Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SC rates in CA vary - off-peak ($0.28/kWh), peak ($0.58/kWh) or flat rates about ($0.45-0.47/kWh).

Whereas EA’s pass+ charges a flat $0.31/kWh. Definitely helps :)

But I second the availability and options factor. On a recent LA-SF road trip, we stopped at a SC and it was full while no one was at the EA 350 kW charger. Hit max charging speed of 179 kW and it tapered off from there.

The entire point of getting the adapter is "giving you more charging options".
I agree completely. I was just responding to the post about cost... I got mine to give me more options, especially since one of our rental properties that we go to frequently, doesn't have an option of getting L2 charging, and the nearest supercharger is about a 25 minute trek for a v2, but there is an EA station down the street... I actually wasn't expecting to use it very much, but when I saw how wide the price difference was, especially in California, I tried to use it as much as I could, on our last road trip.

I agree completely. I was just responding to the post about cost... I got mine to give me more options, especially since one of our rental properties that we go to frequently, doesn't have an option of getting L2 charging, and the nearest supercharger is about a 25 minute trek for a v2, but there is an EA station down the street... I actually wasn't expecting to use it very much, but when I saw how wide the price difference was, especially in California, I tried to use it as much as I could, on our last road trip.
Yep. My bad. I actually should have replied to the other guy instead of you! lol

The CCS adapter unlocks free charging for me, via my wife's EA account. So I plan to pretty much never use another Supercharger until her free charging status expires.. or EA blocks my vehicle.

Yep. My bad. I actually should have replied to the other guy instead of you! lol
You should have seen my wife while I was using the EA stations.. Everytime she saw me switching handles, or switching stalls, she said the cost savings wasn't worth it to her, and would rather just go to a supercharger, lol... But it sure was nice when we were in town visiting family, and there were EA stations literally across the street from them, so I could just charge there, instead of driving across town to a supercharger. (and not pay 58 cents, lol)

You should have seen my wife while I was using the EA stations.. Everytime she saw me switching handles, or switching stalls, she said the cost savings wasn't worth it to her, and would rather just go to a supercharger, lol... But it sure was nice when we were in town visiting family, and there were EA stations literally across the street from them, so I could just charge there, instead of driving across town to a supercharger. (and not pay 58 cents, lol)
Oh I'm sure. For people who don't understand just how expensive 58 cents is.. a Model S has a 100kWh battery pack. It will cost you $58.. that FIFTY-EIGHT dollars to completely fill the battery on the Model S or X.. during the day in California. Hell, my old 2018 CRV would take 12 gallons to fill up and really did avg 30mpg.. that's 360 miles of real-world range with $5 gas now the nationwide average.

Who would have thought fully charging an EV.. would cost as much as filling up an ICE?

My sister is coming to visit this weekend. She's renting a car because she doesn't trust her car to make the 500-mile roundtrip drive. She had a choice between renting a Corolla for $187 or a Model 3 for $338. And she chose Corolla. You figure that thing gets 40mpg on the highway.. so she will only spend about $60 in gas. My guess is renting the Tesla would be about $50 in Supercharging to drive the same distance.

Reactions: CaptUAL and MacO512
SC rates in CA vary - off-peak ($0.28/kWh), peak ($0.58/kWh) or flat rates about ($0.45-0.47/kWh).

Whereas EA’s pass+ charges a flat $0.31/kWh. Definitely helps :)

But I second the availability and options factor. On a recent LA-SF road trip, we stopped at a SC and it was full while no one was at the EA 350 kW charger. Hit max charging speed of 179 kW and it tapered off from there.
what I observed in LA last month on a Saturday mid morning was that the SC stalls were all occupied during the last 30 minutes of 28 cent power while a few EA chargers next door were empty. The 3 cents wouldn't kill me, I just needed a top off as my plan to charge in Buena Park was thwarted by the SC being offline for some reason.

