Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see those on plug share. Never tried it. You're saying that say Nissan (one near me) doesn't mind me coming in with my Tesla and charging on their dime? Nice of them. Just a little surprised.
The dealership is private property, so I can't possibly speak for exactly what charging rules they allow.

That said pretty much every dealer-based CCS charger I have clicked on in Plugshare.. has comments from random people about how happy they were to charge to their Bolt, Mach-E, ID.4 etc on that particular charger. My guess is the dealer had the CCS charger installed to charge the EV they sell & service and those vehicles get priority. As long as the dealership vehicles aren't using the charger.. then probably care less that someone else plugged in. A few bucks of electricity is easily worth the foot traffic that could possibly sell a new $60K vehicle.

Tbh just get the “EVgo member” plan since the membership fee is then turned into charge credit.

Well as long as you don’t often charge above 80% cuz they price you by the minute. (Also obviously if you find their network inconvenient.)

The dealership is private property, so I can't possibly speak for exactly what charging rules they allow.

That said pretty much every dealer-based CCS charger I have clicked on in Plugshare.. has comments from random people about how happy they were to charge to their Bolt, Mach-E, ID.4 etc on that particular charger. My guess is the dealer had the CCS charger installed to charge the EV they sell & service and those vehicles get priority. As long as the dealership vehicles aren't using the charger.. then probably care less that someone else plugged in. A few bucks of electricity is easily worth the foot traffic that could possibly sell a new $60K vehicle.
Yep. Practice proper charging courtesy over there and don’t leave a bad name for us Tesla owners.

Photo is of my car at Loyalty Nissan of Richmond getting some free juice. A Tesla supercharger location is only 2 miles away but I wanted to test out the alternatives.

75F6FD73-46EF-4796-9C98-93122B83B332.jpeg
CFC8A98B-C2C7-49F5-9FA5-6D83E5348874.jpeg

Yep. Practice proper charging courtesy over there and don’t leave a bad name for us Tesla owners.

Photo is of my car at Loyalty Nissan of Richmond getting some free juice. A Tesla supercharger location is only 2 miles away but I wanted to test out the alternatives.

View attachment 812119View attachment 812120
That's exactly the type of free CCS charger I'm seeing in several places.. including car dealerships, shopping centers and even some gas stations. I recently found a Royal Farms gas station about 15 miles from me that has a free 50kW CCS charger that looks exactly like this. You figure sitting an hour at one of these should fill most EV batteries. Outside of the Model S/X and Mach-E.. most EV's have batteries that are 80kWh or smaller.. and nobody really shows up to a charger with a completely empty battery.

Also if I'm using free juice at the dealer.. I'll definitely take a few minutes to walk inside the dealer and check out the latest cars, especially any EVs. Nissan has a new SUV EV launching this year.. called the Ariya. And I would love to see one in person.

Hell I actually drive past Richmond at least once a month to see my Dad in Chesterfield! I usually stop at the Supercharger in Glen Allen or the one in Chester. I probably know exactly where this Nissan dealer is lol

Last edited:
Reactions: spokey
I see those on plug share. Never tried it. You're saying that say Nissan (one near me) doesn't mind me coming in with my Tesla and charging on their dime? Nice of them. Just a little surprised.
Go down Capital Blvd in Raleigh 11PM at night. Sky is illuminated by the lights on the lots all those dealerships. I think electricity cost would be their last concern. Dealership structure needs to change for the industry.

That's exactly the type of free CCS charger I'm seeing in several places.. including car dealerships, shopping centers and even some gas stations. I recently found a Royal Farms gas station about 15 miles from me that has a free 50kW CCS charger that looks exactly like this. You figure sitting an hour at one of these should fill most EV batteries. Outside of the Model S/X and Mach-E.. most EV's have batteries that are 80kWh or smaller.. and nobody really shows up to a charger with a completely empty battery.

Also if I'm using free juice at the dealer.. I'll definitely take a few minutes to walk inside the dealer and check out the latest cars, especially any EVs. Nissan has a new SUV EV launching this year.. called the Ariya. And I would love to see one in person.

