Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the local Wally World looking for COVID rapid tests (one of the kids popped positive...weeee) and decided to do a quick test of my CCS1 adapter at an EA station located there. I believe I was at 54% SOC. This time I plugged the adapter into the charging head first, then plugged into the car, then started a session via the EA app. After a few seconds, the charging station's fans fired up and it started pushing about 45 kW into the car (according to the car). I ended the session after a few seconds as I just wanted to test if the adapter worked, which it did.

While we usually don't road trip in the 3, it'll be good to have as insurance in the event we do stretch out the 3's legs on a road trip. At the least, I can always flip the adapter on Ebay. :p

Ok newb CCS question. Along with Electrify America app are there others I should download and enroll in for the most options?
If you mean what other provider apps you should DL to make adapter CCS charging easier, get EVGO and Chargepoint for sure. There may be some more local charging providers in your area (like for me, my local utility has its own little fast charging network).

ev go sucks even more
Cant even get it to charge with half of them

At least with EA it has apple pay haha.
I heard with EA, that if you use the credit card reader, or Tap n' Pay, if you get a bunch of session disconnects, and restart, you'll end up with a bunch of holds on your credit card... But if you use the app, and the same thing happens, it doesn't. (Altho with the app, it forces you to maintain a $10 minimum balance in your account). I forget where I saw this, I think it was in one of Kyle's videos. I think it was the Mach-E couple on the race to Vegas, but I can't remember.

Reactions: everydaychris
Ok newb CCS question. Along with Electrify America app are there others I should download and enroll in for the most options?
Quite a lot,

The ones I know around here, from most chargers to least, are:

Electrify America

EVGo

ChargePoint

Shell Recharge (formerly Greenlots)

Ev Connect

Evolve Charging

blink (These chargers are the worst. I wonder if the company is still in business)

I'm hoping one or a few of these companies buy out all the rest. Consolidation would be a good thing.

Definitely Chargepoint. Besides EA, they are the only one that offers "coast to coast" DCFC charging. They also manage an immense number of L2 charging stations. Handy to get a "good" parking spot in an otherwise crowded parking garage. 😄

EVgo seems mostly concentrated in urban and suburban areas. I've used their units with the integrated CHAdeMO adapters a few times.

The others are more of an as needed basis. There is a road trip I'm taking this summer where a non-Tesla DCFC could come in handy one night. The three closest CCS/CHAdeMO sites are two Chargepoints and a Greenlots. (I'll likely be using one of the Chargepoints with a CHAdeMO adapter.)

Definitely Chargepoint. Besides EA, they are the only one that offers "coast to coast" DCFC charging. They also manage an immense number of L2 charging stations. Handy to get a "good" parking spot in an otherwise crowded parking garage. 😄

EVgo seems mostly concentrated in urban and suburban areas. I've used their units with the integrated CHAdeMO adapters a few times.

The others are more of an as needed basis. There is a road trip I'm taking this summer where a non-Tesla DCFC could come in handy one night. The three closest CCS/CHAdeMO sites are two Chargepoints and a Greenlots. (I'll likely be using one of the Chargepoints with a CHAdeMO adapter.)
Thanks All for the feedback. Will add ChargePoint to the app selection. Just wanted to have these staged in the event I need to use one of them.

Thanks All for the feedback. Will add ChargePoint to the app selection. Just wanted to have these staged in the event I need to use one of them.

never hurts, you don't know how many times I've gone to a place and needed just a little juice to cure some anxiety and I don't have a good enough signal to download the app! Once I have it, i can add to the Apple Wallet and it will work fine from that point. So I understand wanting to have them ready to go. I usually have them all setup also, don't try setting up the account while you are at the site if you are in a hurry, PIA.

Reactions: KJD and Yelobird
OK, I used the EA charger at Walmart Boise. Got 182KW. Still miss Tesla SC since its just plug and play, though it wasn't too bad to create an EA account, start a session, wait for it to start, etc. Also, Tesla connector is just so much sexier than a CCS and easier to handle. Well actually...first 350KW charger failed to initialize, though I wonder if it was because I had JUST created the EA account, but I moved to another one and it worked first try.

20220516_102657.jpg

20220516_102520.jpg

You _might_ want EVGo, depending on where you might go.
When I signed up in 2020 they sent me/I could order a free RFID card.
Since it's PAYG, no real loss to create the account.

You can go to Plugshare and filter by connector and charging network. Then check the map to see if that network would help.

Reactions: jsight
Once this happens, I might pick up a CHAdeMO adapter if it's cheap enough, like below $100. Can't hurt to have it in the car...just in case the only station that's unoccupied has only a CHAdeMO connector or the CCS connector on it is broken.
The more options you have the better. I wouldn't purchase one now at full price, but if they actually fall to the $100 range I would pick one up.

Keith

Reactions: DanDi58 and DrGriz
That is no excuse, the V3 Supercharger cables are liquid cooled as well and they aren't that big.

And they max out in the 400 Volt range instead of 1000 volts. Higher voltage requires more insulation. Given that, I think the cables are probably over engineered... but a V3 supercharger pushing 700+ amps through a skinny little cable is sort of out there in the opposite direction.

Keith

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue
The more options you have the better. I wouldn't purchase one now at full price, but if they actually fall to the $100 range I would pick one up.

Keith
Yep, this is why I got the entire set of NEMA adapters and keep my UMC in the car. And I already got the really important adapter (the CCS one) so now it's just a question of whether the CHAdeMO ones will sell for cheap enough on the second hand market. I can't imagine it ever being too useful given that CHAdeMO is basically on borrowed time though.