At 58 cents, there really isn't a savings vs gas. It's definitely a convenience thing only. Bottom line, I think, is SoCal Edison and PG&E customers need to go solar and before the nem 2.0 replacement is passed. Then it's 8-11 cents.

. She had a choice between renting a Corolla for $187 or a Model 3 for $338. And she chose Corolla. You figure that thing gets 40mpg on the highway.. so she will only spend about $60 in gas. My guess is renting the Tesla would be about $50 in Supercharging to drive the same distance.
Where's she driving from? I ask because I drove past a couple gas stations along I-5 near Shasta that were over $7 gallon for regular. Most all the stations I saw were about $6.50 or so for regular.

You're spot on for charging I paid $52 to go about 650 miles to meet up with my brother on the first half of my trip.

Here’s something interesting to note.

So I was charging from the EVgo today. This particular site has two 350kw handles, and two mixed handles, where one CCS is 100kw and the Tesla/CHAD is 50kw.

So obviously, i tried to use the 350kw CCS1 handles first. Both stopped charging after two minutes. Crap. Ok, so I tried the 100 kw handle. That worked, but only pushed to 82kw. Not super fast, hut faster than…….

If I didn’t have the CCS1 adapter, I’d have to use the tesla/chademo plug, which limits to 50kw. And the thing about 50kw is, its never really 50. It’s usually 35 or so and slowly rises to about 48-49 during the course of charging. While I know it would work, its marginally slower.

Definitely an advantage to have the CCS1 adapter, even if the station has provisions for Tesla!
D7B5CD0E-F91F-4FEF-A846-52BA2077CA7A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: MacO512 and Daekwan
Here’s something interesting to note.

So I was charging from the EVgo today. This particular site has two 350kw handles, and two mixed handles, where one CCS is 100kw and the Tesla/CHAD is 50kw.

So obviously, i tried to use the 350kw CCS1 handles first. Both stopped charging after two minutes. Crap. Ok, so I tried the 100 kw handle. That worked, but only pushed to 82kw. Not super fast, hut faster than…….

If I didn’t have the CCS1 adapter, I’d have to use the tesla/chademo plug, which limits to 50kw. And the thing about 50kw is, its never really 50. It’s usually 35 or so and slowly rises to about 48-49 during the course of charging. While I know it would work, its marginally slower.

Definitely an advantage to have the CCS1 adapter, even if the station has provisions for Tesla!
View attachment 817479
How is a Chademo plug a provision for Tesla? You need an adapter for that.

I created a video on how to purchase from Harum.io and why you would need one.

Key reasons why you should have one:
1. Cheaper to charge using the CCS adapter than most Tesla Superchargers
2. Gives you more charging options

You stated “older Model S” and showed a picture of my 2021 MSP smaller charge port, and said the CCS 1 adapter does not fit? Not so, it fits fine in the smaller port.

How is a Chademo plug a provision for Tesla? You need an adapter for that.
EVgo has installed (and still in the process, aparently) of retrofitting a lot of their sites with Tesla CHAD adapters, allowing every single EV sold in north america to DC charge, if they are capable of it. What they did was put an adapter into a box, and extended it from the CHAD handle. Basically, the dispenser has all three handles, CCS1, CHAdeMO, and Tesla connector.

The CHAdeMO handle has been relocated to the far side of the dispenser cabinet. Difficult to describe so here’s a stock picture of the wiring mess it can look like:

D4D58173-57FB-4700-9C46-F24499FC7D21.jpeg

This is one of those sites that was recently updated. I know this because I charge here pretty regularly and the last time I was here, there was no Tesla connector.

I applaud EVgo for this, but they still have a long way to go as far as site maintenance. Two chargers which can only run for two minutes? Seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daekwan
what I observed in LA last month on a Saturday mid morning was that the SC stalls were all occupied during the last 30 minutes of 28 cent power while a few EA chargers next door were empty. The 3 cents wouldn't kill me, I just needed a top off as my plan to charge in Buena Park was thwarted by the SC being offline for some reason.
Same over here... Another thing I noticed on accident... I barely made the off-peak cut-off at a SC up here... It was like 15 minutes before the cutoff... Right when 11am rolled around I debated if I should leave, but I really needed to finish charging becuase of where I was going, so I didn't end up leaving until 11:15.. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked my invoice, and saw that I was only charged the off-peak rate, even tho I overstayed my welcome by 15 minutes... So I wasn't sure if the way the billing works, is that it's billed based on your charging start time....

