Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS adapter please.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, to complete my understanding about the CCS standard, are the J1772 pins on the CCS connector only used for communication to control the DC charging?
Yes, that's my understanding of how CCS chargers actually work today.

As a practical matter, many (most?) of the CCS or CHAdeMO charger sites that I have seen personally or in online database lookups actually have a separate J1772 AC cable adjacent to the DC charger.

Yeah, the CCS does look like it was designed by a government bureau. That is not a compliment. :D

But SAE doesn't stand for silly auto equipment. There must have been some very specific reasons they did it that way. I'd guess higher voltages and/or higher amps for future apps, or higher capabilities before watercooling becomes necessary.
Or the automotive engineers had no incentive to care about design because it's not like their employers (the legacy auto manufacturers) wanted to make something compelling that might canaballize their ICE business.

Sounds like the OP was an overnight guest.

I think he was saying that you shouldn't leave your car charging overnight at a CCS charger or a Tesla Supercharger. It fast charges so if you are leaving it there overnight you are blocking the charger from people that might need it after your car is fully charged. The fact that it is located at a hotel is irrelevant.

EPA fine VW 2 billions for diesel emission scandal for new infrastructure and access for zero-emission vehicles,so if VW decides to go with CCS, you can consider CHAdeMO dead.
The California settlement with NRG required both DC charging standards to be supported. Therefore, I expect CARB to do it again as they oversee the California portion of the VW settlement. Hopefully the EPA has similarly strong oversight over the VW settlement on behalf of the rest of the country.

I could really use a CCS adapter here in Hong Kong. We have become the largest market for Tesla and YOU CAN NOT GET A SUPER CHARGER SPOT WITHOUT A LING WAIT. There are usually 4 chargers, all full, and four or five cars waiting.
There are also usually other fast chargers nearby. If they are CHAdeMO then there are Teslas hooked up with adapters. If they are CCS, they are empty and I would LOVE to be able to use them. - Wendi t have chargers with both standards here.

Reactions: Ulmo
I could really use a CCS adapter here in Hong Kong. We have become the largest market for Tesla and YOU CAN NOT GET A SUPER CHARGER SPOT WITHOUT A LING WAIT. There are usually 4 chargers, all full, and four or five cars waiting.
There are also usually other fast chargers nearby. If they are CHAdeMO then there are Teslas hooked up with adapters. If they are CCS, they are empty and I would LOVE to be able to use them. - Wendi t have chargers with both standards here.
If Tesla made a CCS adapter for your car, all those cars that are currently crowding your other charging options would crowd the CCS ones too. The only solution is more charging stations, preferably where people live. Charging your car where you normally park is far and away the best way to feed your EV.

Actually there is a bigger problem with a CCS adapter (this was figured out a bit ago by the Nissan Leaf people wanting a CCS adapter). The communication protocal with CCS is completely 100% different than other charging solutions. Tesla & CHAdeMO have the same communication language, CCS does not. The adapter would require not only a physical harness and maybe some regulation of voltage, etc, but would require an entire component for communication translation. That is one hefty modification. Seeing as there is so very few CCS only stations, Tesla is probably spending zero time overcoming this communication hurdle. If it becomes popular...maybe. That said, a tesla to CHAdeMO adapter could be made for Nissan Leafs because of the easiness of integration.

As to what difference it was, I don't quite remember - but I *think* that CHAdeMO and Tesla use a similar type OBD analog communication while CCS uses a digital completely new language developed just for CCS (that does the exact same thing and CHAdeMO and Tesla - why build a new language???).

Actually there is a bigger problem with a CCS adapter (this was figured out a bit ago by the Nissan Leaf people wanting a CCS adapter). The communication protocal with CCS is completely 100% different than other charging solutions. Tesla & CHAdeMO have the same communication language, CCS does not. The adapter would require not only a physical harness and maybe some regulation of voltage, etc, but would require an entire component for communication translation. That is one hefty modification. Seeing as there is so very few CCS only stations, Tesla is probably spending zero time overcoming this communication hurdle. If it becomes popular...maybe. That said, a tesla to CHAdeMO adapter could be made for Nissan Leafs because of the easiness of integration.

As to what difference it was, I don't quite remember - but I *think* that CHAdeMO and Tesla use a similar type OBD analog communication while CCS uses a digital completely new language developed just for CCS (that does the exact same thing and CHAdeMO and Tesla - why build a new language???).

Tesla Supercharging is basically CANBus, with some additions I think.

Where did you read that Tesla was like CHAdeMO but really different from CCS? I thought I'd read the opposite, that CCS was pretty similar to Tesla native.

I have never seen a CCS-only charger. Lots of CHAdeMO- only, and a few with both. Most of the new installations NOT located in Nissan dealerships seem to be both.

The CCS adapter will no doubt be smaller and less expensive, but since I already have a CHAdeMO, I doubt I'll get one. The only places likely to have CCS-only is dealerships, and those are unlikely to be Tesla-friendly for long, if at all.
I've been stuck waiting for charges many times because a Chademo was in use and all that was available was a CCS. Luckily, that is usually at the ChargePoint headquarters in Campbell, but I think that will probably change as CCS becomes more standard in the future. It's definitely time.

Maybe Tesla is waiting for the best design they can get, and will release it right before CCS becomes a pretty popular charger type to have as the only charger type available. Let's hope Tesla doesn't try to drag its feet.

An alternative is some random 3rd party company can build a CCS-Chademo adapter, that is specifically made to also be compatible with Tesla's Chademo-Tesla adapter. I know, it would be ridiculous, but I'd buy one if it was the only one available, because I already have the Chademo adapter, and I think the marketplace of those with only Chademo is already pretty large.

Communications conversion is not a hard problem for those of us used to programming that sort of thing. We've done it lots of times. E.g., lots of VM systems over all of time. Lots of emulators. Lots of Internet protocols. God, the list seems endless!
Interesting. I don't see that charger listed on Chargepoint. You might want to add it.

@jbcarioca my trunk well is also where I keep my adaptors. Currently I have a 6-50, L6-20, 14-30 and 14-50 along with the standard adaptors that Tesla provides, as well as a 15 foot NEMA 14-50 extension cord. That's a lot of stuff.
I stopped using it when everything there would get wet. Problem is, the only water proofing that area has is the bottom plastic of the car, and that easily tears, and once there's a hole in it, it starts getting wet inside the cabin area, especially that trunk well.

Last edited:
Tesla Supercharging is basically CANBus, with some additions I think.

Where did you read that Tesla was like CHAdeMO but really different from CCS? I thought I'd read the opposite, that CCS was pretty similar to Tesla native.
The datasheet for the Chargepoint CPE 200 states:
CHAdeMO – JEVS G104 over CAN
CCS1 – SAE J1772 over PLC
It's generally accepted that the Chademo adapter has intelligence to translate protocols (no, I don't have a reference, and no, I'm not pulling mine apart to prove it:p). Even though they both speak the same "language" (CANbus), the "dialects' are very different. You can run both protocols over CANbus (like running IP and DECnet over the same ethernet cable).

I've been stuck waiting for charges many times because a Chademo was in use and all that was available was a CCS. Luckily, that is usually at the ChargePoint headquarters in Campbell, but I think that will probably change as CCS becomes more standard in the future. It's definitely time.
Many of the combined Chademo/CCS stations can only support one session at a time - if the Chademo is currently in use, you can't use the CCS and vice versa. I use a CPE 200 frequently. It can deliver 50kW to the car, but is only wired to draw 52kW AC (ie, only enough for one session - see datasheet for the Chargepoint CPE 200). Even if it could share (like the Supercharge A/B pairing), there's no user interface support - you start a charge session by tapping your card, pick a plug, and then finish the session. There's no way to start a new charge session while one is underway.

Also, the data sheet says:
Plug-In Detection No selection of plug required. Auto detects which plug is connected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulmo
tga, yes, and I knew someone might bring that up, so I should have clarified, but got lazy: I'm speaking of CCS-only chargers. They are presently rare, but correct me if I'm wrong, no new car models are made with Chademo any more. That tells me Chademo is on its way out, at least to the extent of continual coverage.

My fear (simply because Tesla hasn't yet come out with a CCS adapter, something possible to remedy) was somewhat pushed back by government forces in California mandating dual support of Chademo and CCS in many negotiated settlements and maybe in funding standards, but any lower cost non-government controlled installations will be incentivized within a few years to only support whatever is the most current standard in order to reduce cost, and that is no longer Chademo.