Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve tuned this thread out for a while since I got my CCS adapter more than a month ago. Today while making the 375 mile drive back from our cabin I started charging at a super charger, but people were getting backed up (I used up the last of my referral miles today). I decided to leave the super charger after buying $.56 worth of power and head across the street to an Electrify America 350kW charger. I saw up to 189 kW speeds.

I’m curious if a generalization can be made for which network is cheaper. It seemed clear that the Electrify America stations were less in demand. I talked to a guy with a Mercedes S Class when I started, and a guy having issues getting his VW ID.4 to charge when I returned to get me car.

I paid $.285 /kWh at Electrify America, which is about a 10 cent premium over my cost for electricity at home - I thought this was a pretty good deal.
I misstated the cost. I actually paid 24.5 cents per kWh, which is roughly 10 cents above the standard residential rate in Wisconsin.

That assembly sure looks like it would place an undue amount of stress on the Tesla charging port. Will Tesla cover any warranty claims?
Have you seen the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter, coupled with the weight of a CHAdeMO plug? It’s probably at least twice as heavy as the CCS adapter. That’s the one that looks like it will snap off with a mean stare!

If the car can handle that heavy pig of an adapter, it will handle the CCS adapter just fine.

5A2A4044-C4C9-409B-8BCF-9028E9E23988.jpeg

Last edited:
ok, maybe that's why. I am in the beta. Have considered pulling out but want the real things as quickly as possible so I've stayed in
Yup, your data will go towards solving the PB problem "for real"... I suspect that all they did for the rest of us was tone down the paranoia of the system... it is probably a bit less safe but getting ride of PB is worth the trade off for me since I pay attention most of the time when driving on AP. When they figure out how to make the car paranoid without having PB perhaps they will port that over to us regular folks. As part of the FSD Beta program you get to report problems right? If so, report each and every incidence of PB to speed up the resolution of the problem.

Keith

I misstated the cost. I actually paid 24.5 cents per kWh, which is roughly 10 cents above the standard residential rate in Wisconsin.

Ok, most of the country EA is per kWh, at either .43 kWh or .31 kWh if you pay the $4/month fee.

There in wisconsin, there are only a few EA chargers....and you are paying per minute. (a few states is by minute instead of per kWh). So your 24.5 cents is per minute charging, not per kWh. Or...was your final bill from EA actually calculated down to 24.5 cents per kWh?

Basically...does your EA receipt have your total cost, and total kWh charged or does it only display minutes?

Screenshot_13.png

I neglected to notice that the case is a preorder and they're gonna wait until both items are ready before shipping. So delivery will be 7-10 days after a date in the first week of June:

NOTE CCS1 Adapter Case: Pre-order. Shipping will start in the first week of June 2022 onwards. If you have a preorder item in an order with another item that is already available, your entire order will be shipped together when the preorder item arrives and is in stock. Items will not be shipped separately within the same order number.

I'm in the same situation ordered the adapter w/ case bundle on 05/22 and it is still waiting fulfillment.

• Ability to DC fast charge outside of Supercharger network
  • Cheaper charging rates on occasion
  • Free charging sessions using my wife's EA account with ID.4 charging rates ($0.00 per kWh)
  • Access to CCS chargers that are closer than Superchargers
  • Using CCS chargers when there is a waiting line for Superchargers on busy weekends & commuting hours.
  • Using CCS chargers when V2 Superchargers are being shared
  • Using CCS chargers at more convenient locations than Superchargers
  • Using free CCS chargers on some holiday weekends (EA chargers were free from Dec 23 to Jan 3rd). Some CCS chargers are always free and located in unique locations (most large car dealerships now have free 20-50kW CCS chargers onsite)
  • It's freaking cool!! :)

Great list of reasons and now you have me considering an ID4 as our next car for the 3 years of free charging perk.

Great list of reasons and now you have me considering an ID4 as our next car for the 3 years of free charging perk.
I guess it depends on how you use the car. In my case I have been to a SC 3 times in almost to 2 years. I still have free miles left from the original purchase which was only 1,000 km. All my charging is done at home or the office. The only times I needed to charge away from home is when we go to our marina which is a good 2hr drive there. As luck would have it, last winter they installed a couple of J1772 chargers in the parking lot of the Marina which I have used 3 times so far in the last few weeks. The coolest part is they are free for all to use or at least until the city decides otherwise. That being the case, I probably will not use other charging facilities in the future except on a very rare occasion. I guess my point is even if they gave me free charging, I would probably not use it much at all.

