Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Watching one of Kyle Connor's videos the other day (he was driving a Rivian on a long road trip). He basically stated that the amount of charge you'll get from an EA station will be dependent on the guts of the machine (yeah, he said lots more. Too many numbers for my limited understanding of electricity to take in!). So, even at a 350kW EA station if plugged in with your CCS adapter you might max out at either around 130kW or around 180kW.

Rich

Yup, it all depends on the current that particular CCS charger (EA, or other brands) can provide. If a CCS charger is rated for 350 KW at 1000 volts that means it has a max current rating of 350 amps (about 130 KW on a Model Y) but if it is rated at 350 KW at lower voltage where it can provide the max current within the CCS standard (500 amps) you will max out at 188 KW on a Model Y. I really wish chargers had their current rating prominently displayed, but that would only be fun for tech geeks like me :) Your average EV owner doesn't know what the difference between 150 KW and 350 KW is, and assumes that their BMW i3 or Chevy Bolt will charge faster on the 350 than the 150 because 350 is bigger than 150...

I was watching youtube video from a channel I subscribe to where the guy just got a Hyundai Ionic 5, and on a road trip he encountered this situation twice, once with the BMW i3 (50 KW max) and once with a Chevy Bolt (55 KW max) using the 350 KW charger leaving several 150 KW chargers un-occupied.

Keith

I also looks like Harumio redesigned the case to add a spot for the standard Tesla J1772 Level 2 adapter alongside the Tesla CCS adapter. Nice feature, but it looks like it makes the case maybe 3 inches wider than the previous version. Harumio currently sells the case for $45 (worldwide shipping included) or $25 if purchased with the CCS adapter.

Harumio Case

View attachment 807507

Looks nice, and if it had been available before I purchased a case from Amazon I would have gotten one... but it looks like the $25 price bundle is no longer in effect... when I checked by putting the case and the CCS adapter in my cart the price remained at $45.

Keith

Looks nice, and if it had been available before I purchased a case from Amazon I would have gotten one... but it looks like the $25 price bundle is no longer in effect... when I checked by putting the case and the CCS adapter in my cart the price remained at $45.

Keith
I ordered the case and had them consolidate my order with the CCS adapter, which hadn't shipped yet. They don't appear to have given me any discount on the case for allowing them to ship it with the adapter.

Keith
If you order both from the link below, the price is $334 vs. $309 for the CCS adapter alone. Of course, the prices have been changing lately (and the link will probably change once they run out of the current batch of cases).

Harumio CCS adapter and Case

Reactions: Fourdoor
May 8 (Sunday night): Placed order and paid (legacy method using Tesla Acct)
May 9 (2AM): Tesla email confirming order
May 12: DHL Shipment Confirmation
May 16: Delivered (DHL)

Tested it last night. Unfortunately the EA 350kW handles seemed to be borked, so had to move to a 150kW. Staring SOC was 50%, charge started at 120kW and then quickly dropped to 90s then high 80s. I only left it connected til I got to 60% but seems to work fine. Nice to have options on road trips.

It also looks like Harumio redesigned the case to add a spot for the standard Tesla J1772 Level 2 adapter alongside the Tesla CCS adapter. Nice feature, but it looks like it makes the case maybe 3 inches wider than the previous version. Harumio currently sells the case for $45 (worldwide shipping included) or $25 if purchased with the CCS adapter.

Harumio Case

View attachment 807507
Nice!!! Just bought it with the ccs adapter !!
I think there's like 6 or 7 left

I just received my delivery from Harumio. I was surprised that DHL delivered on a Sunday. I was out at a movie, and my sister grabbed the package off the porch for me. She was all excited to see what I ordered from Korea. It was a bit anti-climatic when it was a power adapter for the car.

I ordered the case with it, and the case is really nice. I like that it is molded to adapter. The adapter also is quite hefty. I didn’t expect it to be that heavy.

I need to go drop my cat’s off at their aunt’s house later this week, so I’ll hit up a CCS1 charger on the way back to try it out.

