Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for pointing this out.

I believe someone else also pointed out that even with CCS 500A vs a V3 Supercharger, the charging curve of the battery drops so quickly.. it would literally save you a maximum of about 36 seconds on the 3/Y. It means the max rate on CCS vs max rate on V3 Supercharger.. expect the car to charge no more than about 1 minute faster using the V3 Supercharger.

The primary thing to keep in mind is that:
  • V2 Superchargers will share (split) charging rates and drop to 75kW max
  • CCS chargers are often cheaper
  • CCS chargers may be closer
  • CCS chargers may not have a line of vehicles waiting to charge
You forgot the 5th thing to remember about CCS.
  • A minimum of 1/3 CCS chargers will be broken at every location you go to

Thanks for pointing this out.

I believe someone else also pointed out that even with CCS 500A vs a V3 Supercharger, the charging curve of the battery drops so quickly.. it would literally save you a maximum of about 36 seconds on the 3/Y. It means the max rate on CCS vs max rate on V3 Supercharger.. expect the car to charge no more than about 1 minute faster using the V3 Supercharger.

The primary thing to keep in mind is that:
  • V2 Superchargers will share (split) charging rates and drop to 75kW max
  • CCS chargers are often cheaper
  • CCS chargers may be closer
  • CCS chargers may not have a line of vehicles waiting to charge
That got me thinking about supercharger rates...and while I haven't paid attention to it before, I was surprised how much Tesla SC rates differ, even in the same state. I mean, here in Idaho, you don't really have much choice on what superchargers you use on a particular route but it looks like it really does make a difference. Electrify america pricing is consistent at $0.43/$.31* kWh, but look at my last trips between Boise and SLC ->

Screenshot_2.png

Burley and SLC were at $.20/kWh (this morning I checked and burley is $.25 now a week later? surprised it fluctuates that much), and goes up to .40/kWh in tremonton.

Or....why is Burley $.20/kWh and twin falls is $0.32/kWh? These are only 39 miles apart from each other....and burley is a V3 charger (you would think an older/less capable charger would be less (v2 in twin falls)).

That got me thinking about supercharger rates...and while I haven't paid attention to it before, I was surprised how much Tesla SC rates differ, even in the same state. I mean, here in Idaho, you don't really have much choice on what superchargers you use on a particular route but it looks like it really does make a difference. Electrify america pricing is consistent at $0.43/$.31* kWh, but look at my last trips between Boise and SLC ->

View attachment 805776

Burley and SLC were at $.20/kWh (this morning I checked and burley is $.25 now a week later? surprised it fluctuates that much), and goes up to .40/kWh in tremonton.

Or....why is Burley $.20/kWh and twin falls is $0.32/kWh? These are only 39 miles apart from each other....and burley is a V3 charger (you would think an older/less capable charger would be less (v2 in twin falls)).

What people have been noticing lately is that Supercharger rates are creeping up.. its now 58cents per kWh in CA if its peak times (11am to 9pm):

Even here in the DC area. Someone recently mentioned that rates have just been raised to .44 kWh in MD and Northern VA from .36 kWh.

I don't SC often.. I do about 99% of charging at home. So I haven't really kept up with the charges.. that said I realize that for alot of people SC is the main way they charge the car.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
I also ordered on 5/10 night (PDT) and other than the confirmation email, didn't have any email regarding shipping/tracking...
You forgot the 5th thing to remember about CCS.
  • A minimum of 1/3 CCS chargers will be broken at every location you go to
Ahh FUD (fear, uncertainty & doubt) are alive & well in all corners I see. just means the odds of css availability increased a tad 😉.

Reactions: Daekwan
What people have been noticing lately is that Supercharger rates are creeping up.. its now 58cents per kWh in CA if its peak times (11am to 9pm):
So what are the EA rates in LA like during this time period?

Not all of CA is on peak/non peak. They tend to be in the 41-46 cent range. So if you can use the offpeak ones at 29, that's a decent savings.

Even here in the DC area. Someone recently mentioned that rates have just been raised to .44 kWh in MD and Northern VA from .36 kWh.

I don't SC often.. I do about 99% of charging at home. So I haven't really kept up with the charges.. that said I realize that for alot of people SC is the main way they charge the car.
While EV owners are laughing at the ICE cars with raising gas price, it won't be too long that the electricity cost will skyrocket (not as much as the gas) and we both (ICE and EV) will be losers.

Reactions: Daekwan
Then stop worrying about SC rates.
I am not worrying about or don't care. I am just stating the fact that the electricity cost will only increase and the fuel saving will decrease faster than you hope.
Also, in Virginia, Democrat majority passed the law to charge $109 highway use fee every year on top of annual registration fee for any EV registration/renewal.

Last edited:
I am saddened when I meet people who use superchargers as their main way of charging the vehicle. I’ve met a few. Usually newer owners. I tell them to try to get a setup at their residence because eventually using a supercharger constantly will be stressful way to drive & own the car. Most people said they couldn’t setup charging at their residence since they live in apartment buildings constructed before local mandates force the inclusion of 240V circuits for car charging in the building design but if I recall doesn’t force the building to offer car charging or install EVSE.
I also cringe worrying about if a car has been supercharged so often if I buy a used car.
So what are the EA rates in LA like during this time period?

