Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fits, like a glove....

Sorry to pester you, but the third photo is the width of the box again from the back, correct? So it shows the same dimension as in Photo 1, correct? (Or do I have that wrong?) Do you know the depth of the box (how thick/deep/high it is) from the front (top) to the back (bottom)? (Actually, I guess it would have to be about 5 1/2" to 6" deep, based on the depth of the adapter itself (from Photo 4). Actually, I think I can gauge the depth based on the photos by Midnightsun in Post #81.

Your shots are appreciated. I keep thinking that the adapter is larger than it is. Great that it fits easily in the (Model Y) glove-box.

I am going to see if I can find a nice (black) nylon zippered bag and add an insert of cubed foam to hold it safely in the trunk. If I do I will share the sources.

I'll have to get this before my next trip to Mississippi. I checked and there are EA chargers in both Greenville, AL and Mobile, AL near the 150 KW Tesla chargers. I can set my destination to the super chargers to get the preconditioning and try the faster EA ones first.

Question is wait for the US release or order from Korea. Anyone think there is a chance Tesla will block the ones from Korea when they release in the US? Or am I just being paranoid?

They are literally a dumb passthrough with no electronics in them... no way I can think of for Tesla to block use of them unless they do a software update to disable ALL CCS capability on North American cars until they release the adapter for sale here.

Keith

• Helpful
Reactions: Daekwan and tps5352
I ordered mine Saturday night (april 23) so that would be Sunday Morning in Korea. The initial phase seems to be all computer driven so I was able to get the order paid for on Saturday, but it didn't go through the Tesla website order process until Monday... I will update when something else happens. I e-mailed them and asked if it was OK to change my password now since the order has been placed with Tesla.

Keith

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
...no way...for Tesla to block use of them unless they do a software update...
...Anyone think there is a chance Tesla will block the ones from Korea when they release in the US?...

...I think the question you might have meant is:

Will Tesla somehow block the sale of Korean CCS1 adapters to North American buyers well before it eventually releases its adapter directly for sale to buyers in North America?

OH! I understand now. You (CapsEngineer) meant somehow later block the functioning of Korean adapters already in use in North America. I thought you meant block future sales of more adapters imported from Korea. That makes more sense, now.

As to blocking the function of the adapter in existing cars, I'll leave that to more knowledgeable participants. But clearly the adapter itself won't be able to be "stopped" if it is like a 120v outlet or something--i.e., a dumb device that no software or radio waves can influence directly.

And it seems to me any drastic step that Tesla took via a future firmware update to regulate CCS charging would be like a "nuclear option"--spitefully harmful to all sides. Could Tesla differentiate between an "illegal" adapter from Korea and one sold in North America?

Perhaps dumb devices do have their advantages in this age of WiFi-connected, firmware upgradeable products.

Last edited:
OH! I understand now. You (CapsEngineer) meant somehow later block the functioning of Korean adapters already in use in North America. I thought you meant block future sales of more adapters imported from Korea. That makes more sense, now.

As to blocking the function of the adapter in existing cars, I'll leave that to more knowledgeable participants. But clearly the adapter itself won't be able to be "stopped" if it is like a 120v outlet or something--a dumb device that no software or radio waves can influence directly.

And it seems to me any drastic step that Tesla took via a future firmware update to regulate CCS charging would be like a "nuclear option"--spitefully harmful to all sides. Could Tesla differentiate between an "illegal" adapter from Korea and one sold in North America?

Perhaps dumb devices do have their advantages in this age of WiFi-connected, firmware downloadable products.
I highly doubt Tesla would do such a thing.

-it’s most likely the exact same product sold in Asia that will be sold in N. America. A simple set of wires in a plastic housing.

-too much work to block off a few people who ordered from Korea even if they could do it. Same product coming from the same company (Tesla). What would this accomplish? Nothing worthwhile. Only reason The SETEC CCS1 adapter got blocked was due to safety.

-we’ll have to wait until someone dismantles one and see if it really is just a pass-through cable. I got my bets on that it is.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
I highly doubt Tesla would do such a thing.

-it’s most likely the exact same product sold in Asia that will be sold in N. America. A simple set of wires in a plastic housing.

-too much work to block off a few people who ordered from Korea even if they could do it. Same product coming from the same company (Tesla). What would this accomplish? Nothing worthwhile. Only reason The SETEC CCS1 adapter got blocked was due to safety.

-we’ll have to wait until someone dismantles one and see if it really is just a pass-through cable. I got my bets on that it is.

My concern is that the adapter is only supposed to be rated for 300 amps, and we clearly are putting more than 300 amps through it if people are getting at or near 200 KW with it... that is somewhere in the 500 amp range. Either Tesla will ignore this (hope hope) or they will push a software update that limits charging on CCS to a max of 300 amps... that would limit us to V2 supercharger speeds (possibly 100 KW or less) on CCS.

Keith

PS: How many amps does a V3 Supercharger supply? Looking at the charging curve with 250 KW at low SOC (thus low pack voltage) it has to be pushing massive amps to achieve that charging speed. I probably have a data log at home, but I am at work now :)
PPS: <edit> Looking at information available, at low SOC 10% to 20% you go from 280ish Volts to 295ish Volts... this is the meat of the 250 KW charging zone... that would be 890 amps peak on the V3... much more than I have been told anywhere. Show where this math is wrong please :D

Last edited:
So can I charge my MYLR using electrify Americas 350kwh?

On out of spec reviews, he was saying someone used the CCS adapter on their model 3 driving across the country using EA, and was able to get > 200kwh.
Charging rate is measured in kW, not kwh.