Hell I actually drive past Richmond at least once a month to see my Dad in Chesterfield! I usually stop at the Supercharger in Glen Allen or the one in Chester. I probably know exactly where this Nissan dealer is lol

Idk about you guys, but i would never use a fast charger just to get "free" juice, especially if i didn't need it. A couple bucks savings here and there isn't worth the battery degradation. everyone remember the story a few years ago of a guy using a free chademo charger every day for a couple years and then was shocked when his car started limiting the fast charge rate.

• Disagree
Reactions: Don.Church and IdaX
Idk about you guys, but i would never use a fast charger just to get "free" juice, especially if i didn't need it. A couple bucks savings here and there isn't worth the battery degradation. everyone remember the story a few years ago of a guy using a free chademo charger every day for a couple years and then was shocked when his car started limiting the fast charge rate.
I think that would be an old vehicle/pack issue. Napkin math shows if I accumulate 20k miles that would place me way above the charge limit. Link to the original page: If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

There are quite a few of these type chargers around in the little town where we keep our boat. Really convenient as they installed several close to our marina which is a 2 hour drive from home there, so a charge is more than welcome. This one is in the marina parking lot, free of charge. Charges slow at about 30a but no big deal as we are at the boat anyway and usually stay for at least 3 days. Bottom line is free charging and no line ups, in fact I have yet to see another car use them. Plugged her in this morning and she is slowly filling up.

IMG_0100.jpg
IMG_0101.jpg

Last edited:
I actually agree with you. Well to a certain degree. There should be nobody buying a $70K Tesla.. who is dependent on free charging. If you can afford to spend that much money on a single-vehicle.. then you can afford to spend a few dollars to keep it charged. I'd feel the same way about someone buying a $70K Corvette.. and only putting the cheapest possible regular gas in it to drive it.

That said I do 99% of my charging at home. The only time I use a public charger is when driving long distances. And while I personally think the CCS1 adapter is one of the coolest accessories I've gotten for my Model Y. The reality is I still plan to prioritize Superchargers because they are easy, fast, and powerful. Reality is.. I don't ever really want to stop and charge.. so if I'm forced to do it then I would greatly prefer it doesn't take longer than 10-15mins to charge.

The majority of my long drives I want to get over as soon as possible. So the idea of stopping somewhere specifically to use a free charger and it's going to take an hour to do.. what a paid Supercharger would do in 10mins.. is not very attractive to me. That said.. there are definitely times when I'm not in a rush.. and actually DO want to stop for an hour or so. Maybe I need to take a long break, sit down in a restaurant and eat, do some shopping, or run a few errands. And that's when being plugged in for an hour or so at a slower CCS charger makes more sense. Being able to do that free.. AND fully charge the battery.. is pretty attractive given that particular scenario.

So it will be interesting to see just how much I use CCS charging going forward. That said a couple of times I've already tried the CCS1 adapter.. I have been absolutely wowed by the performance, added convenience, and of course free charging experience. It is a fantastic product and option I believe most Tesla owners would want to have.. dependent on their particular usage scenario. As I pointed out earlier in this thread.. the CCS1 adapter is all about added convenience and redundancy for fast charging my Tesla. Sometimes going to the closest Supercharger is either inconvenient or stressful.

After spending hours if not days reading everything I could find online on the benefits of owning a CCS adapter and watching the flood of YouTube video's I pulled the trigger and just ordered the adapter and carrying case. It's good to have more charging options during trips. Even established an EA account, just the basic for now. I can always upgrade down the road.

So for now Tesla owners seem to have all the advantages until Elon opens up the SCer network in the US.

The break even point is 33.33 kWh. If you charge more than that in a month at EA, it makes sense to pay the $4.00 to get the lower $0.31/kWh rate.

It looks to me that the break even point is 40kWh with EA. In my state they charge by the minute, so I can't exactly figure that on out - being you may have to charge when your battery may be at a higher level. We must also figure in the cost of the adapter. Even if the average cost in my area of $.34 per kWh at the SC stations -- it would break even after about 860kWh purchased. Convenience YES practicality MAYBE. But at the rate Tesla is raising the price of their charges -- the scales my just be starting to tip.

