Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
🤣
How funny. (Since I read Chinese). It says genuine parts for Tesla, originally produced in Taiwan, imported to Beijing, China. And we are buying it from South Korea to North America.
This unit was designed with America in mind for sure. Not a word of anything but english on the box or unit except for the funny Chinese sticker on it. Heck even the desiccant sac is only in english.

For those looking to buy a case or something for it, the original box is pretty sturdy so good enough.

IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0008.jpg

Last edited:
is it just me or does the sheer size of this adapter compared to Tesla's smaller-sized connector show the world how a standard should be?

i mean, can you really have a case for CCS to be a "standard" with the bulk of the CCS connector? Take a regualr Joe or Jenny off the street, tell them to plug in a CCS and a Tesla connector, which do u prefer. would be interesting is all i'm saying.

i have handled the Chademo in my Leaf and using that was very awkward/heavy. clunky is how i describe charging connectors other than Tesla.

is it simply that CCS can do higher power? I forget if it's the volts or amps (or both!) that CCS 'leads' in when compared to Tesla's connector/charging protocol(s).

And until plug and go is a thing universally the actual re-fueling seems a LOT better in the Tesla world. so far.

Reactions: rudythecar and IdaX
I would agree the Tesla connection is a much better thought out, smaller, lighter connection for L1/L2/DC charging, much better than just about everything else out there (especially the CHAdeMO howitzer-on-a-hose connector)

Unfortunately, like Betamax and Minidisc, sometimes the better product isn’t the one that gets standardized.

Last edited:
For those that have received your adapter - do you see it in your Tesla “order history” on your account or in your app?

I now have a record of my CCS1 adapter purchase (in Korean) on the Tesla - Korea website. (I have to first log into my Tesla account, so for convenience I visit the Tesla - America website first.)

Interestingly, there is no record (yet) of the purchase on the Tesla - America website. That might be a good thing?

• Informative
Reactions: Exelion
is it simply that CCS can do higher power? I forget if it's the volts or amps (or both!) that CCS 'leads' in when compared to Tesla's connector/charging protocol(s).
CCS protocol puts a cap at 500A. In one of Bjorn's or out of spec videos (don't remember which), they said the v3 supercharger outputs 600A or something like that. They said in Europe even tho Tesla uses CCS the v3 supercharger doesn't strictly follow/adhere to CCS specs when connected to a Tesla.

I had to switch to Korean Language, then click around at the links (because I can't read Korean) and found it there:

View attachment 797467
Thanks for posting. I ordered on 4/21 and got a receipt, but didn’t see anything under my order history. I was a little concerned. Now that I’ve logged into the Korean website I do see my order is showing “complete” (using Google translate), but I cannot track the order.

I would agree the Tesla connection is a much better thought out, smaller, lighter connection for L1/L2/DC charging, much better than just about everything else out there (especially the CHAdeMO howitzer-on-a-hose connector)

Unfortunately, like Betamax and Minidisc, sometimes the better product isn’t the one that gets standardized.
Oh god. Dont even get me started on HDDVD vs Bluray.

That said, Tesla had the chance to share their connector with others and Im not sure exactly what happened there.

• Funny
Reactions: DelPhonic1
Thanks for posting. I ordered on 4/21 and got a receipt, but didn’t see anything under my order history. I was a little concerned. Now that I’ve logged into the Korean website I do see my order is showing “complete” (using Google translate), but I cannot track the order.

A number of people have mentioned not being able to track the Harumio order.

If I understand correctly, shipping to North America is at least a two- or three-part process.
  1. The adapter is shipped from Tesla to the Harumio address in Seoul. (No tracking is available for that leg of the journey.)
  2. Harumio transfers the adapter to DHL (or other company) for shipping from Korea to North America, probably by air. (I am hoping that Harumio or DHL provide tracking information for that part of the trip.)
  3. Once in a North America customs “port” (e.g., Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc.), the package may optionally be transferred to a ground carrier (like FedEx) for final ground shipment and delivery. (Again, I hope for tracking info. But I dont necessarily expect it.)
This is speculative.

…That said, Tesla had the chance to share their connector with others and Im not sure exactly what happened there.

I read that early on, when Tesla was just the new kid on the block, it wanted to share with others and together create a universal charging standard. But it was blown off by the other, bigger manufacturers. So Tesla independently developed its own, better (at least for the North American electrical grid), charging standard. And the rest, as they say, is history.

That parable may be overly simplistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: finman100
A number of people have mentioned not being able to track the Harumio order.

If I understand correctly, shipping to North America is at least a two- or three-part process.
  1. The adapter is shipped from Tesla to the Harumio address in Seoul. (No tracking is available for that leg of the journey.)
  2. Harumio transfers the adapter to DHL (or other company) for shipping from Korea to North America, probably by air. (I am hoping that Harumio or DHL provide tracking information for that part of the trip.)
  3. Once in a North America customs “port” (e.g., Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc.), the package may optionally be transferred to a ground carrier (like FedEx) for final ground shipment and delivery. (Again, I hope for tracking info. But I dont necessarily expect it.)
This is speculative.
Probably all correct.

I'm going to insert 0. (above 1): Harumio gets another party to place the order for you. If you setup Google Authenticator to login to Tesla, that third party won't be able to log in as you, so Harumio then asks you for one of the 10 one-time-use emergency passwords so they can get in. Then that third party uses it and places the order.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
Looking at that adapter a little closer,

Tesla could’ve made the L2 pins active, so the adapter could also function as a J1772 plug as well. That way we only need to carry around one adapter instead of two. (CCS1 & J1772)
Not without the exposed DC pins being live when AC charging. Which would require a cover and interlock switches. So not really practical.