Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't bother with the Setec/Lectron CCS1 adapter nor the official Tesla ChaDeMo adapters. They are expensive and slow. Buy the official Tesla CCS1 adapter from South Korea through a proxy service like many of us Model 3 owners are doing (we're even retrofitting our older cars to support CCS1). See this proxy service that many of us have used Get your Tesla's CCS1 Adapter From Korea!. You will have to give them your Tesla login so they can log in on the Korean Tesla website and order, because Tesla only allows orders in South Korea and limits them to 1 per owner. After they order it, you
can change your account password. Cost is about $320 including the proxy service fees and shipping. If your Tesla does not have the correct charge port ECU to work with the Tesla CCS1 adapter, it will cost an additional $180 to buy the ECU and wiring adapter harness and replace them yourself (see here for reference Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach).
Thread link to thread where people have done this successfully?

Keith

For others who may be interested in going this route. My transaction went very well, last element was paying through Paypal which comes back with their usual guarantee of "you have 180 days to dispute this transaction" was seamless and they responded almost immediately to my questions so I am a happy camper so far.

As mentioned, this adapter is only a physical adapter or in other words a way of physically connecting a CCS1 cable end to the proprietary Tesla inlet on your car. Nothing but plastic and copper. No special circuit boards that need to shake hands in order to talk. Nothing to go wrong assuming Tesla has the vehicle software worked out so the car can talk to the CCS charge station and permit juice to flow into the Tesla. Both my 2020 model Y and the S say they are CCS compatible when bringing up the screen so both should function. Will report back when tried.

Last edited:
Do they mess with your address or something? Is your Tesla login only required to validate that you own a Tesla?
The Tesla login is to validate that you have a Tesla. They order to their temporary (warehouse) shipping address and use their own credit card to pay for it. The only effect I saw to my account was when I went into the Tesla online store today and added something to my cart. On checkout, it shows all my correct info and the last 4 digits of my CC, but remembered the billing address as the Korean one that Harumio used. Once you order something else on the online store it will remember whatever address you use for the order.

For others who may be interested in going this route. My transaction went very well, last element was paying through Paypal which comes back with their usual guarantee of "you have 180 days to dispute this transaction" was seamless and they responded almost immediately to my questions so I am a happy camper so far.

As mentioned, this adapter is only an adapter or in other words a way of physically connecting a CCS1 cable end to the proprietary Tesla plug on your car. Nothing but plastic and copper. No special circuit boards that need to shake hands in order tho talk. Nothing to go wrong assuming Tesla has the software worked out and is free of bugs. Both my 2020 model Y and the S say they are CCS compatible when bringing up the screen so both should function. Will report back when tried.

You beat me to it... just did the order, once the "order" is done there I'll switch the password again. Very easy to deal with and I used PayPal too... I'll report back once I've gotten it. Too bad I didn't see this earlier, planning on a trip to Vegas next week. Would have been nice to have beforehand, but I'll be ready for the next trip I take, Can't wait to try it out.

Thread link to thread where people have done this successfully?

Keith
My adapter is on it's way and should be here this week. Here are others:

Read some of the comments here

Reactions: Fourdoor
You beat me to it... just did the order, once the "order" is done there I'll switch the password again. Very easy to deal with and I used PayPal too... I'll report back once I've gotten it. Too bad I didn't see this earlier, planning on a trip to Vegas next week. Would have been nice to have beforehand, but I'll be ready for the next trip I take, Can't wait to try it out.
Eventually we will get an email saying the order has shipped just like every transaction through an account with Tesla. Once I get this I will then change my password as I now know they no longer need to access the account.

Reactions: alexcue
Yes, if your Tesla's additional info screen shows that CCS is supported it will work for you. The official Tesla adapter is passthrough and there are no electronics inside it. So all the smarts are done by the charge port controller in the car. If your additional info screen shows CCS as supported, that means that you have the charge port controller that supports it.
If this is just a passthrough device I wonder why no one made a 3rd party adapter as those technically should work as well. If anything it's a business idea for someone!

My adapter is on it's way and should be here this week. Here are others:

Read some of the comments here
Please, let us know how long it took from when they let you know it shipped to when it got to your door.

If this is just a passthrough device I wonder why no one made a 3rd party adapter as those technically should work as well. If anything it's a business idea for someone!
There was a 3rd party adapter that was also passthrough, but that company is in Ukraine and therefore no longer an option for us Tesla US CCS1/CCS2 (400A)
Please, let us know how long it took from when they let you know it shipped to when it got to your door.
It took 7 days from me paying Harumio for them to get the adapter. They sent it out the same day and it looks like I will get it within 7 days. It's currently estimated to be delivered by this Friday.

Since CCS is enabled in newer cars in the US, CCS adapter from tesla will be available ( Please don't ask me when?). Since a lot rides on the firmware from Tesla any 3rd party adapter can easily be disabled by a sw update from tesla. So adapters like Sertec will have to continuously play a catch up game to stay on par with Tesla's firmware updates. I am not sure about Tesla's CCS adapter from S Korea.

Since CCS is enabled in newer cars in the US, CCS adapter from tesla will be available ( Please don't ask me when?). Since a lot rides on the firmware from Tesla any 3rd party adapter can easily be disabled by a sw update from tesla. So adapters like Sertec will have to continuously play a catch up game to stay on par with Tesla's firmware updates. I am not sure about Tesla's CCS adapter from S Korea.
Tesla's adapter (the one available only in South Korea) and the one from EVhub (from Ukraine) are passthrough and don't have any electronics inside. The Setec adapter isn't really on par because its emulating ChaDeMo and has slower speeds. The only thing going for it right now is that anybody can buy it, but it costs 2x as much and is 3x slower than the Tesla one.

Tesla's adapter (the one available only in South Korea) and the one from EVhub (from Ukraine) are passthrough and don't have any electronics inside. The Setec adapter isn't really on par because its emulating ChaDeMo and has slower speeds. The only thing going for it right now is that anybody can buy it, but it costs 2x as much and is 3x slower than the Tesla one.
Any difference between European CCS and US CCS implementation from Tesla?

Mine produced in September 2021 does not support CCS. I suspect it will need a retrofit in addition to support the adapter.
I also have a Sept 21 that didn't support CCS. I was able to order the CCS-enabled ECU from my nearest Service Center and swapped it out myself. Now I have CCS enabled. Here's a little write-up of what I did: How to remove trunk trim to access the ECU?