I actually agree with you. Well to a certain degree. There should be nobody buying a $70K Tesla.. who is dependent on free charging. If you can afford to spend that much money on a single-vehicle.. then you can afford to spend a few dollars to keep it charged. I'd feel the same way about someone buying a $70K Corvette.. and only putting the cheapest possible regular gas in it to drive it.

That said I do 99% of my charging at home. The only time I use a public charger is when driving long distances. And while I personally think the CCS1 adapter is one of the coolest accessories I've gotten for my Model Y. The reality is I still plan to prioritize Superchargers because they are easy, fast, and powerful. Reality is.. I don't ever really want to stop and charge.. so if I'm forced to do it then I would greatly prefer it doesn't take longer than 10-15mins to charge.

The majority of my long drives I want to get over as soon as possible. So the idea of stopping somewhere specifically to use a free charger and it's going to take an hour to do.. what a paid Supercharger would do in 10mins.. is not very attractive to me. That said.. there are definitely times when I'm not in a rush.. and actually DO want to stop for an hour or so. Maybe I need to take a long break, sit down in a restaurant and eat, do some shopping, or run a few errands. And that's when being plugged in for an hour or so at a slower CCS charger makes more sense. Being able to do that free.. AND fully charge the battery.. is pretty attractive given that particular scenario.

So it will be interesting to see just how much I use CCS charging going forward. That said a couple of times I've already tried the CCS1 adapter.. I have been absolutely wowed by the performanc
, added convenience, and of course free charging experience. It is a fantastic product and option I believe most Tesla owners would want to have.. dependent on their particular usage scenario. As I pointed out earlier in this thread.. the CCS1 adapter is all about added convenience and redundancy for fast charging my Tesla. Sometimes going to the closest Supercharger is either inconvenient or stressful.
I can't find free CCS charging in the area for the life of me.

Reactions: spokey
I can't find free CCS charging in the area for the life of me.
Use the PlugShare app or website and set the filtering configuration to not show sites that requirement payment.

I see a bunch of free CCS sites in Maryland. Many are vehicle dealerships but there are at least a couple of shopping mall chargers and a bunch of city library chargers.

Reactions: Daekwan
there was so much friction that, when it finally came loose my adapter went flying onto the concrete
You know, I kept that firmly in mind when I was removing my adapter after the first use… and guess what happened? 🤦‍♂️ Of course it went flying into the concrete and dirt 😂

Oh well, a couple of scratches and a dent in the body, but the thing is solidly built and still working 👍

After spending hours if not days reading everything I could find online on the benefits of owning a CCS adapter and watching the flood of YouTube video's I pulled the trigger and just ordered the adapter and carrying case. It's good to have more charging options during trips. Even established an EA account, just the basic for now. I can always upgrade down the road.

So for now Tesla owners seem to have all the advantages until Elon opens up the SCer network in the US.
I used the same rationale and did the same. It makes sense to give yourself another fast charging option. I also created an EA account. I plan to try the adapter out next week on a 350kw EVSE next week. Just need my SOC low enough to perform a proper test.

Reactions: KJD
I used the same rationale and did the same. It makes sense to give yourself another fast charging option. I also created an EA account. I plan to try the adapter out next week on a 350kw EVSE next week. Just need my SOC low enough to perform a proper test.
Should be interesting. I was only able to get up to around 185 kW with my vehicle, starting from 10% SoC. In non testing scenarios, I generally plan to stick to the 150 kW chargers if there are 2 or fewer 350 kW chargers because the 800V vehicles can benefit from using them more, just like I avoid the one EA charger with the CHAdeMO connector unless I am actually using CHAdeMO, so that CHAdeMO vehicles aren't prevented from charging.

BTW, DC fast chargers are actually chargers, not EVSEs. They're supplying DC voltage directly to the battery and not using the charger in the vehicle.