Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked at the A2Z website and noticed the unit’s specifications. Apparently, it’s maximum temp for storage is said to be 85 degrees. Around now my trunk and frunk are around 100 degrees. That sounds like a recipe for difficulty.

Ever heard about molds? This is not 3D printed. It’s not made from a home basement. Spoke with the fellas, really solid product with a lot of development behind it.
It looks just like 3D printed object or 3D printed plus mold??

1.png

2_720x.png

4_720x.png

I was one of the beta testers, I had one for 1 month and a half. Trust me. It’s far from 3D printed. I will ask them but it feels way too strong and the weight is too similar to OEM to be 3D printed. I wish I could give an answer, but will ask them.
I don't mean to argue or anything. Just saw the pictures with layered surface texture on the CCS1 side of the housing. That's all.

A2Z Specs.

Specifications : Power : rated for up to 150kW. Rated Current : 200A~150A Conductor Material : Titanium Copper Alloy Shell Material : Polyoxymethylene (Insulator inflammability UL94 VO) Operating Temperature: -30°C to 50°C. Storage Temperature : -30°C to 85°C Rated Voltage: 500~1000V. Security : Dual Temp. kill switch. Charging stops when adapter reaches 90ºC. Sealing gasket: silicon rubber Security : Anti-Theft Lock. Certification: CE, TUV, RoHS, ETL (in the process) Degree of protection : IP55 (Protection from dirt, dust, oil, and other non-corrosive material. Complete protection from contact with enclosed equipment. Protection from water, up to water projected by a nozzle against enclosure from any direction.

Reactions: jsight
It doesn’t have the pin, but it does have an insert hole for the CCS handle to lock in place. It “clicks” on the adapter. There is a video on their YouTube and instagram that shows how it clips with the charging station connector.
The question is at a station with a working latch (some stations may have broken ones), can you disconnect the CCS cable while the adapter is still connected to the car? The Tesla design prevents that with the locking pin, while the Setec one didn't. This locking mechanism is required to meet the safety standards of CCS.

I have the Chademo adapter from my model three and picked up the Korean CSS adapter.

They’ve both come in handy a few times…

My mother lives in New Jersey and you would think that there would actually be lots of Tesla chargers… But they’ve only begun to sprout up recently.
where abouts? Seems like a lot to me. NJ is a small state. I have a 120-130 drive to my sister's and there are at least 4. I had to look harder for a nearby EA to try out the adapter

Reactions: jsight
I asked A2Z about locking pin:

• A2Z EVOur adapter has a locking feature to the vehicle that prevents it from being removed/stolen while charging. As for the CCS1 plug from the charging stations, it clips into our adapter. Now I understand your concern, according to our testings and research most if not all charging stations have a release button, that when pressed will automatically stop the charging process.
    8:34 PM
  • YouThank you
    8:35 PM
  • A2Z EVWe’re aware of the safety pin that’s on OEM version, we are working on more security features as we speak. We are even working on a more powerful adapter that can reach higher rates

Reactions: mbianchi

• A2Z EVOur adapter has a locking feature to the vehicle that prevents it from being removed/stolen while charging. As for the CCS1 plug from the charging stations, it clips into our adapter. Now I understand your concern, according to our testings and research most if not all charging stations have a release button, that when pressed will automatically stop the charging process.
  • YouThank you
  • A2Z EVWe’re aware of the safety pin that’s on OEM version, we are working on more security features as we speak. We are even working on a more powerful adapter that can reach higher rates
Fair explanation. Thanks for bringing the conversation to us. Can’t wait to receive mine.

Reactions: CaptUAL

• A2Z EVOur adapter has a locking feature to the vehicle that prevents it from being removed/stolen while charging.
I think it's misleading to say it has a locking feature. Tesla's proprietary connector has a locking pin system already, so any passive adapter is naturally locked to the car when charging. The thing that doesn't lock is on the other side of the adapter (that's why there are addons for the J1772 adapter that comes with the car, to prevent people from disconnecting the J1772 end).
  • As for the CCS1 plug from the charging stations, it clips into our adapter. Now I understand your concern, according to our testings and research most if not all charging stations have a release button, that when pressed will automatically stop the charging process.
  • YouThank you
So that sounds like it has the same issue as the Setec adapter. Relying only the release button to stop the session is not sufficient to meet the CCS standard, the locking pin on the vehicle side is part of the standard too. Although this is a bit safer than the Setec, given as a passive adapter it does pass through the proximity pilot signal.
More details in this post for those interested:
Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

Reactions: Jeff N and jsight
Madison / Morristown - not a lot of HS chargers.

There are Tesla chargers outside of the area (287/78 and rt 24 in Summit)…
They are mostly along main routes - the Turnpike has a few, Route 1 in North Brunswick (10 minutes from me), etc. Which makes sense because these are mainly for road trips, and you would not need to stop more than once in NJ. Which is your loss. :cool: