Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I am going to get the Amazon case thanks for the link. I would like the Harum one but for $18 vs $45 on Harum it's not worth it/.

If anyone needs/wants one of the early cases (no longer available) from Harumio or (sold out on) Amazon, head on over to Crazy Tim's CCS1 Adapter Case sale. (I'll try to offer a good deal.)

I did the CCS test yesterday. Unfortunately, I was unable to try a 350 kw charger - the EA station I went to had 10 stalls, three of which were 350 kw - 2 were occupied and the third apparently out of service, according to the app (although there was no indication on the screen). I tried it anyway but no joy. The 150 kw stall worked fine - my battery was at 39% and battery was quite warm as I had just finished a 30 mile run on the NJ Turnpike at 80 mph. I got a max of 120 kw. The process is certainly clunky compared to a Supercharger, and I have an EA account with an associated credit card.

One thing that was cool was seeing different EV's charging there. When I left, there was a Bolt and older Hyundai Ionic (both using the 350 kw stations - wasn't aware they could charge at those speeds), a new Ionic5 and a Taycan
. IMG_2449.jpgIMG_2447.jpgIMG_2446.jpg

I did the CCS test yesterday. Unfortunately, I was unable to try a 350 kw charger - the EA station I went to had 10 stalls, three of which were 350 kw - 2 were occupied and the third apparently out of service, according to the app (although there was no indication on the screen). I tried it anyway but no joy. The 150 kw stall worked fine - my battery was at 39% and battery was quite warm as I had just finished a 30 mile run on the NJ Turnpike at 80 mph. I got a max of 120 kw. The process is certainly clunky compared to a Supercharger, and I have an EA account with an associated credit card.

One thing that was cool was seeing different EV's charging there. When I left, there was a Bolt and older Hyundai Ionic (both using the 350 kw stations - wasn't aware they could charge at those speeds), a new Ionic5 and a Taycan
. View attachment 820459View attachment 820460View attachment 820461
I am pretty sure they can’t , they probably just clueless.

That's what I was thinking as well.
People are clueless when it comes to charging etiquette in general. One of the reasons for buying the CCS adapter is I'm so tired of someone pulling into the charging space that's shared with me at a V2 Supercharger. The first few times it's like okay that sucks. Now I'm at the point where I absolutely say something. Especially if your lack of knowledge is costing me extra time and I'm already on a tight schedule. There's no reason to be rude about it, most people are simply unaware of how it works.. until someone explains it.

We all need to do a better job of educating people about EV charging. Outside of Youtube videos.. there just needs to be an easier way to reference the dos & donts of charging. Explanation of L1, L2, and L3 charging speeds and the amount of range it will add per hour is important. Charging costs and people abusing free public chargers also need to be discussed openly.

But what to do at DCFC charging stations is probably at the top of the list, because your actions greatly affect others. I would be pretty pissed if I had a Taycan, Ioniq5, or EV6 and pull into an EA station with 10 chargers, many of the open.. and there is a Bolt taking up a 350kW spot when it maxes out at 50kW. There is no way I couldn't have a conversation with that person to let me know what they were doing wrong and why it's so frowned upon.

After having the CCS charger for a week and a half - I now have 5 different charge apps for all the various chargers and have not been able to charge on any without an initial issue. I am happy I have but is a hassle. Need to try Electrify America and Chargepoint as hoping they may have less issues than EVgo and EV Connect which I tried and had a lot of issues with (not recognizing account, stopping charging w/o reasons, etc)

After having the CCS charger for a week and a half - I now have 5 different charge apps for all the various chargers and have not been able to charge on any without an initial issue. I am happy I have but is a hassle. Need to try Electrify America and Chargepoint as hoping they may have less issues than EVgo and EV Connect which I tried and had a lot of issues with (not recognizing account, stopping charging w/o reasons, etc)

I've had similar issues, although they were all user error. I spent a couple of minutes failing at one only to realize that I had been swiping the chademo cable on instead of the CCS one. 🤦‍♂️

On a brighter note, that session did eventually start, peaked at ~150kw, and was 100% free.

Reactions: Daekwan
So far I have used about a dozen different CCS sites. I just expect to have issues. It is a surprise when it works on the first try.

Reactions: Fraslin and IdaX
People are clueless when it comes to charging etiquette in general. One of the reasons for buying the CCS adapter is I'm so tired of someone pulling into the charging space that's shared with me at a V2 Supercharger. The first few times it's like okay that sucks. Now I'm at the point where I absolutely say something. Especially if your lack of knowledge is costing me extra time and I'm already on a tight schedule. There's no reason to be rude about it, most people are simply unaware of how it works.. until someone explains it.
Tesla could help by marking the alternate stalls in some way, along with signage. The car display could even say - "Take odd stalls first." Otherwise, how would they know?

Reactions: cusetownusa
How about Tesla deactivating all the stalls next to the ones being used until all those stalls are taken? It won't take long for people to realize the ones aren't working are the ones next to someone else.

I'd put it on Tesla to implement things like this rather than the continuous, never-ending attempt to educate everyone-every single day a new Tesla owner emerges and has no clue about charging etiquette. While I do applaud the attempts, I realize it's futile, until a built-in safeguard is implemented, or, every single charger is at least a V3.

I get my adapter on the 28th and I plan to test it out later in the week. I’ve signed up for Chargepoint and EA so I’ll soon be locked and loaded for more options. Fact is I don’t expect to need it but hey, another tool in the toolbox right?

It's Tesla's fault for using such a stupid design. Gas pumps don't pump at only half the rate if someone is using the nozzle on the other side of the pump you're using, do they?

• Funny
Reactions: Exelion
It's Tesla's fault for using such a stupid design. Gas pumps don't pump at only half the rate if someone is using the nozzle on the other side of the pump you're using, do they?
Yes it does lol
When i was pumping gas i could feel the pressure getting weaker when someone was filling at the same time. As soon as they were done i would get full pressure again. But yes not half rate

Yes it does lol
When i was pumping gas i could feel the pressure getting weaker when someone was filling at the same time. As soon as they were done i would get full pressure again. But yes not half rate
Weaker? Yes, but I've never seen the rate decline more than maybe 20% or so. In any case, this crappy V2 design is Tesla's fault, and it makes for a crappy end user experience when you can't really count on how long it'll take to charge because they've shared power with the neighboring stall.