Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The plastic was warm, but shockingly so, it made me think if I accidentally touched the metal it would be quite dangerous, but that could have just been the one charger I charged at. Charged the battery up 50% and when the charge curve dropped I pulled the plug, so probably worst case scenario.

I have not noticed that with similar charge rates but shaded conditions. Was the adapter in direct sun on a hot day? I have noticed the black adapter get hot from direct sun.
Yeah, have you tried to open your door on a hot day a few hours before/after solar noon when the door is facing the sun? The handles get blazing hot!

Just leave some black plastic out in the sun, and it will get plenty hot, too, though being a better insulator than the metal door handles, won't feel quite as hot.

Reactions: DrGriz
I installed my 00-B ECU today, along with my “Bundle of wires and a board”. (2019 Model 3). My install was pretty easy and successful; “CCS adapter support: Enabled”. Many thanks to @FalconFour and everyone else.
Note, I was a little indecisive on whether or not to disconnect both the 12v battery and the HV battery (under rear seat connector). I have seen comments from users both ways. I decided on a hybrid approach: I opened the trunk to prep for the ECU change, but after entering Service Mode on the display, I closed the doors (not the trunk) and waited a while for the car to go to sleep. This way, the ECU was powered down and stopped blinking. I felt this was less risky, but reasonably safe enough. I basically followed the guidelines posted by @Bunklung on the Retrofit CCS DIY thread that is closed to new comments. The car didn’t really freak out after the swap; just the message about Unable to charge. I did the software reinstall from the Service Mode screen. And, all is good!
Now I just need to try out my Tesla NA CCS adapter! (No high power CCS chargers close to me unfortunately).

I have the issue fixed for me.
I added a small length of polyethylene tubing to the locking pin.
I used 1/4" OD x .17" ID and it fit very snug.

The CCS handle locked on and I was not able to push in the handle release button with the adapter plugged into the car.

Interesting. I notice that the surface of the car's (It's a Model 3 or Y, correct?) charge port slopes inward (up and away [towards the trunk] from the pin). I am wondering if the flatter (more vertical) surface surrounding the Model S & X charge ports will not exhibit that same issue (i.e., will not require an extra 1/4" added to the locking pin)?

I will try to test it on my early 2021 Model X.

Interesting. I notice that the surface of the car's (It's a Model 3 or Y, correct?) charge port slopes inward (up and away [towards the trunk] from the pin). I am wondering if the flatter (more vertical) surface surrounding the Model S & X charge ports will not exhibit that same issue (i.e., will not require an extra 1/4" added to the locking pin)?

I will try to test it on my early 2021 Model X.
I am driving a 2022 Model 3 RWD if that helps. You may be correct.

I have noticed that when I push the adapter in the port till it bottoms out in the charging port and start a charge.
The port will lock the adapter in the car, but I can still move the adapter in/out an 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch or so. It remains locked in the car but has play.
With my modification on the pin it is just at the limit to keep the pin locking the handle in place throughout the play noted above.

• Helpful
Reactions: aerodyne
I have not noticed that with similar charge rates but shaded conditions. Was the adapter in direct sun on a hot day? I have noticed the black adapter get hot from direct sun.
No, after sunset. I'll keep an eye on it, I usually don't fast fast charge as the free DCFCs are all 50 or 60 kW only. It'll have to wait until the next free EA roadtrip which are all ended at the moment. I guess T-Day is next, fingers crossed.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff N
I wonder if wrapping the adapter with aluminum foil tape would reduce heating of it in direct sunlight? I might do mine just for the heck of it.
Why not a 1:6 scale pastel doll umbrella or this similarly sized one meant for use with a squirrel feeder?

You could figure out a mounting bracket of some sort and then use the stylish tiny umbrella to shade the adapter and CCS plug from the sun during charging.

210217E2-DDF0-481F-8C64-34F0550A5F08.jpeg3E413401-7F07-4BBD-9BFC-240AC94709C9.jpeg
3E413401-7F07-4BBD-9BFC-240AC94709C9.jpeg

Last edited:
CCS adapter made mo so happy lately, I am one of those idiots who paid $450 for the kimchi market one, so have been using it for a while. I am shocked how fast the CCS has proliferated around the Columbus OH area. Pulled into a 250kW EvGo on the way to the corner of the state where I live, was cheaper than the SC and much faster. The station felt like brand new. Earlier I was up north and the ChargePoint and EA stations also worked flawlessly. Just one look at PlugShare compared to two years ago attests to rapid growth.

Ah ha, ha, ha! Now that is my kind of over-the-top sarcastic humor!
Hey, buddy, this is real!

It turns out that China has already thought of this — almost. Multiple companies from there sell a small animal-shaped silicon suction cup on Amazon that is made to hold a toy doll-sized umbrella. They market it as a smartphone shade but we know what it’s for….

CF12D818-C7E7-45CB-8EA6-D162F22D6605.jpeg

They just haven’t figured out yet that they should market it as a CCS adapter shade.

I ordered one suction cup with a manly man camouflage umbrella along with an order for a 5-pack of the frilly doll parasols. I’m now prepared to fit in with the local culture wherever I stop to charge during a road trip, rain or shine.

You can adjust the angle of the shade to account for the position of the sun. I charged in the late mid-afternoon so the sun was already getting near the horizon. The charge door is somewhat in the way if the sun is directly overhead but it works.

F6DB84CD-13C3-498C-944B-FBB0FDBA4703.jpeg

6FA2002D-B0AE-44BE-9339-9D6CF5A16BD0.jpeg

2EF59C42-00E2-4BEA-A418-E02A68FF892D.jpeg

F0267973-9285-45F4-BB91-D9FEF49573CE.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey, buddy, this is real!

It turns out that China has already thought of this — almost. Multiple companies from there sell a small animal-shaped silicon suction cup on Amazon that is made to hold a toy doll-sized umbrella. They market it as a smartphone shade but we know what it’s for….

View attachment 865511

They just haven’t figured out yet that they should market it as a CCS adapter shade.

I ordered one suction cup with a manly man camouflage umbrella along with an order for a 5-pack of the frilly doll parasols. I’m now prepared to fit in with the local culture wherever I stop to charge during a road trip, rain or shine.

You can adjust the angle of the shade to account for the position of the sun. I charged in the late mid-afternoon so the sun was already getting near the horizon. The charge door is somewhat in the way if the sun is directly overhead but it works.

View attachment 865506

View attachment 865507

View attachment 865509

View attachment 865527
Many CCS stations have much longer cords than we Tesla drivers are used to, so you can sometimes park front-in instead of rear-in, so you can switch which side the sun is on. But I suspect a piece of cloth over the whole thing is more compact and cheaper, but not as pretty.