Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) Completely agree on those who Supercharge only/mainly. That said, they signed up for it. Personally speaking, there is no way I would own an EV without a home charging solution.

2) Talk to me more about this Apple CarPlay screen behind your Tesla steering wheel. I'm VERY interested. How well does it work? How hard was it to install? How likely are you to recommend it to others?
I’ll make a write up about the apple CarPlay system as many have asked. I might have to host the review on my own blog if the rules of this forum don’t allow me to mention product names etc..I’ll have to find the rules. I bookmarked this message as “reply to this” so I don’t forget to notify you.

You don't even have to think. Energy prices have pretty much only ever gone up.. and they never come back down. Your local energy provider goes to the county/state every year to plead why they need to raise rates. And generally speaking, those rates creep up every year. Feel free to fact-check me on this.

That said the other posted Nate is correct. Solar is still a tremendously expensive investment unless you are guaranteed to stay in your home for the next 10+ years.. chances are will you will never see a full return on investment. Yes, there are people who lease their panels. Yes, there are people who get their energy cheaper from dedicated solar farms. But the reality is most people who have panels on their house are deep into a long-term contract to repay that installation. Its a bet that I should have taken 9 years ago when this house was built and we moved in. And now that we are 100% EV home it makes more sense than ever, but I cant just feel like as soon as I sign my name on the contract.. that we will end up moving to another county or state due to our jobs or kids schools :(
And yet, power prices should not be spiking the way it is. Solar farms can generate for 1 cent / KWh. So why is PG&E charging 26 for offpeak, and SoCal Edison into the 50s during peak? A lot of it is paying for the sins of the past as we transition away from fossil fuel plants, but it still boggles the mind a bit. Less than a decade ago I was paying 12 cents for the first tranche of power.

Solar is a slam dunk ROI in California at the moment, with break even in the 4-8 year range, depending on the complexity of the install and who is used. For me, the cost of production over the official 25 year life is 11 cents. PG&E asked for another 18% hike in rates this spring. The average has been 6/year. This makes the ROI for the solar investment pencil out to 12%, better than the S&P500. It could falter due to unexpected failures, and it could do even better as it is likely to run well past the 25 year mark. Perhaps by then we will actually see the benefit of cheap solar and wind generation at a utility scale, and rooftop will no longer be the way to go.

If you're not primarily charging at home off solar in this state, you're not saving all that money money over gas. A small portion have very nice offpeak rates, some even in the single digits, but those were rare.

Reactions: Daekwan and jsight
To anyone that ordered via the direct link, without providing account credentials, have you gotten an update? Ordered, with the case, on may 10th and haven't gotten anything other than the original order confirmation email.
Got DHL shipping notification tonight! Doesn’t say when to expect it, but it's a positive update!

Thanks for pointing this out.

I believe someone else also pointed out that even with CCS 500A vs a V3 Supercharger, the charging curve of the battery drops so quickly.. it would literally save you a maximum of about 36 seconds on the 3/Y. It means the max rate on CCS vs max rate on V3 Supercharger.. expect the car to charge no more than about 1 minute faster using the V3 Supercharger.

The primary thing to keep in mind is that:
  • V2 Superchargers will share (split) charging rates and drop to 75kW max
  • CCS chargers are often cheaper
  • CCS chargers may be closer
  • CCS chargers may not have a line of vehicles waiting to charge
That was me earlier in this thread :)

Keith

• Funny
Reactions: Daekwan
Got DHL shipping notification tonight! Doesn’t say when to expect it, but it's a positive update!
I got my notification also. If you click on the tracking number it takes you to DHL’s website with some details and if you give DHL your email or sms phone number they will give even more details including an estimated arrival date.

What is the “case” people keep referring too?
The chademo case?
Harumio offered a custom case for a while:

1652978154808.png

It seems that they removed it from the options at some point.

• Informative
Reactions: Tha_Ape