Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dunno. I might call the CHAdeMO adapter better than the CCS one (in form factor, not maximum power) because it doesn't force the connector to be in a specific position and allows a little bit of bending/movement of the end of the connector cable. Plus, it has way more safety features than CCS, especially CCS1, and it is the same worldwide.
And CHAdeMO has supported V2X for ages (some of those products are at V2G | CHAdeMO). I've pointed this out at Will Bolt be first to V2G/V2H? - My Nissan Leaf Forum. You can find a copy of that PDF at Wayback Machine. How far along is CCS with V2X? Per Post your questions about the '18 LEAF 2 reveal here - Page 6 - My Nissan Leaf Forum, by 2017 it was 7000+ customers in Japan with a V2H setup at home.

As I've pointed out numerous times, CHAdeMO has had a few more years to evolve and get over its initially crappy handles and doesn't have this issue: EA makes a video on how to prop-up the cable.

1) Completely agree on those who Supercharge only/mainly. That said, they signed up for it. Personally speaking, there is no way I would own an EV without a home charging solution.

2) Talk to me more about this Apple CarPlay screen behind your Tesla steering wheel. I'm VERY interested. How well does it work? How hard was it to install? How likely are you to recommend it to others?
@Daekwan Apple CarPlay / behind wheel display thoughts CarPlay & Android Auto Hack - Walkthrough

It looks like all the EA charger rates are the same in the east coast region. $0.43/kwh for non member, $0.31/kwh for members ($4 monthly fee). Most superchargers were $.40/kwh or less.
It doesn't make sense to spend $300 plus for the adapter to go through the hassle for that rate.

It looks like all the EA charger rates are the same in the east coast region. $0.43/kwh for non member, $0.31/kwh for members ($4 monthly fee). Most superchargers were $.40/kwh or less.
It doesn't make sense to spend $300 plus for the adapter to go through the hassle for that rate.
I think it's less about the rates and more about choices of where to charge.

It looks like all the EA charger rates are the same in the east coast region. $0.43/kwh for non member, $0.31/kwh for members ($4 monthly fee).

No, it doesn't, if you look at it that way.

Some people have charging credits with EVGo (somewhere along the lines of $1,000) so they need that adapter to take advantage of such a deal, and also, some brands offer lower priced rates ($0.20/kwh). Then there's some people who have cars in the family that get free CCS charging for three years, so......

No, it doesn't, if you look at it that way.

Some people have charging credits with EVGo (somewhere along the lines of $1,000) so they need that adapter to take advantage of such a deal, and also, some brands offer lower priced rates ($0.20/kwh). Then there's some people who have cars in the family that get free CCS charging for three years, so......
Also, other charging companies often have promotions and free charging on occasion.

Still, I think the main reason you get a CCS charger is flexibility, not to save money.

I ordered one mainly as a backup option. When I took my car for a holiday trip last year the 1 super charger near my destination had a 45 minute wait before I could get it. There's an EA station close by so with the adapter I can stop there instead if there's a long wait. One of the guys on Youtube just did a video in Las Vegas where there was only 1 open supercharger in the whole city. For me it's more about flexibility to charge elsewhere if needed and not be hampered by being tied only to the supercharger network.

As others have pointed out.. it's not just about price. Its also gives me a ton more charging options. There are almost as many CCS charging stations in North America.. as there are Superchargers. So this adapter is basically doubling the number of places you are able to DC fast charge a Tesla.

More charging options.. mean these CCS chargers could be more convenient and/or redundant to Superchargers.
If I had to list the reasons why I paid $300 for the CCS adapter it would be:

• Ability to DC fast charge outside of Supercharger network
  • Cheaper charging rates on occasion
  • Free charging sessions using my wife's EA account with ID.4 charging rates ($0.00 per kWh)
  • Access to CCS chargers that are closer than Superchargers
  • Using CCS chargers when there is a waiting line for Superchargers on busy weekends & commuting hours.
  • Using CCS chargers when V2 Superchargers are being shared
  • Using CCS chargers at more convenient locations than Superchargers
  • Using free CCS chargers on some holiday weekends (EA chargers were free from Dec 23 to Jan 3rd). Some CCS chargers are always free and located in unique locations (most large car dealerships now have free 20-50kW CCS chargers onsite)
  • It's freaking cool!! :)

So for example "Using CCS chargers at more convenient locations than Superchargers". Most EA chargers around me are located in shopping centers, pretty much by a Walmart. Whereas Superchargers are located by gas stations, usually WaWa. If I want to completely fill my battery (10 to 80%.. or even 5-100%).. I would MUCH rather stop by a Walmart to charge up for 30mins to an hour.. than sit in a gas station parking lot. I did this exactly two weekends ago driving my wife's ID.4 up to NJ/NYC area. Needed to fill the battery completely for the drive back to DC.. and I was so happy that I could do that while shopping in Walmart for things I needed to buy anyways.. versus sitting at a rest stop on the NJ turnpike.

