Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could actually be resolved by people reading the Owner's Manual, too. How often do you see questions asked on this forum that are clearly answered in the OM?!
the manual that is virtual only? Laughing.

People read the manual, esp in this form, to answer questions they have. No one would imagine the need to know this, and as it stands, the advice is qualified with a maybe in Tips.

OTOH, Tesla knows which stations have this limitation, so it could actually show it on the nav screen as you arrive.

As for design decisions- it's better to have twice the stalls that sometimes run at 1/2. The reduction is only in place when both are actively charging, not in the post charge, or at the upper end of the SoC where the rate is dropping anyway. It was a more economical build at a time when the company had weaker balance sheets and entire country to fill.

Went to lunch with my wife and friends today, saw a guy charging his Hyundai Ioniq at an EV Go and asked how it was going. Curious as my CCS adapter will arrive this week and I'll be testing it out. Said he was only able to get like 35KW but he lives in an apartment and doesn't have charging there so his options were limited. Kind of hit home those of us who charge at home when we wish are fortunate and there's a sizable chunk of the population who are challenged with EV adoption.

Reactions: DanDi58 and jsight
Given the Tesla CCS1 adapter if purely passive with a plastic housing and metal conductors between the pins on the Tesla plug and CCS socket, this adapter should be relatively low cost to manufacturer. Given Tesla sells the smaller J1772 adapter for $50 a realistic price for the CCS adapter should be in the $100 - $150 range, but Tesla will charge whatever Tesla wants to charge when the US version of the CCS is sold thru the US Tesla store. My only hesitation in ordering the CCS adapter from Korea is will the $300+ cost be significantly more than the price of the US version when it becomes available. Given I don't have any urgent need for the CCS adapter, I think I'll wait and see what Tesla offers here in US store, hopefully within the next few months.

I don't have an immediate need either but I wanted one for this fall when I trek out to Denver to see my daughter. I figured even if Tesla started selling a CCS here before then, the most likely thing to happen would be I'd miss it and it would be out of stock. So I decided to get it now, try it out and have it ready to go.

I don't have an immediate need either but I wanted one for this fall when I trek out to Denver to see my daughter. I figured even if Tesla started selling a CCS here before then, the most likely thing to happen would be I'd miss it and it would be out of stock. So I decided to get it now, try it out and have it ready to go.
Agree. I really don’t anticipate needing it but I’ll feel better having the option just in case. Especially with the increased competition for supercharging slots. IMO this makes much more sense than the lengths/expense some go to lugging a modern spare tire around every day.

I have the modern spare myself but other than to see it wouldn't stand up behind the rear seat without removing the floor cover, I haven't had it in the car. I bought that for trips as well. Local I would call mobile service or towing or probably first my wife (or daughter) to bring me the MS. It's just too big to carry around day to day.

FYI I used code jennycubs on harum.io today and got it for 293.55 shipped (5% off). If you buy 2, you get another $20 discount.
THANK YOU!

I tried the SHOWOFF code and it seemed to work on the first screen, then at checkout it said it couldn't be used.

The discount code jennycubs gave me a $16.70 discount on the CCS adapter and case.

Given the Tesla CCS1 adapter if purely passive with a plastic housing and metal conductors between the pins on the Tesla plug and CCS socket, this adapter should be relatively low cost to manufacturer. Given Tesla sells the smaller J1772 adapter for $50 a realistic price for the CCS adapter should be in the $100 - $150 range, but Tesla will charge whatever Tesla wants to charge when the US version of the CCS is sold thru the US Tesla store. My only hesitation in ordering the CCS adapter from Korea is will the $300+ cost be significantly more than the price of the US version when it becomes available. Given I don't have any urgent need for the CCS adapter, I think I'll wait and see what Tesla offers here in US store, hopefully within the next few months.
That makes sense most don't have the urgency or need for CCS1, so makes sense to wait for the lower cost adapter to become available.
In my case I do not have a home charger (old electric breaker, so high cost home upgrade I will eventually do), but in the meantime free CCS1 charging is offered around locations in LA so I figure the premium will pay for itself

So the case is on back-order again. It would have been another 2 weeks or so before my Harumio order shipped. I cancelled the case and the adapter shipped today. It's frustrating because I told them when I ordered it a week ago to cancel the case if it would delay my order.

I used the CCS adapter on Electrify America again last night and I don't know why other automotive manufacturers are having problems with the network and the experience. It's been flawless both times I've used it. I thought it would take a minute or two to communicate with the charger but that wasn't the case at all. It took about 10 seconds, and I was charging. Both chargers I used were 150kW chargers. There is a 350kW charger a bit further away that I really want to try.

It's been roughly 9 months since it was coming 'soon'. I think it's going to cost roughly the same in the US market, but we'll sell.

I got my adaptor yesterday and plan on testing it out on a nearby Evolve NY 350kw station just to see how it works and get comfortable using a non supercharger to charge for the 1st time.

Looking at the plug share app it looks like the CCS network, at least in NY where I travel, isn't great. Not many stations and usually only a couple of chargers per station. Not sure how to check to see if the 2 stations are being used or working beforehand. I would not want to rely on it exclusively for traveling but thought the CCS could come in handy at some point.

I got my adaptor yesterday and plan on testing it out on a nearby Evolve NY 350kw station just to see how it works and get comfortable using a non supercharger to charge for the 1st time.

Looking at the plug share app it looks like the CCS network, at least in NY where I travel, isn't great. Not many stations and usually only a couple of chargers per station. Not sure how to check to see if the 2 stations are being used or working beforehand. I would not want to rely on it exclusively for traveling but thought the CCS could come in handy at some point.
Download EA app it shows how many stalls and how many available

That's the one problem at the moment. The networks just aren't as good as Tesla's but the adapter will come in handy. Some CCS chargers actually cost less than some of Tesla's Superchargers after they've raised prices.

I have plugshare but I use the dedicated apps for EA, Volt, and ChargePoint and EVGo for info like that.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa