deal.

Reactions: Webeevdrivers
I decided to go for a road trip today while the free charging is happening. I left and stopped by the San Leandro EA charger @11am to be sure it was still free, and the COMPLIMENTARY screen was up. I drove to Santa Cruz for lunch with a friend. When I got back the free charging had ended. So it was Friday to Tuesday based on people's reports here on TMC. I can't find ANY reference to the free charging from EA ANYWHERE on the googles.

I wonder what the event was about. I did see a message on screen saying that they were doing upgrades to the network starting Sept. 7th, perhaps this was just so any hiccups during the change would be smoothed over by nobody being charged for power unless the used their card to activate the session.

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
I don't recall ever seeing anything about CCS in the menus and screens, and we have a 2018 build, so I bet we're out of luck. But just in case, where exactly is the CCS display you mentioned? (I can't explore at the moment since Tesla has my car. We get it back Thursday!)

And thanks for the info!
Here is an example screenshot that someone posted here on TMC earlier this year. In their case, CCS support was missing on the car.

10FE5BAB-60D7-4139-A296-E1D10D3A059C.jpeg

My M3 is CCS capable, but I think the cost of the adapter is absurd. I have the J1772 adapter. AC charging is just too slow! The supercharger strategy is a huge advantage and I would not have bought an EV without it.
I have a 14-50 plug as well, so I think I’ve got this covered.
I’m glad to hear of expansion in the electrical network but will be spending my time driving my car rather than waiting for it to charge.

We regret to inform as for the latest update, the manufacturer has cancelled all CCS adapter orders that we placed with them.

We will now submit the refund for the order. Our finance team will process that as the soonest, kindly allow 3-5 business days for it to process.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Sincerely,

Harumio

This is strike 3. What is going on and YTF is it so difficult to buy a phreaking CCS adapter?

It's literally not though, there's a whole bunch available now.
It's literally not though, there's a whole bunch available now.
I'm sorry, what? Where? And let me guess, that price that Harumio had is now half of what these other mofos want, right? I read that open letter..but it was a bit vague. Almost like the vendor they were getting it from decided they no longer wanted to sell it for that much b/c they suddenly realized we had no other options.

Bellingham, WA Electrify America site at Fred Meyer is Complementary Session as of now.
Rocklin was also still free Wednesday. Vacaville free earlier today. Stockton and Valley fair San jose was free from before labor day thru last week. Haven't been back there since tho plugshare review says still free as of Wednesday. Can't believe ea intended to give free charging for More than 2 weeks. I can believe they botched the system upgrade though. On the plus side, all charging sessions went smoothly.

Reactions: cwerdna and Limited
I'm not upset with Harumio..I'm just upset that Tesla has made these things so damn difficult to get AND that these vendors are playing pricing games because they know we're over a barrel.
Tesla made the ones in South Korea for the South Korean market. I presume the NA demand (which also has demand from scalpers) have grown enough that it is affecting their supply for SK, so they had to clamp down. Again, keep in mind Tesla has not officially launched the CCS1 adapter in anywhere but South Korea.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Tesla made the ones in South Korea for the South Korean market. I presume the NA demand (which also has demand from scalpers) have grown enough that it is affecting their supply for SK, so they had to clamp down. Again, keep in mind Tesla has not officially launched the CCS1 adapter in anywhere but South Korea.

This is what I think happened as well, for example, they have 50k Tesla Cars in SK and they made 20k adapters but a majority were sold to NA so they had to clamp down to ensure they have enough stock for the SK market..

Rocklin was also still free Wednesday. Vacaville free earlier today. Stockton and Valley fair San jose was free from before labor day thru last week. Haven't been back there since tho plugshare review says still free as of Wednesday. Can't believe ea intended to give free charging for More than 2 weeks. I can believe they botched the system upgrade though. On the plus side, all charging sessions went smoothly.
(old post never posted) I spoke to a woman in Gilroy today with a KIA who said she has been free charging there for three weeks. I know the YouTube channel Transport Evolved's crew drove from Portland to San Diego for last weeks Fully Charged Live for free so it may be everywhere.