Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, your speculations are right on target. I doubt that it was planned, but in hind-sight one could be forgiven for thinking that the whole thing--
  • The genuine and imagined problems of range anxiety and Supercharging unavailability/congestion.
  • An desirable remedy (growing numbers of CCS charge stations) initially unavailable to North American Tesla drivers.
  • Promises (by EM via Twitter and/or other sources) of a magical solution (the adapter) to come "soon."
  • Arguably unsatisfactory third-party alternatives.
  • A ramped up feeding-frenzy among customers as time drags on.
  • The limited "pilot program" product release for just certain models in just one country (Korea).
  • And clever North American customers finding ways to import the otherwise unavailable product).
was the product of some uber-marketing-genius at Tesla. It sure seems like once again the company has fallen in the %^&! and come out smelling like a rose.
Oh I certainly agree. Tesla has done a tremendous job at revolutionizing the auto industry and passenger car travel as we know it. That said they are far from perfect, have had incredible luck due to the timing of literally record-high gas prices and consumer spending, and are still lacking in a ton of areas that could pretty easily be addressed.

That said their gamble a decade ago to go full speed into the EV sector when everybody else was still sitting on the bench, continues to pay off with opportunities like this. Them being first.. in addition to now being the largest EV manufacturer.. means even when they trip over themselves.. they often still end up winning the race.

Just tested mine out. Got session start errors on the first one and on my first try at the second. I took more time to try and seat the adapter better and then it worked. No warmup or preconditioning and it’s charging at 70kw on a 150kw station at 65%. These electrify america cables sure are a beast to handle compared to the supercharger ones.

To be fair, it wasn't a "pilot program" in South Korea. Tesla was made to provide the adapter by SK government since they mandate CCS1 in their country.

Yes, I knew it wasn't an official test program (hence the use of the quotes). Nonetheless, it has acted as an experiment, I suppose. Still curious why Models S and X weren't included? (Probably because so many are pre-2020 or otherwise couldn't accept the adapter.)

What you are saying is interesting, for sure. So would Tesla have even developed a CCS1 adapter if not forced to by Korea? Or maybe it just had to speed up long-term plans already in existence (to develop an adapter)?

Regardless, it has worked out well for impatient North American drivers (myself included) who needed or wanted a CCS1 adapter. Now (based on reports on TMC) if only EA stations were more reliable.

It’s $295 with promo code SHOWOFF at Harumio:
Just tried the discount code SHOWOFF and it applies the discount on the first page but removes it on the next shipping / payment page saying that this is not available to you....How did you get it to work?

But it sure was nice when we were in town visiting family, and there were EA stations literally across the street from them, so I could just charge there, instead of driving across town to a supercharger. (and not pay 58 cents, lol)
When I am visiting family I just plug in to a wall outlet. Even if they are hesitant I reassure them it is low cost and safe. It’s been nice we drove from TX to FL to SC and VA. At all stops at relatives house I was able to trickle charge over a couple of days. I have my CCS adaptor for the trip back home which I think will be huge because we have two young children and if someone has to go to the restroom And CCS is nearby that will be a huge time savings.

Reactions: BobbyTables
$309 from SK for me + I sprang for the $25 case. I had bought https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09289DDHK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details you see in a few videos from Amazon (~17 from Amazon) but thought this case with the molded inserts for the CCS1 & J1772 was better. Got it in 15 days which included over memorial day here. Worded fine in the one test so far
Just to verify, you did receive the case? Their website says pre-order and will ship 3rd week in June.

Just to verify, you did receive the case? Their website says pre-order and will ship 3rd week in June.
yes
The case arrived with the adapter. I don't really know what the site said at that time (~5/20). I had already placed the adapter order and a couple days later the case showed up on the adapter page. I emailed Harumio and asked them to add the case to the order which they did. I had to authorize the additional $25 on my credit card.

i don't think it delayed anything. It took mine 15 days from order to delivery but there were 2 weekends and the second was memorial day weekend. It was delivered Tuesday, the day after memorial day.

I actually had bought this case - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09289DDHK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details that others have gotten before the Harumio one came back. It seemed OK but I liked the idea of the foam cutouts cradling the adapters so I returned the Amazon one.

Reactions: cosmith71
Just got mine today, had to work with Harum to cancel my case order so that I could take delivery of the adaptor sooner since the case was out of stock. We are driving from VA to TX next week and wanted to make sure I had the adaptor for that drive. Case would be nice but not sure it’s worth paying $45 now since it is more expensive when bought separate from the adaptor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 112