Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If not noted would it be best to hold on to the ChaDemo as a just in case backup?
That’s a good question.

The only time I can see that being the case would be when the CCS handle is broken and the CHadEMO handle works on the same cabinet, and there is not another cabinet next to it that works (and not being used). Most of the stations I’ve seen have at least two cabinets, and when one CCS1 handle doesn’t work (which has happened a few times already) I simply move the car to the other cabinet.

I’d exhaust my options of having the faster charge of CCS than using CHAdeMO.

the CHAdeMO as a backup would very rarely get used, if ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird
Going from 5% to 25% on V3 (250 KW) takes about 3.75 min

Going from 5% to 25% at on CCS at 170 KW takes about 5.5 min

Going from 5% to 25% on V2 at 150 KW takes about 6.24 min

So, compared to V2 supercharging, CCS saves you a whopping 44 seconds… including the slop after peak charging ends on CCS you probably save a whole minute!
Are you taking into account the longer CCS handshaking and time to make the payment/start the charging? (i.e. does the time start from when you open the drivers door to start charging to when you unplug?)

in this thread of way smarter then I. If I already have that Tesla ChaDemo big plug already is there a reason/benefit for me to also get this adaptor? Completely baffled by all the adaptor options sorry.
The CHAdeMO adapter is slow (50 kW max, which is about 43 kW to the battery) and CHAdeMO is dying. A lot of new charging sites have 6-12 CCS plugs and only 1 CHAdeMO so it's far more likely that you'll be stuck waiting for the lone CHAdeMO connector than any of the many CCS connectors (and once you do get to use it, you definitely have to wait longer to charge).

Reactions: Yelobird
Has anyone ordered with just a VIN loaded in their account and haven't taken possession yet? I'm hoping to get a VIN soon, and want to order soonest (vice waiting 2 more weeks until delivery).
i have VIN but the delivery is still 10 days from now. I have place order through Harumio. They havent placed order yet. Paid the invoice through Paypal.

first i have given a my wife account which would be dummy until i get car and added as her as an additional driver. They cant place order with dummy account.

Below is my history of order with them

Requested Harumio for CCS 1 adapter - 04/29/22
Heard back from Harumio about availability of CCS adapter & asking for Tesla Account details - 4/30/22
Heard back with quote & asking for Tesla Account details - 5/01/22
paid through PayPal & sent my ID and Password (PWD updated to temp) - 5/01/22 (Dummy account details)
Received acknowledgement and proceeding with order - 05/02/22
recieved email saying can’t order with no vehicles in account - 05/02/2022
sent my account details (updated to default password) - 05/4/2022
Received acknowledgement and proceeding with order with my account details - 05/05/22

i haven’t heard anything on 05/06 and they don‘t work on weekend. I will update once i have further details on my order.

Reactions: kayak1 and JonB65
The CHAdeMO adapter is slow (50 kW max, which is about 43 kW to the battery) and CHAdeMO is dying. A lot of new charging sites have 6-12 CCS plugs and only 1 CHAdeMO so it's far more likely that you'll be stuck waiting for the lone CHAdeMO connector than any of the many CCS connectors (and once you do get to use it, you definitely have to wait longer to charge).
All true. However just spent 10 days in Pueblo CO, and the EA charger and my CHAdeMO adapter saved the day.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352 and JonB65
Delete your vehicle from the account perhaps? Or remotely mess with your settings. Actually, do you have to give them the primary (owner's) account password or can you give them an account that's just authorized as a driver? If the latter, I could create a new account or give them the password to an authorized driver's account instead.
An authorized driver's account is fine, that's what I did and it worked without issue.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Add me to the list of people who were successful is receiving the Tesla CCS1 adapter through Harumio!

I placed my order on Monday April 25th when I provided my Tesla account login (after changing the password) and requested that Harumio send an invoice. I paid via PayPal ($318.50) and Harumio confirmed payment on April 26th. I also got an email from Tesla Korea on the 26th confirming an order had been placed for the adapter. DHL sent me an email confirming they shipped my order on Monday May 2nd. Estimated delivery was for May 5th.

I received the adapter today, May 4th (one day early). It's amazing it took only 2 days to reach Colorado from South Korea (via Cincinnati and Denver) and it only took nine days to receive the adapter after I ordered it! I was a bit concerned because I've ordered with DHL a couple of times before and once the order reached the US, DHL sent it to me via another carrier (post office in one case) which added several days. I guess DHL Express handles the whole delivery.

One more thing I can contribute is that I got one of the cases (the hard case) that @android04 suggested and the CCS1 adapter fits perfectly in it with no rattles when I shake the case after zipping it closed (the price was great too!). I can even add the Tesla J1772 adapter with the CCS1 adapter in the case, again with no rattles. However, it does press on the top of the case and although it's still not hard to zip the the case closed, it is a bit raised on one side due to the height of the J1772 adapter.

Hard case from Amazon

Here are some photos:

View attachment 800611View attachment 800612View attachment 800614View attachment 800615View attachment 800616
Looks great, went to order and it's out of stock. :-(. Thanks for sharing it, you picked a great case.

Are you taking into account the longer CCS handshaking and time to make the payment/start the charging? (i.e. does the time start from when you open the drivers door to start charging to when you unplug?)
I know you were responding to the other posters times, but it's not always about time. On a road trip (the only time I can imagine using mine), sometimes you want to stop to eat inside. Having access to other fast chargers gives you a wider selection of options and may let you skip a stop depending on where it is.

I used ABRP and added CSS1 to my options and the route I normally take now has an EA stop inserted. (most are superchargers still)

Looks great, went to order and it's out of stock. :-(. Thanks for sharing it, you picked a great case
Looks like there might be other listings I just searched for the name of the other case and found. only Two left but there maybe more sellers out there.
It does look like an extra divider so not 100% sure on the fitment.

I've posted this one before and my guess it will fit the CCS adapter. It has the exact same dimensions as the case that is out of stock at Amazon except the listing says they are EXTERIOR dimensions while the out of stock one listed INTERIOR dimensions. My guess is it will still fit regardless, but I can't say for sure since I don't have one.

Another Amazon Case

There were 14 left and now it's down to 11 so I'm guessing a couple of people here bought one. Let us know if it fit. At just $9.69 it's worth a try.

I've posted this one before and my guess it will fit the CCS adapter. It has the exact same dimensions as the case that is out of stock at Amazon except the listing says they are EXTERIOR dimensions while the out of stock one listed INTERIOR dimensions. My guess is it will still fit regardless, but I can't say for sure since I don't have one.

Another Amazon Case

There were 14 left and now it's down to 11 so I'm guessing a couple of people here bought one. Let us know if it fit. At just $9.69 it's worth a try.

Looks like it should do the trick (and for less money).

There are probably some marketing guys for some Asian manufacturing company scratching their heads and wondering why these obscure, slow-moving products are suddenly selling like the Asian equivalent of hot cakes.

I wouldn't be surprised if we soon see an Amazon vendor selling cases specifically for the Tesla CCS1 adapter. They could sell a fair amount of them right now, but once Tesla offers the adapter in the US they literally could sell like hot cakes. By then, there will be several vendors selling them, unless Tesla decides to include a case with the adapter (I doubt it) or sell a case separately.

Another Amazon Case

I just received this one and the adapter fits although a little snug but I am satisfied with it.

• Informative
Reactions: PineNut and tps5352