Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m thinking politics. Tesla Superchargers is a better product than CCS charging and one of many reasons why people chose Tesla. If Tesla introduced CCS adapters in the US market I’m sure some creative bureaucrat or politician would introduce a bill that would try to force Tesla to open up Superchargers for everyone. And while that may be good for the EV community overall it might not be in the best interest of a Tesla owner…

Yes — diminished sales at the Super Charger Stations! And the way things are going—it’ll be cheaper to charge elsewhere!
But on the flip side, they claim they make very little. Just enough to sustain it. Don't know if that includes the cost of adding more sites but selling the CCS1 would diminish the need for supercharger sites.

OTOH, they might have a liability for those vehicles that they sold without CCS1 abilities. Not the older ones, but the period last year(?) when they were selling cars without CCS1. Possible legal action there but as long as they don't sell the CCS1, no point in suing them to get all those cars upgraded.

My guess as to why Tesla has not released the adapted in the US is concern about support. There are so many different charging networks in the US (Electrify America, Shell, ChargePoint, etc.) When Telsa releases the adapter here there will be a flood of Teslas plugging into them. And then there will be a flood of support questions/calls.

No doubt someone from Tesla is monitoring forums such as this to get insight on how well the early adopters are getting along with these networks. Based on what is found (and their own testing) they may come out with a statement saying the adapters are specifically supported at Electrify America, etc. If a charging network isn't on the supported list, then Tesla can say it's not their problem.

Can anyone think of a reason that Tesla might have for not selling the CCS in the United States? I just don't see a downside to Tesla. It's not like they need to devote engineering resources to designing one. Are they worried about a loss of Supercharging sales?
They will cannibalize SC revenue. I also don't see a legitimate need for it in the United States since the SC network reaches far and wide. OCONUS is a different use case with respect to the SC network so it makes more sense that the CCS adapter is available in other markets.

Can anyone think of a reason that Tesla might have for not selling the CCS in the United States? I just don't see a downside to Tesla. It's not like they need to devote engineering resources to designing one. Are they worried about a loss of Supercharging sales?
I think it’s end user confusion and possibly supply chain. I don’t know how many Tesla’s actually have CCS enabled, but the fact that some went out last year without CCS could create confusion for users. I think they’d have to add some logic to the store of whether you have a car that is compatible, which I believe they‘ve done before. Then what do they do for those people with 6 month old cars that say hey WTF. Also the day they go on I’d bet they sell 10s of thousands of them.

Successful test of the CCS adapter. Battery was already at 80% so it didn’t max out but this particular charger has a max rate of 62kw anyway.

The most I saw was 50kW but much better than level 2.

1C458477-104F-421A-AB1A-30881B9549A9.jpeg

It shouldn't. I just got mine. $309 + $25 for the case to my doorstep about a week ago

You the dayton dan I see on the Tesla-owners-of-nj list? If so, hi. If not, hi anyway

- - - edit - - -
just realized you were saying that much for the Canadian version to you
Yes, I actually went through the process up to checking out because I though it was was CAD as well...! And I am on the list, and I'm that guy.

Likely they just need to scale up production. Korea is a small market, USA is a much, much bigger market.

• Informative
Reactions: Exelion
Are there still “supply-chain issues” surrounding ECU and thus CCS compatibility? In other words, are recent MYLR and MYP deliveries all CCS compatible?
As far as I know every car made in 2022 has a CCS compatible ECU. There was a period in April where the ECUs weren't available so they shipped cars without it to the delivery centers, and then had the ECU installed there when they were available. (Rather than put in a non-CCS ECU.)

As a reference the Model Y I just took delivery of that was built May 31st has a CCS compatible ECU.

Reactions: kitt2000
I’m thinking politics. Tesla Superchargers is a better product than CCS charging and one of many reasons why people chose Tesla. If Tesla introduced CCS adapters in the US market I’m sure some creative bureaucrat or politician would introduce a bill that would try to force Tesla to open up Superchargers for everyone. And while that may be good for the EV community overall it might not be in the best interest of a Tesla owner…
Tesla has already said it's opening supercharger for everyone to use, no bureaucrats required. Tesla will add CCS connectors to Supercharger stations in the US, says Elon Musk

Reactions: GSP and DanDi58
Must be a US thing as I have never seen a dryer plug in a garage in Canada or at least in my neck of the woods that is. Is it common to have dryers in the garage in the US or is this just a standard plug so one has access to 220v in the garage?
Unlike us north of the frost line, many homes in the US do not have basements like we do where laundry is typically kept. They may have shallow cellars for the foundation but not the full heights that all of our homes do (okay...they MAY be an exception in Canada) but point is that it is common to have laundry in the garage south of the 49th in many places.

Reactions: DrGriz
They must have run dry- I ordered 5/20. Sent them a chat inquiry asking if order had shipped yet. Got this:

New messages from Harumio​

Hi there. Upon checking, we are still waiting for the item to arrive at our warehouse. As soon as it arrives, our team will ship your order and you will be sent a confirmation email with a tracking number. From the date you place your order with us, it normally takes between 4-10 working days to receive your item in our warehouse from the supplier. For most countries, we use DHL Worldwide Express or FedEx to ship out the order. The average transit time then is 5-7 working days. Hope this clarifies. Thank you for your kind patience.
I received the same message and had a minor delay and am quite sure all of a sudden a Tesla store in Korea has seen a dramatic spike in OTC orders of the adapter. It is an incredibly viable hole in the supply chain that we can get these in a couple of weeks with a click on a KR website and it is probably the lowest price (and OEM) CCS adapter you can get for our cars that will not have any of the issues the 3rd party ones have.

So I guess I will just get the CCS for now, and wait for the rest of it to shake out for now. Thanks. Not feeling like I need to shell out three hundred bucks or so for the very limited amount of times I will really need it.
You would beg to pay $ 300 the first time you needed in ;-) Per my theory, with the proliferation of BEVs that are/will be coming, the CCS infrastructure will rapidly beef up and then we will have multiple options. Tesla is breaking records in sales year after year so the line ups at the Superchargers will likely grow significantly.

I received the same message and had a minor delay and am quite sure all of a sudden a Tesla store in Korea has seen a dramatic spike in OTC orders of the adapter. It is an incredibly viable hole in the supply chain that we can get these in a couple of weeks with a click on a KR website and it is probably the lowest price (and OEM) CCS adapter you can get for our cars that will not have any of the issues the 3rd party ones have.
I got it fine-13 working days. With the case too- works good- All set👍

Reactions: KJD and Proppilot
186 is the highest I've seen on a 350kw Electrify America charger. The battery was preconditioned and I started charging at 9% SOC. I'll run another test in the coming weeks but precondition the battery longer.
I saw up to 185 kW when charging starting at 10%. I did navigate to a nearby SC site but the car decided not to precondition the battery (maybe it was already warm enough).

• Informative
Reactions: Clark_Kent