The CHAdeMO adapter is slow (50 kW max, which is about 43 kW to the battery) and CHAdeMO is dying. A lot of new charging sites have 6-12 CCS plugs and only 1 CHAdeMO so it's far more likely that you'll be stuck waiting for the lone CHAdeMO connector than any of the many CCS connectors (and once you do get to use it, you definitely have to wait longer to charge).
ALL EA sites are like this w/typically 5 to 7 CCS vs. 1 CHAdeMo. The worst I've seen is 27 CCS vs 1 CHAdeMO at a given EA site.

No other non-Tesla major DC FC provider in the US has such a screwy ratio of DC FC plug standards across their network. And, new EA sites outside California are supposed to have 0 CHAdeMO.

It's dying partially because of VW-owned Electrify America's sabotage of CHAdeMO (so that they could help their own business interests: VW, Audi and Porsche). If they instead installed 5 to 7 150+ kW CHAdeMO at each site an 1 50 kW CCS1, I wouldn't be surprised if the US DC FC landscape might've looked different.

Last edited:
ALL EA sites are like this w/typically 5 to 7 CCS vs. 1 CHAdeMo. The worst I've seen is 27 CCS vs 1 CHAdeMO at a given EA site.

No other non-Tesla major DC FC provider in the US has such a screwy ratio of DC FC plug standards across their network. And, new EA sites outside California are supposed to have 0 CHAdeMO.

It's dying partially because of VW-owned Electrify America's sabotage of CHAdeMO (so that they could help their own business interests: VW, Audi and Porsche). If they instead installed 5 to 7 150+ kW CHAdeMO at each site an 1 50 kW CCS1, I wouldn't be surprised if the US DC FC landscape might've looked different.
If Tesla had committed to updating its CHAdeMO adapter as the CHAdeMO standard evolved to carry up to the full current that CHAdeMO is capable of pushing into vehicles so that it was actually a desirable product, things could have looked different. CHAdeMO could have even won the war with CCS.

Reactions: cwerdna
CHAdeMO could have even won the war with CCS.
Even if CHAD could deliver the same amount of energy as CCS1/2, I don’t think its desirable, I’ll even go as far to say it’s the worst of the bunch. Win the war? i certainly hope not.

Two things: the huge weight and bulk of the charging handle (plus its massive cable!), and the fact that it uses an entirely different connector in addition to the AC charge port. Every car with CHAD has a larger cover to accommodate TWO charging inlets. At least the CCS1/2 can ride piggyback onto the J1772/Mennekes connections.

Yeah, CHAD really needs to go away.

Even if CHAD could deliver the same amount of energy as CCS1/2, I don’t think its desirable, I’ll even go as far to say it’s the worst of the bunch. Win the war? i certainly hope not.

Two things: the huge weight and bulk of the charging handle (plus its massive cable!), and the fact that it uses an entirely different connector in addition to the AC charge port. Every car with CHAD has a larger cover to accommodate TWO charging inlets. At least the CCS1/2 can ride piggyback onto the J1772/Mennekes connections.

Yeah, CHAD really needs to go away.
I dunno. I might call the CHAdeMO adapter better than the CCS one (in form factor, not maximum power) because it doesn't force the connector to be in a specific position and allows a little bit of bending/movement of the end of the connector cable. Plus, it has way more safety features than CCS, especially CCS1, and it is the same worldwide.

Ordered from Harumio on 5/
I ordered 5/12/22 . I emailed harumio and they replied they have ordered the css adapter from Tesla and are waiting to receive it. I'll get a shipping notice once harumio sends the item to me. With the new way of ordering (not providing your credentials) we just need to be a lil more patient. Previoulsy people could see the progress by logging in to their Tesla account..etcc..
Update: ordered 5/12/2022 got notification via email and text on 5/22 that DHL is shipping CCS adapter now.

I dunno. I might call the CHAdeMO adapter better than the CCS one (in form factor, not maximum power) because it doesn't force the connector to be in a specific position and allows a little bit of bending/movement of the end of the connector cable. Plus, it has way more safety features than CCS, especially CCS1, and it is the same worldwide.
I tend to agree, the Tesla chademo adapter was awkward, but I generally found the cable itself no more awkward than a ccs1 cable. The connector itself seemed to be more robust too, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a physically broken one.