Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter is Now Available in the US Tesla Store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, the verbiage on the order page updated to say I will require a retrofit. Now the followup question is: are they doing this by VIN, or are they doing it by what your car is reporting to the mothership? I.E., if I bought a non-stripped charge ECU, swapped it in, would it let me order?
I changed my stripped ECU for a compatible one and I was able to place an order, it seems it is based off of the CCS Enabled Status..

Is this Canada site? en-CA ?
When I use this like it is $325. When I log on as myself, it is $250. I don't understand that.

I live in the SF Bay Area and most of my road trips are to SoCal (LA/Orange County and San Diego). Tesla superchargers are plentiful on all routes to these destination. Based on that, I can’t see much reason to buy CCS adapter. Am I missing something? If I planned on traveling to areas outside concentrations of Tesla superchargers I guess it would be good insurance. $250 isn’t a lot, so maybe it makes sense as an insurance policy. What is motivating your decision to buy the CCS adapter.

Reactions: Jacopa
It's not always about going to places where there arent SC. Sometimes it's about convenience. For example a few weeks ago, I was in SF, and there was an EA charger literally two blocks from my cousin's house. I charged there cus then I wouldn't have to stop in San Mateo on my drive to SJ, as that is where my car wanted me to charge.

Sometimes it's about speed. I was at Great Mall, where there was both EA and a SC in the parking lot. The supercharger was only 72 kw, but I was able to pull 137kw from the EA charger. And this isn't even mentioning the supercharger was 58 cents and the EA charger was 31 cents at the time I was there.

Exactly at the price point I predicted based on the price in South Korea!

Also, I read the owners manual and unlike rumored, there is no amperage limit listed, so it is good for what ever current the CCS station can deliver. This may get interesting with the new CCS 3.0 standard (rumored to be 800 amp capable).

Keith

I live in the SF Bay Area and most of my road trips are to SoCal (LA/Orange County and San Diego). Tesla superchargers are plentiful on all routes to these destination. Based on that, I can’t see much reason to buy CCS adapter. Am I missing something? If I planned on traveling to areas outside concentrations of Tesla superchargers I guess it would be good insurance. $250 isn’t a lot, so maybe it makes sense as an insurance policy. What is motivating your decision to buy the CCS adapter.
I'm in a similar situation as you but bought one for several reasons - insurance policy in case Tesla SC not avail, many times non Tesla chargers are cheaper per kWh during peak periods, and my work has a free DC fast charger avail to use.

I'm in a similar situation as you but bought one for several reasons - insurance policy in case Tesla SC not avail, many times non Tesla chargers are cheaper per kWh during peak periods, and my work has a free DC fast charger avail to use.
The free DC fast charger at work makes it well worth purchase. I think chances of Tesla SC not being available to me onna road trip are pretty slim. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Reactions: Jayy178
It's not always about going to places where there arent SC. Sometimes it's about convenience. For example a few weeks ago, I was in SF, and there was an EA charger literally two blocks from my cousin's house. I charged there cus then I wouldn't have to stop in San Mateo on my drive to SJ, as that is where my car wanted me to charge.

Sometimes it's about speed. I was at Great Mall, where there was both EA and a SC in the parking lot. The supercharger was only 72 kw, but I was able to pull 137kw from the EA charger. And this isn't even mentioning the supercharger was 58 cents and the EA charger was 31 cents at the time I was there.
Thanks for sharing your perspectives. I might buy one just to have in the event the situations you describe manifest themselves. For me, the insurance value is the best reason, as based on my driving patterns it is unlikely I would recoup the $250 via either time opportunity cost or lower kwh cost. I charge to 80% at home most nights, and if I know I’m going to be driving a lot or going from East Bay to San Jose and back (rare), I’ll charge to 90%.

Reactions: VegasMYP
Thanks for sharing your perspectives. I might buy one just to have in the event the situations you describe manifest themselves. For me, the insurance value is the best reason, as based on my driving patterns it is unlikely I would recoup the $250 via either time opportunity cost or lower kwh cost. I charge to 80% at home most nights, and if I know I’m going to be driving a lot or going from East Bay to San Jose and back (rare), I’ll charge to 90%.
That's why I got it actually. For insurance in case a SC was full, etc. But the convenience factor caught me by surprise, and I ended up using it more than I thought I would. I like using SC on road trips, and then using EA while I'm at my destination, since EA tends to be scattered around in the city, typically at places I'm going to anyways, like Valley Fair Mall, etc.

But the cost savings was real. I drove from Seattle to the Bay area in late spring and paid $54 using almost exclusively EA. I made the same drive a few weeks ago, but only using superchargers, and it cost me $92...

EA has been giving away CCS power for weeks now. I just did a roadtrip to try each of the Bay Area and Sacramento Electrify America chargers. Hit 75 of them in 24 hours, and with free charging 93% of the time. In the few months I have had my CCS I am getting close to paying it off with all the free places to charge in California

If you do charge at EA in the near future, make sure the screen says Complimentary Session before plugging in. I was at a ton of chargers overnight where one stall was free but the others were not. I only hit about 5 that had no free charging

That's why I got it actually. For insurance in case a SC was full, etc. But the convenience factor caught me by surprise, and I ended up using it more than I thought I would. I like using SC on road trips, and then using EA while I'm at my destination, since EA tends to be scattered around in the city, typically at places I'm going to anyways, like Valley Fair Mall, etc.

But the cost savings was real. I drove from Seattle to the Bay area in late spring and paid $54 using almost exclusively EA. I made the same drive a few weeks ago, but only using superchargers, and it cost me $92...
For me it’s purely a choice play as I’ve got an EA pass as a perk and our MX has FUSC.

It’ll be nice to not have to think of EA as a last resort due to slow CHAdeMo speeds.

Website required login and the removed the option
Hmmm... I was able to order one when not logged in. It did not show up in the Tesla app while logged in on my iPad so I went to the website using Safari and was able to order it while I was not logged into the site. I had to re-enter all of the address info, credit card, etc. like I was a new customer. I received an order confirmation email and they hit my CC l so it looks like it all went through.