Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you taking into account the longer CCS handshaking and time to make the payment/start the charging? (i.e. does the time start from when you open the drivers door to start charging to when you unplug?)

If you are used to charging on CCS (specifically Electrify America) there are ways to speed up the process. Using the EA phone app, select your charger and activate it via the app before you plug in (before you even climb out of the car), that way the payment verification part of the starting process is complete and the actual CCS handshake doesn't take very long at all... most of the delay people experience is the payment verification. I learned about this taking cross country road trips in my Chevy Bolt.

Once again, the main advantage of having the adapter is having options and not having to share cabinets if a V2 Supercharger is busy...

Keith

If you are used to charging on CCS (specifically Electrify America) there are ways to speed up the process. Using the EA phone app, select your charger and activate it via the app before you plug in (before you even climb out of the car), that way the payment verification part of the starting process is complete and the actual CCS handshake doesn't take very long at all... most of the delay people experience is the payment verification. I learned about this taking cross country road trips in my Chevy Bolt.

Once again, the main advantage of having the adapter is having options and not having to share cabinets if a V2 Supercharger is busy...

Keith
Much agreed. I found the biggest issue with using EA chargers is the payment process. Once I did as you said, which means login to the app, selecting the station, then the charger you want to use FIRST.. then plugging into the cable it was pretty quick. I would say after plugging in the cable.. charging actually starts in 10-30 seconds. You will know when it starts.. because the fans start going crazy once the juice starts flowing.

I got the adapter for the options you also listed. V2 Superchargers are almost always shared during trips up & down Interstate 95 where I live and do most of my long-distance driving. In fact the last time I supercharged.. I had to get out of my car and tell a new Tesla owner who pulled beside me that he was going to cut both of our charging rates by 50%. Thankfully he was polite about the situation, completely unaware they were shared stalls, and moved his car down a couple of spaces to one that was not shared.

I also find that CCS chargers in the US are more locations than SC. A ton of new car dealerships have added CCS chargers over the past couple of years.. to the point where if it's a large car dealer.. it's pretty much guaranteed to have a CCS DCFC around there. Granted it's probably capable of rates between 20-50kW.. but that's still better than an L2 charger and most of them are free. Speaking of free.. EA has a lot of free charging days throughout the year. Most recently Earth day was free on April 23rd. And before that, all EA chargers were free from 12/23/2021 - 1/3/2022 to help EV owners travel over the holidays. When EA chargers are free like that, there is no payment required.. just plug in and immediately get free juice. No time limits either.

Last edited:
Going to see if my ID.4 free charging plan still works... lol.

I was wondering how long it was going to take you to pop up in this thread. My wife still has her VW ID.4.. which means she still has 2.5 years of unlimited free charging. I cannot wait to try her EA account + this CCS1 adapter + Model Y = to see what happens. Will keep you guys posted :)

What case holds both the CCS1 and J-1772 adapter again? I saw somebody with a photo of both in soft case.

My Korean CCS1 adapter is arriving in a week or so!

This one is pictured as holding both the CCS1 and J1772 adapters. However, I won't be able to confirm that until I receive mine. Also, as someone else said, the adapters could possibly scratch each other unless separated (by cloth, foam, etc.)?

I was wondering how long it was going to take you to pop up in this thread. My wife still has her VW ID.4.. which means she still has 2.5 years of unlimited free charging. I cannot wait to try her EA account + this CCS1 adapter + Model Y = to see what happens. Will keep you guys posted :)
So does that mean that volkswagon cars (unlike Tesla) might not be sending the VIN number of the car to the charging cabinet for payment processing?

If true, This would mean free electricity for all their cars if at least one family member has an id.4!

So does that mean that volkswagon cars (unlike Tesla) might not be sending the VIN number of the car to the charging cabinet for payment processing?

If true, This would mean free electricity for all their cars if at least one family member has an id.4!
I don't think CCS uses the VIN. For CCS the Autocharge mechanism, not Plug&Charge which is much more complicated, uses the MAC address of the charge controller to identify and bill the account. I know that some CCS charger manufacturers "profile" the vehicle based on battery size, requested charge rate, etc. to try to identify what kind of vehicle is plugged in.

I'll be honest. I have absolutely no idea what information is transmitted during the charging handshake. That said I've read of at least where instance where someone who bought an ID.4 and later sold it.. was then able to use their same EA account to charge another EV free for about a month. At some point VW/EA turned off the free juice.. and the app started charging the normal paid rate.

I'll be honest. I have absolutely no idea what information is transmitted during the charging handshake. That said I've read of at least where instance where someone who bought an ID.4 and later sold it.. was then able to use their same EA account to charge another EV free for about a month. At some point VW/EA turned off the free juice.. and the app started charging the normal paid rate.
I bet VW does a monthly check to see if the car is still registered to the original owner (I'm sure there's a way they can do that). And if they detect an ownership change, they cut off the free charging promotion.

Reactions: Daekwan
What case holds both the CCS1 and J-1772 adapter again? I saw somebody with a photo of both in soft case.

My Korean CCS1 adapter is arriving in a week or so!

A51E42F4-52DC-4636-9EDB-FAA9C0990884.jpeg
1B1AD216-3696-4D16-A027-7B433D3AF94C.jpeg
46A243E8-E217-432B-844C-31570C4F9FC6.jpeg

This is Maoershan from Amazon. Fit both nicely.

Reactions: voxel and Daekwan
Approx how long did it take for your process to go through with Harumio?

I ordered and paid last Thursday and got an email saying I will be updated.

Still checking my Tesla account and there’s no purchase history for the adapter. Emailed yesterday and got the same response that I will be emailed once there’s an update.

Just don’t want this to sell out hahaha

Thanks!

Approx how long did it take for your process to go through with Harumio?

I ordered and paid last Thursday and got an email saying I will be updated.

Still checking my Tesla account and there’s no purchase history for the adapter. Emailed yesterday and got the same response that I will be emailed once there’s an update.

Just don’t want this to sell out hahaha

Thanks!
FWIW, I purchased last Wednesday and got my DHL notice today.

I got an email from Tesla Korea on 5/4 saying the order was placed. it won't show up in your N. American account... I switched it to Korean and the part indeed showed up in my "past orders".

Reactions: voxel