Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Ford Lightning has Vehicle to Home, vehicle to grid is much more subject to local regulation... how is North America specific CHAdeMO V to G going in the real world?
On the latter, it doesn't seem to be.

Nissan corporate marketing guy in 2017 as I posted at Will Bolt be first to V2G/V2H? - My Nissan Leaf Forum wanted to have some sort of V2H solution for US consumers. At Level 3 at home - Page 7 - My Nissan Leaf Forum, I pointed to DENDO DRIVE HOUSE | 2019 Geneva International Motor Show | MITSUBISHI MOTORS JAPAN.

CHAdeMO bi-directional - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum has been dabbling with w/Setec CHAdeMO to AC out boxes and I found My Setec CHAdeMO Vehicle-to-Home Mods - My Nissan Leaf Forum.

On the latter, it doesn't seem to be.

Nissan corporate marketing guy in 2017 as I posted at Will Bolt be first to V2G/V2H? - My Nissan Leaf Forum wanted to have some sort of V2H solution for US consumers. At Level 3 at home - Page 7 - My Nissan Leaf Forum, I pointed to DENDO DRIVE HOUSE | 2019 Geneva International Motor Show | MITSUBISHI MOTORS JAPAN.

CHAdeMO bi-directional - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum has been dabbling with w/Setec CHAdeMO to AC out boxes and I found My Setec CHAdeMO Vehicle-to-Home Mods - My Nissan Leaf Forum.

I see a lot of home brew V to X stuff and any manufactured items are not available in North America but I can order a Ford Lightning with V to H today if I want.

Reactions: KJD
I wouldn't bother with the Setec/Lectron CCS1 adapter nor the official Tesla ChaDeMo adapters. They are expensive and slow. Buy the official Tesla CCS1 adapter from South Korea through a proxy service like many of us Model 3 owners are doing (we're even retrofitting our older cars to support CCS1). See this proxy service that many of us have used Get your Tesla's CCS1 Adapter From Korea!. You will have to give them your Tesla login so they can log in on the Korean Tesla website and order, because Tesla only allows orders in South Korea and limits them to 1 per owner. After they order it, you
can change your account password. Cost is about $320 including the proxy service fees and shipping. If your Tesla does not have the correct charge port ECU to work with the Tesla CCS1 adapter, it will cost an additional $180 to buy the ECU and wiring adapter harness and replace them yourself (see here for reference Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach).
FYI the Harumio site no longer needs your Tesla credentials to purchase the CCS adapter. They now show it as a 'click and by' option and it is about $ 300 USD with free shipping to North America. One is on the way !

Got mine fairly quick, no login needed, 7-8 days from ordering.

Really cool, just tried it out at an Electrify America station 150 kWh to confirm it works. Only got 62 kW/h but this was with higher state of charge 75% and not much driving to warm up the battery.

Definitely a good option, will still prefer superchargers ...

• Informative
Reactions: KJD and tps5352
Nice to just have the Option to charge at different places just in case. My charge stash is: Tesla Home Wall Connector 48amps, Mobile Connector W/ 50' 20amp extension cord, NEMA 6-15, 6-20, 14-50, J1772, TT-30, & Tesla CCS 1 Combo adapters, Tesla, EVgo, ElectrifyAmerica & ChargPoint accounts/Apps. Any other good suggestions to add to the stash? 🤣

IMG_4978.PNG

• Funny
Reactions: KJD and afscotch
Nice to just have the Option to charge at different places just in case. My charge stash is: Tesla Home Wall Connector 48amps, Mobile Connector W/ 50' 20amp extension cord, NEMA 6-15, 6-20, 14-50, J1772, TT-30, & Tesla CCS 1 Combo adapters, Tesla, EVgo, ElectrifyAmerica & ChargPoint accounts/Apps. Any other good suggestions to add to the stash? 🤣

View attachment 809029
10-30 and 14-30 adapters. Dryer outlets are probably the most commonly found garage (or near the garage) in houses that aren't wired for EV charging.

10-30 and 14-30 adapters. Dryer outlets are probably the most commonly found garage (or near the garage) in houses that aren't wired for EV charging.
Must be a US thing as I have never seen a dryer plug in a garage in Canada or at least in my neck of the woods that is. Is it common to have dryers in the garage in the US or is this just a standard plug so one has access to 220v in the garage?

Must be a US thing as I have never seen a dryer plug in a garage in Canada or at least in my neck of the woods that is. Is it common to have dryers in the garage in the US or is this just a standard plug so one has access to 220v in the garage?
I think it's a Mid-West thing, but around me in So. Calif. they are all gas and in the pantry, never the garage. No 10-30 or 14-30 in garages here that I know of?

In California, in older houses, the laundry machines are sometimes in the garage. It's probably less common in Canada because the water pipes would freeze.

But in newer homes, the entrance to the house from the garage is often the laundry room, and so you could still have a 10-30 or 14-30 close enough to the garage to be usable as a charging outlet.

Reactions: KJD and DrGriz