So I wasn't sure if the way the billing works, is that it's billed based on your charging start time....
Yep! On Memorial Day holiday weekend, free Supercharging (on select, inter-city sites) was from 7:00 PM to 10:00 AM. I plugged in at 9:55 AM and the entire session was free!

The SC site was a lot less crowded than I thought it would be with plenty of stalls available. It must be hard for people to get up early and drive, even with a huge $$$ incentive like that.

I created a video on how to purchase from Harum.io and why you would need one.

Key reasons why you should have one:
1. Cheaper to charge using the CCS adapter than most Tesla Superchargers
2. Gives you more charging options

I'm beginning to wonder if purchasing the CCS adapter through harum.io is actually a benefit to Tesla. It saves Tesla NA from having to handle a large number of orders which most likely would result in bursts of heavy demand followed by long droughts of out of stock notices. The adapters are manufactured in East Asia and shipping is done individually by individual adapter. huram.io can only ship a small number of adapters at a time, because supply is constrained. Thus, the adapters trickle out to NA customers at a controlled pace.

I'm beginning to wonder if purchasing the CCS adapter through harum.io is actually a benefit to Tesla. It saves Tesla NA from having to handle a large number of orders which most likely would result in bursts of heavy demand followed by long droughts of out of stock notices. The adapters are manufactured in East Asia and shipping is done individually by individual adapter. huram.io can only ship a small number of adapters at a time, because supply is constrained. Thus, the adapters trickle out to NA customers at a controlled pace.
And Tesla is selling these units at MSRP. Its not they are taking a loss by having to pay a middle man.

IF we are aware of such an easy way to get these adapters, surely Tesla INC is aware. My guess is they are fine with this 'loophole' as for right now it benefits both the corporation and the customer. Its no secret that Tesla is selling EV's.. quicker than they are building Superchargers to keep up with demand:

Last edited:
Yep! On Memorial Day holiday weekend, free Supercharging (on select, inter-city sites) was from 7:00 PM to 10:00 AM. I plugged in at 9:55 AM and the entire session was free!

The SC site was a lot less crowded than I thought it would be with plenty of stalls available. It must be hard for people to get up early and drive, even with a huge $$$ incentive like that.

Heck yes it was free that weekend. I was on a road trip to the Eastern Sierras and I got 48kW of free juice at the Hesperia SC around 6am on the 27th. It was awesome and there was only one other Tesla there charging at that time.

And Tesla is selling these units at MSRP. Its not they are taking a loss by having to pay a middle man.

IF we are aware of such an easy way to get these adapters, surely Tesla INC is aware. My guess is they are fine with this 'loophole' as for right now it benefits both the corporation and the customer. Its no secret that Tesla is selling EV's.. quicker than they are building Superchargers to keep up with demand:

Yes, your speculations are right on target. I doubt that it was planned, but in hind-sight one could be forgiven for thinking that the whole thing--
  • The genuine and imagined problems of range anxiety and Supercharging unavailability/congestion.
  • An desirable remedy (growing numbers of CCS charge stations) initially unavailable to North American Tesla drivers.
  • Promises (by EM via Twitter and/or other sources) of a magical solution (the adapter) to come "soon."
  • Arguably unsatisfactory third-party alternatives.
  • A ramped up feeding-frenzy among customers as time drags on.
  • The limited "pilot program" product release for just certain models in just one country (Korea).
  • And clever North American customers finding ways to import the otherwise unavailable product).
was the product of some uber-marketing-genius at Tesla. It sure seems like once again the company has fallen in the %^&! and come out smelling like a rose.