Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you get the CCS adapter, you should get a case, in the photo above, there is a long pin coming out of the fat end of the adapter, you dont want to get this bent.

I ordered this one: amazon case

Attachments

• ccs and case.JPEG
    ccs and case.JPEG
    716.2 KB · Views: 155
Here is another Maoershan hard case which should fit the Tesla CCS adapter. Of course, there are only 6 left ($12.99 ea)...

Another Maoershan Case at Amazon

The width and height match the other Maoershan cases but the length is 5.9 in vs. 5.0 in for the other cases. My guess is that is a misprint (how many slightly different cases would Maoershan have?). But if it really is 5.9 inches then it will still fit the CCS adapter fine and you could add a little bit of padding on one side if necessary (my Maoershan case holds the adapter well just from the 3.3 inch height of the case pushing down on the adapter).

If you get one, please let us know how it works out! And don't forget, Amazon has a generous 30 day return policy if you don't like it.

Reactions: jsight
Don’t think

Just buy!
I did end up placing an order through Harumio. It's now $309 inclusive so minus the actual adapter price of $240ish the service and shipping combined is just over $60. I do have a friend in SK but not really saving much there to order myself plus friend still need to do leg work so decided to just give the reputable service provide some business :)

Reactions: jawnly211
I should have known! You have provided TONS of great information in this thread :)

Thank you very much for your informative posts

Here is some more :D

I did a true zero to 100% charge on a 150 KW Electrify America CCS to see the charging curve and the 150 KW CCS I was on provided a max of 360 amps vs the 450 amps the local 350 KW CCS provided, this resulted in a peak charging rate of 134 KW. Many of the V2 superchargers I have used peak at 130 to 140 KW when not sharing, so even if a 350 KW CCS is not available the 150 CCS isn't a waste of time... especially if a V2 SuperCharger is busy and you would have to share a cabinet.

150 KW CCS.jpg

I also did a time analysis on a 20% to 80% charge between V3, 350 KW CCS and 150 KW CCS (since I don't have empty to full on V3) and it looks like if you are doing a medium long charge there is virtually no difference in charging time between the three. The 150 KW CCS was slower between 20% and 65%, but then after 65% it passed the others and actually finished sooner! I suspect that in hot weather (high 80's or low 90's and above) charging so fast low down heats up the battery and at higher SOC's the charge rate on the faster chargers gets throttled down more than the 150 KW CCS does... but the battery tab on "Scan my Tesla" doesn't have cooling information, so battery temps and coolant flow didn't get logged. I need to make a custom tab for charging data. Also, since the "meat" of the V3 and 350 KW CCS curves are below 20% you would charge faster from 5% to 80% on them than you would on the 150 KW CCS.

Later,

Keith

Last edited:
Anyone else been spotted by other Tesla owners while testing the CCS adapter? During my first CCS test I was asked about it by one older guy, and informed him how to go about getting one after verifying that his car had CCS support enabled, then on my second test another guy came by and tested his CCS adapter... I asked him where he got his and he said eBay I hope I didn't come off as a dick when I told him how much less expensive it would have been direct from South Korea... and during that same second CCS test another guy with a CHAdeMO adapter came by to use the single CHAdeMO plug at the EA site, and asked me about the CCS adapter, I also verified his car had CCS support enabled and told him how to go about getting one if he wanted.

Keith

Received mine yesterday a did a test charge on Electrify Canada station.

PXL_20220519_235822595.jpg

150kW cabinet worked fine (though very slow, 80% SOC and cold battery so 30kW)

350 kW cabinet repeatedly failed with "DISPENSER_SAFETY_ERROR". Hopefully it's this specific cabinet's issue.

PXL_20220519_235833467.jpg

Here is some more :D

I did a true zero to 100% charge on a 150 KW Electrify America CCS to see the charging curve and the 150 KW CCS I was on provided a max of 360 amps vs the 450 amps the local 350 KW CCS provided, this resulted in a peak charging rate of 134 KW. Many of the V2 superchargers I have used peak at 130 to 140 KW when not sharing, so even if a 350 KW CCS is not available the 150 CCS isn't a waste of time... especially if a V2 SuperCharger is busy and you would have to share a cabinet.

View attachment 806501

I also did a time analysis on a 20% to 80% charge between V3, 350 KW CCS and 150 KW CCS (since I don't have empty to full on V3) and it looks like if you are doing a medium long charge there is virtually no difference in charging time between the three. The 150 KW CCS was slower between 20% and 65%, but then after 65% it passed the others and actually finished sooner! I suspect that in hot weather (high 80's or low 90's and above) charging so fast low down heats up the battery and at higher SOC's the charge rate on the faster chargers gets throttled down more than the 150 KW CCS does... but the battery tab on "Scan my Tesla" doesn't have cooling information, so battery temps and coolant flow didn't get logged. I need to make a custom tab for charging data. Also, since the "meat" of the V3 and 350 KW CCS curves are below 20% you would charge faster from 5% to 80% on them than you would on the 150 KW CCS.

Later,

Keith

Could you clear up where my math is wrong? I'm trying to determine how you are getting your amps numbers.

For example, at the 150kW CCS, you said you were provided a max of 360amps, which gave you a peak charge of 134kW. What voltage are you using to get that 360 amp number? Whether I use 480 Volts or 440 volts for the charger, the numbers don't add up? (134,000/480 = 279 amps, or 134,000/440 = 304amps, or.... 150,000/480 = 312amps, 150,000/440 = 341amps.).....I can't ever get the 360amp number?