Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are talking about someone making $41 potential profit, yet people are buying these and trying to mark them up triple+ to sell them HERE in the marketplace subforum. I find someone making $41 trival, but someone trying to make triple the price "icky":

(asked $1000)

(asking $900)

(asked $1000)
JFC, at those prices they should at least include shipping!

• Funny
Reactions: alexcue
And now you have to pay tax on eBay purchases….

The people who are bidding on these must not read these forums
I see there are close to a dozen of the adapters listed on Ebay now. Market seems to be saturating a bit....saw a Buy It Now price of $850 for one of them. Of course as soon as these things go out of stock and availability plummets, expect to see a rise in prices back over $1k and beyond.

Reactions: kayak1
Thanks for giving me confidence to place the order fellas!!!

Skimmed through the first 15 pages but - I paid via PayPal with my Amex (better protection than PayPal’s buyer protection) and then I switch my Tesla account password after I receive shipping confirmation from Harumio?
I changed my password as soon as I got the email from Tesla that they got the order. It didn't matter though because I only gave Haurmio one passcode. The passcodes expire after they are used and they didn't ask for another.

Reactions: kayak1
As promised, I did a full charge from 6% to 100% on my local 350 KW CCS while logging with scan my Tesla ( I do stupid things so you don't have too! ) .

This station maxes out at 450 amps, the absolute max by the current CCS standard is 500 amps.

CCS vs V2 vs V3 Superchargers.jpg

Because there are stations out there that provide the full 500 amps, I made up a theoretical chart based on a 500 amp supply.

Theoretical 500 amp CCS vs V3.jpg

Later,

Keith

From that graph,

It looks like SCV3 has a huge advantage over CCS(Max) from •0% to 23% SOC. From 23% SOC to about 37% SOC the SCV3 starts to drop and match the CCS. Then from 37% and up to almost the end, SCV3 and CCS looks to be about the same.

That being the case, whats the approximate time saved from the 0% to 37% SOC of using SCV3 vs. CCS? I’m guessing in the ballpark of maybe a few minutes, like 5-7 minutes maybe?

Still CCS seems very comparable.

Reactions: gunthermic
From that graph,

It looks like SCV3 has a huge advantage over CCS(Max) from •0% to 23% SOC. From 23% SOC to about 37% SOC the SCV3 starts to drop and match the CCS. Then from 37% and up to almost the end, SCV3 and CCS looks to be about the same.

That being the case, whats the approximate time saved from the 0% to 37% SOC of using SCV3 vs. CCS? I’m guessing in the ballpark of maybe a few minutes, like 5-7 minutes maybe?

Still CCS seems very comparable.

Going from 5% to 25% on V3 (250 KW) takes about 3.75 min

Going from 5% to 25% at on CCS at 170 KW takes about 5.5 min

Going from 5% to 25% on V2 at 150 KW takes about 6.24 min

So, compared to V2 supercharging, CCS saves you a whopping 44 seconds… including the slop after peak charging ends on CCS you probably save a whole minute! And V3 saves you 2.49 min compared to V2, call it 4 min when going past 25% to account for the slope before the curves match up. If you are doing a cannon ball run this slight difference matters, but in real world road trip driving it is so insignificant as to be barely noticeable. Shoot, many people road tripping get range anxiety if they go below 20% SOC... so they see near zero charging speed advantage on CCS or V3.

People put way too much emphasis on peak charging speed, in my experience the only real advantage of V3 is not sharing cabinets so I have never experienced a slow down due to a busy station like I have had on V2. To me, the advantage of CCS is also not sharing cabinets and expanded charging opportunity rather than the slightly higher than V2 speed.

Later,

Keith

As promised, I did a full charge from 6% to 100% on my local 350 KW CCS while logging with scan my Tesla ( I do stupid things so you don't have too! ) .

This station maxes out at 450 amps, the absolute max by the current CCS standard is 500 amps.

View attachment 801452

Because there are stations out there that provide the full 500 amps, I made up a theoretical chart based on a 500 amp supply.

View attachment 801453

Later,

Keith
My curve looks very similar. I charged from 19% to 70%

Tesla CCS1 Adapter Charging Curve.JPG

The true benefit comes when comparing v2 Superchargers. Since you may be sharing the full 150kW with someone else, the CCS is not shared even on the 150kW CCS chargers. Costs are also a major concern. Here in Canada, it's going to be much cheaper to charge with this CCS adapter. Today I'm going to Squamish, BC to test out the Electrify Canada (350kW) charger. Price is $0.57/ minute while the Tesla v2 in the same parking lot rates are 0-60kW ($0.26/minute), 60-100kW($0.68/minute), and 100-150kW ($1.30/minute). As you can see, it could also save quite a bit of money on long trips. I'm sure I will get over 100kW for at least 10 minutes so Tesla would be $13 while the CCS will cost $5.70. Will see how it goes.

This new CCS adapter will allow you to charge almost up t 4 times faster than the ChaDemo plus they are starting to phase out the ChaDemo. CCS is the new standard and will most likely continue to be so in the future. The smart move is to sell the ChaDemo on eBay and pick up a CCS from Harumio which will probably work out in you keeping some pocket change.

(Make sure your car is capable of using the CCS adapter, first!)

You can take a look at this portion of the thread to see the advantages:

Reactions: OliverM3
This new CCS adapter will allow you to charge almost up t 4 times faster than the ChaDemo plus they are starting to phase out the ChaDemo. CCS is the new standard and will most likely continue to be so in the future. The smart move is to sell the ChaDemo on eBay and pick up a CCS from Harumio which will probably work out in you keeping some pocket change.
Thanks!

(Make sure your car is capable of using the CCS adapter, first!)

You can take a look at this portion of the thread to see the advantages:

very informative Thank You. Looking at the “spec” section on my phone Tesla app I don’t see If I have CCS capability? 2020 MYP October (ish) delivery. If not noted would it be best to hold on to the ChaDemo as a just in case backup?