Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter is Now Available in the US Tesla Store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's pretty clear, there was a chip shortage in 2021 and CCS wasn't available in 2018 and earlier
Yeah, there was a chip shortage, so some cars got the stripped ECU and others didn't, sometimes cars delivered the same week will be different in whether or not they support CCS. So it was very much a crapshoot for some months.

Also interesting that there are two retrofit part numbers that showed up in the parts catalog for the 3/Y, one that specific to the 3 (I'm guessing older cars with the gen 3 charge port and ECU), and another that works for some 3's and Y's (I'm guessing gen 4 charge port / ecu with stripped ECU).

FYI - aside from the website accepting (or rejecting) the purchase of the CCS adapter, you can also check compatibility from within your car: go in the Software tab and press 'Additional vehicle information' to see if you have built-in CCS support:
IMG_7503.jpg
IMG_7504.jpg

So apparently you can add a CCS adapter to your cart by using your browser's developer tools, inspecting the grayed out button, and deleting the disabled="disabled" bit. Well, I managed to order one at any rate. Here's hoping they don't cancel it :) Also here's hoping I can get an ECU.

I am hoping they will let me order when I get assigned the VIN number.
If you have a local friend with an eligible Tesla in their account - or an ineligible one and a willingness to un-disable the add to cart button - you could have them order it for you. It doesn't seem to be limiting the total number you can order as long as you only do one adapter per order. At least, it lets me add one to cart right now even though I have one on the way.

For what it's worth, my car is now showing eligible on the Tesla page since updating my charge port ECU yesterday.

Reactions: israndy