Not all of CA is on peak/non peak. They tend to be in the 41-46 cent range. So if you can use the offpeak ones at 29, that's a decent savings.
$0.43 😎 at EA station during peak rates in Glendale area of Los Angeles county. Nearby tesla supercharger was $0.58. Pretty sure EA prices fall when charging off peak. Yes, that is apple CarPlay screen behind my tesla steering wheel.

Attachments

• 255CA899-B65B-435A-B56F-44E67ED899FC.jpeg
    255CA899-B65B-435A-B56F-44E67ED899FC.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 56
I am saddened when I meet people who use superchargers as their main way of charging the vehicle. I’ve met a few. Usually newer owners. I tell them to try to get a setup at their residence because eventually using a supercharger constantly will be stressful way to drive & own the car. Most people said they couldn’t setup charging at their residence since they live in apartment buildings ...
EV ownership is not practical for everyone at this time. Charging away from home, as the "normal" way to charge your EV, is simply not the way to go.

Rich

ROI is little to none for solar. I charge at home with Tesla wall connector paying $0.12/kwh. I only do long distance trip 1-2 times a year using one supercharger only once per trip.
But you said that those rates will go up. If you think they will go up from $.12/kwh, there'd be a return. I don't have solar for similar reasons to you, but its largely because I only anticipate <3% annual increases.

While EV owners are laughing at the ICE cars with raising gas price, it won't be too long that the electricity cost will skyrocket (not as much as the gas) and we both (ICE and EV) will be losers.
I hate EVholes (aka EV a**holes) like that. The same ones sitting at gas stations.. taking pictures of high prices and celebrating. Simply don't take the few seconds to realize that literally everything ships by diesel truck, ship, plane or train. High gas prices are nothing to celebrate as it simply means we all pay more for practically everything we purchase. If our precious EV's get delivered by a diesel truck.

I also agree its no secret costs of electricity will continue to rise. Especially given the popularity of EV's. Pay close attention to the big boys in the oil industry and they switch over markets like wind, solar and even EV charging. This is something I noticed first hand when I got this email telling me that Shell was launching their own EV charging service: Shell Recharge | Greenlots announces acquisition by Shell, one of the world's leading energy providers

It is now known as Shell Recharge. And yeah I've filled up my battery at one of their chargers.

I am saddened when I meet people who use superchargers as their main way of charging the vehicle. I’ve met a few. Usually newer owners. I tell them to try to get a setup at their residence because eventually using a supercharger constantly will be stressful way to drive & own the car. Most people said they couldn’t setup charging at their residence since they live in apartment buildings constructed before local mandates force the inclusion of 240V circuits for car charging in the building design but if I recall doesn’t force the building to offer car charging or install EVSE.
I also cringe worrying about if a car has been supercharged so often if I buy a used car.

$0.43 😎 at EA station during peak rates in Glendale area of Los Angeles county. Nearby tesla supercharger was $0.58. Pretty sure EA prices fall when charging off peak. Yes, that is apple CarPlay screen behind my tesla steering wheel.
1) Completely agree on those who Supercharge only/mainly. That said, they signed up for it. Personally speaking, there is no way I would own an EV without a home charging solution.

2) Talk to me more about this Apple CarPlay screen behind your Tesla steering wheel. I'm VERY interested. How well does it work? How hard was it to install? How likely are you to recommend it to others?

But you said that those rates will go up. If you think they will go up from $.12/kwh, there'd be a return. I don't have solar for similar reasons to you, but its largely because I only anticipate <3% annual increases.
You don't even have to think. Energy prices have pretty much only ever gone up.. and they never come back down. Your local energy provider goes to the county/state every year to plead why they need to raise rates. And generally speaking, those rates creep up every year. Feel free to fact-check me on this.

That said the other posted Nate is correct. Solar is still a tremendously expensive investment unless you are guaranteed to stay in your home for the next 10+ years.. chances are will you will never see a full return on investment. Yes, there are people who lease their panels. Yes, there are people who get their energy cheaper from dedicated solar farms. But the reality is most people who have panels on their house are deep into a long-term contract to repay that installation. Its a bet that I should have taken 9 years ago when this house was built and we moved in. And now that we are 100% EV home it makes more sense than ever, but I cant just feel like as soon as I sign my name on the contract.. that we will end up moving to another county or state due to our jobs or kids schools :(

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
You don't even have to think. Energy prices have pretty much only ever gone up.. and they never come back down. Your local energy provider goes to the county/state every year to plead why they need to raise rates. And generally speaking, those rates creep up every year. Feel free to fact-check me on this.
Of course, but in my area the historical increase is more like 1-2%, and basically always well under the rate of inflation. Estimating solar with that increase gives me a payback of 10+ years, which isn't really worth it.

But the context here is that EV demand will increase the rate of increase. If someone assumes 5+%, then the return drops to <7 years and likely worth it in a _lot_ of cases, even with the relatively anti-solar practices of the local utility.

I'm not betting on that happening.

View attachment 805776

I think the EV charge stations (including Tesla) are just gouging the customers.
-
You must have charged during OFF hours at SLC - prices were $.42 during peak hours. Ya, I don't understand Burley's price, but I wouldn't complain -- that's the cheapest price I have ever ran across since I had my 'Y.'
-
I can no longer brag to family and friends how inexpensive it is to drive the Tesla. Of course I do charge to 100% before I take off on a longer trip! My rates at home --- $.12 vs ~$.36 in my area -- no brainier.