If you charge at 100 kW * 1 hour --> 100 kWh came out of the "wall"/unit. 100 kW * 2 hours? 200 kWh

Multiply the units and values.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Vector
nice
1650968300318.png

So my napkin math says if I can sustain 60kw or above speed on Evgo's per minute pricing at $0.3/min, it is equivalent to $0.3/kwh?
Or in another word, at $0.3/min and 50kw charging speed, it is $0.324/kwh?

And does that mean if I can pull 150kw for 15 minutes (with 350kw CCS on a low battery which is likely), that comes out to $0.108/kwh? Which is almost at same price as my home service rate.

I ordered mine Saturday night (april 23) so that would be Sunday Morning in Korea. The initial phase seems to be all computer driven so I was able to get the order paid for on Saturday, but it didn't go through the Tesla website order process until Monday... I will update when something else happens. I e-mailed them and asked if it was OK to change my password now since the order has been placed with Tesla.

Keith

I got email confirmation from tesla for my order. Its all in korean so I cant read it LOL

Did he say you can change your password now?

Reactions: Daekwan
Mine shipped as well today.

04/20 - Ordered via Harumio
04/21 - Harumio put Tesla Order for adapter
04/26 - Harumio shipped via FedEx expecting to receive 04/29

I've requested Fedex instead of DHL from Harumio because I didn't have good experience with DHL in the past.

My concern is that the adapter is only supposed to be rated for 300 amps, and we clearly are putting more than 300 amps through it if people are getting at or near 200 KW with it... that is somewhere in the 500 amp range. Either Tesla will ignore this (hope hope) or they will push a software update that limits charging on CCS to a max of 300 amps... that would limit us to V2 supercharger speeds (possibly 100 KW or less) on CCS.

Keith

PS: How many amps does a V3 Supercharger supply? Looking at the charging curve with 250 KW at low SOC (thus low pack voltage) it has to be pushing massive amps to achieve that charging speed. I probably have a data log at home, but I am at work now :)
PPS: <edit> Looking at information available, at low SOC 10% to 20% you go from 280ish Volts to 295ish Volts... this is the meat of the 250 KW charging zone... that would be 890 amps peak on the V3... much more than I have been told anywhere. Show where this math is wrong please :D
The battery runs on 400V so for 250kW then it’s around 625A

is it just me or does the sheer size of this adapter compared to Tesla's smaller-sized connector show the world how a standard should be?

i mean, can you really have a case for CCS to be a "standard" with the bulk of the CCS connector? Take a regualr Joe or Jenny off the street, tell them to plug in a CCS and a Tesla connector, which do u prefer. would be interesting is all i'm saying.

i have handled the Chademo in my Leaf and using that was very awkward/heavy. clunky is how i describe charging connectors other than Tesla.

is it simply that CCS can do higher power? I forget if it's the volts or amps (or both!) that CCS 'leads' in when compared to Tesla's connector/charging protocol(s).

And until plug and go is a thing universally the actual re-fueling seems a LOT better in the Tesla world. so far.
Teslas isn't backwards compatible with J1772

Has anyone thought about a case for this adapter?
I am worried about the long protruding stick being damaged by accident.
Hard shell EVA case might be great for its protection.

...Yes I have....leaving the adapter to knock around in the trunk is asking for trouble, imo.

Anyone looking for a safe padded case, get a small pistol soft sided range bag, should fit great...

The adapter shipping box is apparently about 6 1/2" long by 5 1/2" wide by maybe 5 1/2" deep (but I'm unsure about that depth reading). The adapter itself is about 4 1/2" high by 3 1/4" wide by 5 1/4" deep (front CCS1 socket to back TPC plug).

For a safe, convenient, inexpensive, and innocuous-looking storage bag, I figure something black (to "hide" in a trunk), nylon fabric sides, zippered, and either padded or insulated (for added protection), with cubed foam added. Obviously there are Halliburton, Pelican, and other top-drawer hard-shell cases that are supper protective, but also super expensive. Plus they clearly say, "I have something valuable inside me."

Some preliminary ideas:
These are just a couple of preliminary ideas. TMC probably includes people with current and past professional and amateur expertise in photography, target shooting and hunting, nautical endeavors, various outdoor scientific and engineering activities, law enforcement and the military, construction, and other activities where portable storage containers are used. I'm sure someone will know exactly the best kind of case for this adapter.

Eventually, CCS1 adapters will be, if not a-dime-a-dozen, certainly much more commonplace. But right now they are rare (hence valuable) yet relatively small, perhaps vulnerable to damage(?), and easily transportable (i.e., easy to make off with). What are your ideas?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: alexcue and kayak1
So my wife came home with the Y today at 52% SOC. Took it to the local Petro Canada gas station where they have ccs1/chademo units. The CCS ones are 350kw so pretty powerful.

Never used one or did anything like it before but piece of cake is all I can say.

Plugged the adapter into the CCS cord and then into the car. Screen said communicating with the car and then a big green check sign came up on screen and asked me to swipe any major credit card which I did. Starting charging right away at a constant 74kw. I let it go for 17 minutes where it had put in 29% and cost me a whooping $3.60 cdn. Charged
from 51% to 80%

Had the battery been warmer and a lower state of charge, I am sure it would have been much quicker. Bottomline is it works no problem.

We now have the option of all Superchargers and everywhere else also, huge advantage for sure.

Man is that CCS plug big and bulky compared to the Tesla unit. Feels weird having a 15' cord, which is about the only thing they have done better than the park within a foot or else Tesla Supercharger cord.

IMG_0013.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg

Last edited: