Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This. This, right here is why Supercharger network is still a whole lot better than even the biggest and (self claimed) best CCS network.

The sad truth is that people with CCS cars don’t have any idea how much better the Supercharger system is, they only know there’s a lot of charging stalls per site, but that’s about it.
V3 superchargers share power too: Supercharger - Aiea, HI (6 stalls)

I just verified that when using A Better Route Planner you can select both Supercharger and CCS... I planned out a route for an upcoming trip to Florida using Supercharger only, and then both Supercharger and CCS... ABRP used 3 CCS stations when it was allowed to plan for itself. That is OK but when I beat it into submission by making the logical charging stations waypoints I shaved about a half hour off of a 1000 mile drive. I should have made it do a route plan for CCS only but I forgot :) The "mixed" route I planned for myself only includes one CCS station, but that lets me avoid using a V2 Supercharger, so it is worth it :D

Keith

PS: I just realized my comparison chart I made is for a "best case" V2 experience. Even when not sharing cabinets I seldom get more than 145 KW, and I have been stuck on some old 115 KW V2's as well (no, wasn't sharing a cabinet)... my average experience is a ramp up from when I plug in to a peak / plateau from 20% to 40% that is usually in the 130 to 135 range.

I just verified that when using A Better Route Planner you can select both Supercharger and CCS... I planned out a route for an upcoming trip to Florida using Supercharger only, and then both Supercharger and CCS... ABRP used 3 CCS stations when it was allowed to plan for itself. That is OK but when I beat it into submission by making the logical charging stations waypoints I shaved about a half hour off of a 1000 mile drive. I should have made it do a route plan for CCS only but I forgot :) The "mixed" route I planned for myself only includes one CCS station, but that lets me avoid using a V2 Supercharger, so it is worth it :D

Keith

PS: I just realized my comparison chart I made is for a "best case" V2 experience. Even when not sharing cabinets I seldom get more than 145 KW, and I have been stuck on some old 115 KW V2's as well (no, wasn't sharing a cabinet)... my average experience is a ramp up from when I plug in to a peak / plateau from 20% to 40% that is usually in the 130 to 135 range.
You should check the electrify america app (or whatever app for the CCS stations you have planned) to see how busy they are. I was planning my upcoming road trip, but I saw the Walmart I was going to go to, is apparent really busy, and only has 4 stalls, where's the nearby v2 supercharger has 16 stalls or something like that, and looks to always have free stalls.

You should check the electrify america app (or whatever app for the CCS stations you have planned) to see how busy they are. I was planning my upcoming road trip, but I saw the Walmart I was going to go to, is apparent really busy, and only has 4 stalls, where's the nearby v2 supercharger has 16 stalls or something like that, and looks to always have free stalls.
There is a nearby V2 Supercharger to use as backup, the trip is not for a month or so, and in that time the EA station usage may go up or down... I will check a day or so before I leave on the trip.

Keith

Time to ditch those ChaDeMo adapters if you have one that is. Once more find out about the Korean connection and when they release the official CCS1 adapter in North America, I doubt you will get more than $100 for it if you can even sell it at all. Sold mine locally for $600 yesterday. The ad was ringing off the hook to get it. Almost felt bad selling it since the CCS is so much better in every way, made me feel like a used car salesman not revealing the real reason I was selling it.

Last edited:
Time to ditch those ChaDeMo adapters if you have one that is. Once more find out about the Korean connection and when they release the official CCS1 adapter in North America, I doubt you will get more than $100 for it if you can even sell it at all.
Not all Teslas can use the CCS1 adapter. I would even venture to say it may be more than half, can’t. That’s S’s and X’s from 2012-2019, model 3’s from 2017-2019. And! A bunch of 2020’s and 2021 3’s and Y’s that can’t use them due to a manufacturing shortage. That’s a lot of cars!

It also depends on pricing. If Tesla charges a lot to retrofit AND sell an adapter, it may just be worth it to keep using CHAdeMo. Yes, EA is moving to CCS only cabinets, but it doesn’t look like other DC charging companies (EVGo, Chargepoint, etc) are following suit.

Reactions: jsight
My CCS1 adapter came in really handy yesterday. Was visiting some friends in Santa Monica and was at 29% SOC before I returned home and needed a quick battery top off. I checked the nearby superchargers and all of them had a wait, but a nearby EA charger in Culver City showed 8/10 available chargers. Of course when I got there the two 350kW chargers were occupied, but the 150kW unit I connected to maxed out at 150kW and averaged around 120kW with my MYLR. To echo what others have said in this thread, the cables EA uses on their chargers are comically large but other than it being awkward plugging the fire hose sized cable in, the whole charging experience was seamless.

Time to ditch those ChaDeMo adapters if you have one that is. Once more find out about the Korean connection and when they release the official CCS1 adapter in North America, I doubt you will get more than $100 for it if you can even sell it at all. Sold mine locally for $600 yesterday. The ad was ringing off the hook to get it. Almost felt bad selling it since the CCS is so much better in every way, made me feel like a used car salesman not revealing the real reason I was selling it.
Once this happens, I might pick up a CHAdeMO adapter if it's cheap enough, like below $100. Can't hurt to have it in the car...just in case the only station that's unoccupied has only a CHAdeMO connector or the CCS connector on it is broken.

Reactions: Gaige and jsight
…the cables EA uses on their chargers are comically large..

As the YouTube video (that FalconFour recently shared) with the obnoxious seemingly-anti-Tesla (but knowledgeable) reporter explained, the EA CCS1 cables are LIQUID-COOLED, which explains their large girth. If they were only rubber-coated copper the’d have to be even larger and heavier (and super expensive) in order to handle the high voltage/heat, is the message I took away from the video.

Last edited:
Reactions: dino007 and Daekwan
Doesn't EVgo charge a $4 session fee on top of everything else?
That varies by state and membership tier. I think there is never a session fee in Washington. In my state, there is a fee on the lowest tier, but the "member" tier doesn't have a monthly fee and eliminates the session fee. The only downside is it requires $4.99 prepayment here, but that's not a big issue to me.

• Informative
Reactions: avs007
As the YouTube video (that FalconFour recently shared) with the obnoxious seemingly-anti-Tesla (but knowledgeable) reporter explained, the EA CCS1 cables are LIQUID-COOLED, which explains their large girth. If they were only rubber-coated copper the’d have to be even larger and heavier (and super expensive) in order to handle the high voltage/heat, is the message I took away from the video.
That is no excuse, the V3 Supercharger cables are liquid cooled as well and they aren't that big.

Does EVgo charge for kWh at all anywhere? Here in Utah they charge per minute too when everyone else charges by kWh.
They charge per kWh here.

$0.50 per kWh to be exact. Not cheap, i keep wondering if gallons of gasoline is more expensive than DC charging, especially the high cost of electricity here (home and on the road)

3EA1ABAF-3F90-4F1E-9B1F-C219BFF8672B.jpeg

Does EVgo charge for kWh at all anywhere? Here in Utah they charge per minute too when everyone else charges by kWh.
They have to if they've installed any chargers in California after January 2021. Charging per minute is illegal on any chargers installed after that date, and will become illegal on any chargers installed before that date something like 10 years after they were initially installed.

Edit: AC EVSEs must bill by kWh if installed after the beginning of 2021. DC chargers must bill by kWh if installed after the beginning of 2023. Existing equipment can continue billing by the minute until 2031 (AC EVSEs) or 2033 (DCFCs) respectively.