Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for Older Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to update something on an older (14) Model S to be able to leverage the CCS Supercharger network? I am in the process of updating my 19 3 with the new charging computer from Tesla so it supports it, but wondering about the older S.

It will likely require a box be added in-line with the charge port control wiring, like they do in Europe to add CCS support. (As well as updating the vehicle configuration to know it has the box installed.)

i.e. wait for the official retrofit that will likely come with the CCS adapter and the add-in module.

It will likely require a box be added in-line with the charge port control wiring, like they do in Europe to add CCS support. (As well as updating the vehicle configuration to know it has the box installed.)

i.e. wait for the official retrofit that will likely come with the CCS adapter and the add-in module.
I know this can/is done with the later 3 and why I was wondering if that existed yet for an S, but I am just being impatient 😛

Reactions: kayak1
I know this can/is done with the later 3 and why I was wondering if that existed yet for an S, but I am just being impatient 😛
The 3 uses an entirely different architecture where the charge port controller is separate and can be easily replaced. The old S&X have all of that contained inside the charger, so it can't be easily replaced, which is why they developed an add-on for Europe. (It has been rumored that that same add-on will work in North America, but getting it could be a problem.)

Reactions: kayak1 and Shelby16
The 3 uses an entirely different architecture where the charge port controller is separate and can be easily replaced. The old S&X have all of that contained inside the charger, so it can't be easily replaced, which is why they developed an add-on for Europe. (It has been rumored that that same add-on will work in North America, but getting it could be a problem.)
Very good to know! Some of the best knowledge I’ve gotten about this. Thank you!

Reactions: kayak1
For those of us with Free Unlimited Supercharging... if we were to charge at a Supercharger using the Magic dock, would we be paying the standard rate or will it be free?

Why would you want to use the MagicDock?

If you just plug in, free. If you activate via the Charge Your Non-Tesla feature in the app, you would pay the non-member rate unless you pay the $12.99/month.

For those of us with Free Unlimited Supercharging... if we were to charge at a Supercharger using the Magic dock, would we be paying the standard rate or will it be free?
You don't say what you'd be charging.

If you were charging a non-Tesla, then I doubt very seriously if Tesla would extend the free supercharging you get on your Model S to your non-Tesla. AFAIK, Tesla doesn't even extend free Supercharging to other Teslas (say, if you bought a Model 3 last year, you'd pay for Supercharging your Model 3, but not for your older Model S).

If you mean you want to charge a Model S via both the Magic Dock and Tesla's (or somebody else's) CCS1-to-Tesla adapter, then why? There's no advantage to it, and the two unnecessary adapters will, at best, make for a less-reliable connection. There might also be heating issues, since AFAIK the adapters aren't cooled, unlike V3 Supercharger cables. Even just the CCS1-to-Tesla adapter is reported to get pretty warm in some cases, although I've not heard of actual problems as a result. Using two adapters seems like asking for trouble. Of course, if you want to do this just to try it out for your own amusement, then I doubt if you'd burn your car down, but you shouldn't be surprised if Tesla charges you full rate. That said, I don't know Tesla's policies about this. Also, I fully expect somebody to try this and post a video to YouTube, so if you're just looking for amusement, you can wait for that YouTube inevitability.

If you mean you want to plug your Tesla into a Supercharger that has a Magic Dock, but not actually use the Magic Dock (just use the Tesla connector), then AFAIK you'd still get your free Supercharging. That said, I haven't heard any official word from Tesla on this, but I don't see how Tesla adding a Magic Dock would invalidate the promise of free Supercharging to cars sold with that feature.

Reactions: Rocky_H and MP3Mike