I'm also not pointing the finger at anyone in particular. But as expensive as Tesla's currently are.. spending $300 to literally double the amount DC fast chargers that can quickly fill the battery.. is basically a drop in the bucket compared to the actual price paid for the vehicle.

Don't even get me started on how much money people spend on other frivolous things like PPF, different color wraps, ceramic coatings, tint, spoilers, fake carbon fiber bits, vinyl stickers, colored LED lights, dash & pedal covers, seat coverings, delete kits, wheels, tires, etc. And of course FSD.. which in my opinion is the biggest gimmick of them all.

It's the same reason why I went with the Tesla wall charger + 60A breaker. Instead of going the cheap route, which is installing a NEMA 14-50R outlet + 50A breaker + using the previously free mobile connector + 50A adapter. I always desire the ability to charge my car (specifically as fast as possible) whenever I want or need it. Fast & convenient charging.. is by far the most important "accessory" I can ever purchase for my EV.

It's the only purchase that is absolutely guaranteed to save me time/money/effort/frustration at some point during the ownership of the vehicle. I've only had my Tesla for about 14 months now, but I have driven it over 18K miles. And I can distinctly remember quite a few occasions where I would have absolutely loved the option to DC fast charge somewhere else.. because going to the closest Supercharger was either inconvenient or stressful.

Last edited:
... It doesn't make sense to spend $300 plus for the adapter to go through the hassle for that rate.

Nate, it's not the money, I purchased the adapter for added flexibility. Wife and I bounce between Cape Cod and just south of Tucson. In the southwest there are a few places that only have EA and no SC (Showlow is one). It's really nice to be able to increase our options when on the road in regard charging our Tesla.

I am certain that one day in the future this whole issue (where to charge) will be old hat. But at the moment, for $300 bucks we now have a nice back-up to the SC system.

Rich

I’ve been closely tracking mine (ordered on Wednesday the 11th last week) which may have been sent out on the same plane as yours.

The flight from Seoul arrived in Los Angeles just before midnight Wednesday night and was cleared out of customs inspection just before 6am this morning. You appear to be in SoCal according to your TMC profile so it makes sense that it’s out for delivery now. I’m in SF so it’s probably on a truck today and I will get it Monday (was estimated originally as Tuesday).
Follow up…. My package was flown from LA to SF on Saturday and was then delivered today which is a day earlier than originally promised.

Ordered it from Harumio in Korea and 7-10 days later it showed up. Can't wait to try it out! :)
CCS.jpg

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
And CHAdeMO has supported V2X for ages (some of those products are at V2G | CHAdeMO). I've pointed this out at Will Bolt be first to V2G/V2H? - My Nissan Leaf Forum. You can find a copy of that PDF at Wayback Machine. How far along is CCS with V2X? Per Post your questions about the '18 LEAF 2 reveal here - Page 6 - My Nissan Leaf Forum, by 2017 it was 7000+ customers in Japan with a V2H setup at home.

As I've pointed out numerous times, CHAdeMO has had a few more years to evolve and get over its initially crappy handles and doesn't have this issue: EA makes a video on how to prop-up the cable.
The Ford Lightning has Vehicle to Home, vehicle to grid is much more subject to local regulation... how is North America specific CHAdeMO V to G going in the real world?

Keith

Last edited:
how is North America specific CHAdeMO V to G going in the real world?

Keith
Exactly this. During the early years of CCS vs CHAD, the latter was actually more popular because there were more cars using them (Leaf especially). But as the years went on, more automakers chose not to use it. V2G feature may have saved it, but it wasn’t pursued, (a shame!) and so now the whole charging system is getting kicked to the curb, including Nissan.

It might work out elsewhere, like Japan, where more cars still use it AND the V2G thing.

Oh well!!

Reactions: jsight