Honestly, if I lived in an apartment or condo with no means of home charging, I would not own an EV knowing what I know now. I would say the main advantage to an EV is plugging in at home and always being topped off in the morning. Same as I do for my cell phone.

Our rates are provincially controlled and owned so no big rate increases out of the blue occur. Cost to fill our Teslas at home are minimal as our rate is .0455/KWH.

I'm a little confused. When do I need a CCS adaptor and when would I use the J adaptor.
All Tesla chargers need no adapter including the wall connector, all others need the adapters depending on the style they offer. It will be either CCS, J1772 or ChaDeMo. Typically CCS and ChaDeMo are both found on the same charging stall. That being said, ChaDeMo is slowly being phased out.

I guess it depends on how you use the car. In my case I have been to a SC 3 times in almost to 2 years. I still have free miles left from the original purchase which was only 1,000 km. All my charging is done at home or the office. The only times I needed to charge away from home is when we go to our marina which is a good 2hr drive there. As luck would have it, last winter they installed a couple of J1772 chargers in the parking lot of the Marina which I have used 3 times so far in the last few weeks. The coolest part is they are free for all to use or at least until the city decides otherwise. That being the case, I probably will not use other charging facilities in the future except on a very rare occasion. I guess my point is even if they gave me free charging, I would probably not use it much at all.

Honestly, if I lived in an apartment or condo with no means of home charging, I would not own an EV knowing what I know now. I would say the main advantage to an EV is plugging in at home and always being topped off in the morning. Same as I do for my cell phone.

Our rates are provincially controlled and owned so no big rate increases out of the blue occur. Cost to fill our Teslas at home are minimal as our rate is .0455/KWH.
Same boa (pun intended) here. 2 years in August and I've only used a SC twice. Checked my charging out on testlafi last night and SC is 1.4+% of my charging. I would be cautious about buy an EV if I rented an apartment but some of the apartment complexes here have L2 charging. Not sure how well it works, or the cost. But it is there.

My CCS1 is supposed to be delivered today but tracking says it is on hold where it has been for a few days. I'm still hoping that is just memorial day hold and it does show up today.

All Tesla chargers need no adapter including the wall connector, all others need the adapters depending on the style they offer. It will be either CCS, J1772 or ChaDeMo. Typically CCS and ChaDeMo are both found on the same charging stall. That being said, ChaDeMo is slowly being phased out.

Coincidentally, I just posted this asking about the new CHAdeMO standard--i.e., where is it?

Ok, most of the country EA is per kWh, at either .43 kWh or .31 kWh if you pay the $4/month fee.

There in wisconsin, there are only a few EA chargers....and you are paying per minute. (a few states is by minute instead of per kWh). So your 24.5 cents is per minute charging, not per kWh. Or...was your final bill from EA actually calculated down to 24.5 cents per kWh?

Basically...does your EA receipt have your total cost, and total kWh charged or does it only display minutes?

This just reminded me to revert to the "pass plan" instead of "pass plus" since I am done with my CCS testing :)

Keith

View attachment 810795
My final bill worked out to 24.8 cents per kWh. $9.93 for 40 kWh. It does not display minutes.
FC4103B6-DC96-4B9A-88FD-E67460744094.jpeg

My final bill worked out to 24.8 cents per kWh. $9.93 for 40 kWh. It does not display minutes.View attachment 811141

That was cheap then. By the minute, it does make it so you want to make sure you are charging at full speed (180 kw/h would be ideal) since you are being charged the same per minute as charging at 100 kw/h (or conversely, charging at 90 kw/h instead of...like 50 kw/h at the lower tier). But yeah, great deal.

Summing up, the ordering and delivery process from Harumio was perfect. The adapter seems to work well. I had no problems with either the adapter or the EA charging station. And the Lebanon Bologna sandwich was great.

Now that I can be a bit more brave, on my next trip I'll try a 350kW charger when the car is more like 10% and see how well it does.
Just tested mine out, delivered 5/29 (2 days earlier than originally promised).

Went to an EA station with 13% SOC, been driving for more than an hour prior on a 75F day but no precondition otherwise, charging at ~145kW until 40% then slows down gradually to ~100kW around 50% where I stopped and took 12min. Glad everything works as expected (except the first time there was a connection error after I confirmed the rate and I had to pull everything out and do it over again).