Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried in a 350kW Electrify Canada and topped @130kW in a cold battery at 26% SOC. Not too bad considered it averaged out CAD 31cents/kW compared to Tesla 60cents/kW before Tesla lowered the price a little bit in Canada today.

Electrify Canada 1.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried in a 350kW Electrify Canada and topped @130kW in a cold battery at 26% SOC. Not too bad considered it averaged out CAD 31cents/kW compared to Tesla 60cents/kW before Tesla lowered the price a little bit in Canada today.

View attachment 803052
Nice. They didn't really lower prices much. I expected it to drop much more. Petro-Canada is the best price out there. At $0.27/minute, it's close to charging at home. In Ontario, it may even be a bit cheaper.

Reactions: DM 171950
To be honest with you the case I found is really perfect, not that it is the best looking but definitely the most practical. The fit is snug and plenty of padding.

If you twist the adapter to either side, the J7772 adapter fits like a piece of cake. The handle on top really is convenient and the zipper located where it is, being short, is really another convenience when your want to get a hold of it. You really need to try it to appreciate it.

View attachment 801979View attachment 801980
Not exactly in Ontario, just across the river from Ottawa)

View attachment 803325
Gatineau is in Quebec where electricity is at its cheapest in Canada.

can report back that it works great! I was unable to get the low SOC i wanted SO i had like 45% when I arrived. I also preconditioned the battery but was unable to use a 350kw charger since it was taken. I used a 150kw EA charger and was hitting around 122 kw

I will say tesla still does an amazing job with their charging network. Plug and done. While I was charging 3 people were complaining to each other about using the 350kw station and only getting 70kw, one charger wasn't providing any charge, and the other couldn't figure out how to pay. There was a kia ev6, porsche taycan, and an audio e tron gt, and my tesla. haha

EA is pretty easy once you create an account, you can use apple pay to start charging, so it took a little longer but not that bad. It also shows the status of the chargers on the app.

I got mine today....everything looks great. Ordered May 4th, got here May 13th (7 business days). Once it hits the US, its basically overnighted to final destination (DHL express). Went from cincinatti to boise in 1 night.

The case works fine, and can fit the j1172 adapter, though it doesn't fit the j1172 standing vertically, needs to be horizontal. Though...its tight, so you have to squeeze the case ever so slightly when trying to zip up. Does make it a nice padded package though.
20220513_153144.jpg

20220513_153154.jpg

20220513_153212.jpg

We did our first road trip with the new Model Y LR in Colorado. The Tesla CCS adapter was great to have because there were no Tesla Superchargers in Durango or Pagosa Springs (we used superchargers in Salida, Montrose, and Telluride).

Here are a couple of photos of our stop in Durango, CO. By the way, look at the dummy who parked the pickup truck in one of the two ChargePoint CCS stalls!

CCS Charge1.jpg

CCS Charge2.jpg

Well, I guess some other dummy could have said the same thing about a Tesla parked at a CCS charger!

Oh wait. Maybe that is a prototype Cybertruck? 😉

One potential issue I noticed is the cable is very short at these chargers and I had to park very close to the charger. The cable felt heavier than a Tesla cable and of course the connector is much bigger and heavier. It put a fair amount of torque on the Tesla charge port (both downwards due to the weight and rotational due to the cable wanting to twist in the socket).

Another potentially scary thing that happened was that while driving from Gunnison, CO to Montrose, CO we got stopped on Hwy 50 (a pretty significant highway) and were told the highway was closed due to construction work and we would have to wait 3 1/2 hours for it to open. There was a detour, but it was 97 miles out of the way on Hwy 92 from Sapinero to Montrose via Delta, CO. It's a good thing I was "overly" cautious on this first trip and charged to 85% in Salida instead of the much lesser charge which the Tesla navigation suggested because the detour was steep, twisty, and pretty much in the middle of nowhere (super scenic drive, though).

While I was charging 3 people were complaining to each other about using the 350kw station and only getting 70kw, one charger wasn't providing any charge, and the other couldn't figure out how to pay.
This. This, right here is why Supercharger network is still a whole lot better than even the biggest and (self claimed) best CCS network.

The sad truth is that people with CCS cars don’t have any idea how much better the Supercharger system is, they only know there’s a lot of charging stalls per site, but that’s about it.

I got my CCS1 adapter today just in time because i was bringing it down to 20% conveniently, went to an electrify america charger by Walmart and first off couldnt use the 350kw stall had a messaged that it was intentionally limited to 50kw because it was taking an update

Tried a 150kw stall first try and it never initiated a charge checked on plugshare that one was was having issues lately go figure 😂

Moved to another 150 stall and charged fine peaked at 135kw for a bit i charged from 20% to 60% by the end of that session was at about 87kw

Very satisfied with the adapter also why the hell is the electrify america cables so godamn big holy crap it feels u can charge at 800kw with that behemoth jesus christ

Also attached some pics of the case i used

F2169B71-6481-4DB3-BD79-0B9C77154D95.jpeg
34145213-EBBB-485B-83C2-1EB0F050317D.jpeg
34033264-D019-476B-B853-9F1DC9974B36.jpeg
72C1F50B-654D-4E67-B45C-7BC4BC1ECA3F.jpeg
DAC6EB3A-881A-46B8-9BD9-6A8828BC23F6.jpeg
9F2D1678-E1CA-43D1-948F-DC514C6A297D.jpeg