Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Download EA app it shows how many stalls and how many available

Thanks...so the best way to work the public chargers is to first look at the PlugShare app to find one and if it is an EA charger you then open the EA app to see more information about that location?

Also, noticed that not all of the Evolve NY charging stations are EA. Not sure how to tell what it is to know what app to download and look at for availiblity. Looks like some of them are Shell recharge stations maybe?

Looking at the EA app, the one station near me only has one 350kw station and one 150kw station. If I was traveling across NY state I would not have much confidence in the charging network. The next closest station is at least 1 hour away and has the same limited options...and this is along major highways (NY State Thruway and Route 81). Venture off the major highways and becomes even more scarce.

Edit...looks like Shell recharge has some chargers across NY state away from the major highways. A bit cumbersome needing to download a bunch of apps but looks like the public charging system is not as bad as I originally thought. The main issue is there are only a couple of chargers at each location so the odds of one being open is very low.

Last edited:
I used the CCS adapter on Electrify America again last night and I don't know why other automotive manufacturers are having problems with the network and the experience. It's been flawless both times I've used it. I thought it would take a minute or two to communicate with the charger but that wasn't the case at all. It took about 10 seconds, and I was charging. Both chargers I used were 150kW chargers. There is a 350kW charger a bit further away that I really want to try.
I picked an adapter up and tested it out last night as well. The only CCS in our town is an evgo that has had the cables cut since February. I drove to the nearest 350kw EA where 3 of the 4 stations were broken. The station that worked had a faulty nfc reader and a difficult to read screen, but I got it to work with physically having to get my card out of my wallet. 🤣 gasp, the humanity.

It worked, and I’m happy but man am I grateful to have Tesla’s SC network. Sounds like your experience was on the high end and mine was on the low end. I’m sure the average user experience is somewhere in between 😄👍

Attachments

• 111B6A56-9547-4A85-AD4B-97CA09F8ADD8.jpeg
    111B6A56-9547-4A85-AD4B-97CA09F8ADD8.jpeg
    603.5 KB · Views: 117
At the moment, there's not too much danger to Tesla losing a lot of SC revenue because of the CCS1 adapter. That might also be true if the adapter was readily available directly from Tesla NA. The NA CCS network has a number of disadvantages when compared to the SC network. You need a separate card to pay for charging. The CCS network is more sparse and consists of multiple vendors. Sometimes either the CCS charger doesn't work with the adapter or some of the chargers are broken. It also takes tricking the car to preheat the battery prior to charging. The only consistent CCS advantage seems to be that the SC network is more expensive.

It may be that Tesla "used" the Harumio option to test the response of the more sophisticated segment of the Tesla base to see how the SC revenue might be impacted. Until the CCS network improves, I don't think Tesla has much to worry about.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I was lucky to pick up the adapter pretty early on, maybe paid a little more than what it has settled to now, but no complaints. Didn't have to do any changes to the car since it was enabled.

One thing that struck me my last SuC in Oxnard, CA it was .$058 per kWh.... If I'd caught on, since this location is in a open mall and difficult to get into and was a V2 that was full, I would have been better off finding a nearby EA charger and paid less. Personally I will now be more conscious of the price since I was traveling. As someone pointed out to me, pay the $4 for a month to EA and get an even lower price per kWh and then cancel it since i was putting in about 50 kW to the car.

You need a separate card to pay for charging. The CCS network is more sparse and consists of multiple vendors. Sometimes either the CCS charger
To use the tesla network you need a card on file (maybe not for free lifetime). I have the same card on file at EA. Don't see any difference there. I think the same card for ChargePoint too. I guess one small difference is that for EA and CP you load an amount (defaults to $10 I think) whereas Tesla just bills you the exact amount. So EA and CP are making a penny of interest every six months maybe but that's about it.

Yes I do need to swipe my phone with those whereas Tesla knows the car so knows the account and charges accordingly but that's pretty minor in my opinion.

Reactions: HotIce and Daekwan
To use the tesla network you need a card on file (maybe not for free lifetime). I have the same card on file at EA. Don't see any difference there. I think the same card for ChargePoint too. I guess one small difference is that for EA and CP you load an amount (defaults to $10 I think) whereas Tesla just bills you the exact amount. So EA and CP are making a penny of interest every six months maybe but that's about it.

Yes I do need to swipe my phone with those whereas Tesla knows the car so knows the account and charges accordingly but that's pretty minor in my opinion.
I just use my regular credit card on account with EA and CP. It's in my Apple wallet so I just tap it on the payment pad, albeit sometimes several times and at several different chargers.... :cool:

I just use my regular credit card on account with EA and CP. It's in my Apple wallet so I just tap it on the payment pad, albeit sometimes several times and at several different chargers.... :cool:
That's what I was trying to say (apparently poorly). All have credit cards on account. Not sure about apple wallet as I'm an android user. But I'm not using google pay. just have the cc on the EA & CP accounts and tap the screen to start via the NFC communication. CP seems better at that than EA though.

There is a card for CP that I have in the glovebox. I think I used it just once to verify that it worked. I figure I'd keep there as a backup.

We are on our way back to Texas from Virginia and we had to make an unplanned restroom stop. Sure enough there was a Walmart with a CCS charger at the next exit.

My family went in to the restroom and I qucikly unboxed my CCS adaptor. First I tried to use the 350 KW charger that had two plugs, one was being used but it assumed I could use the other. I put the adaptor on my car and plugged it in but only saw options to stop charging the current vehicles car that was in progress. The man who was using the charger came out and tried to help me and then ended up ending his session. I moved to a 150kw stall and got the charger to recognize my car but when swiping my card nothing happened. I tried inserting and still couldn’t get it to work. Then it was going to download the app and by that time my wife and kids were out.

What a failed stop, should have just went on a few more miles to a Supercharger. Will try again but EA has a long way to go to catch up to Tesla’s user experience. That was terrible.

We are on our way back to Texas from Virginia and we had to make an unplanned restroom stop. Sure enough there was a Walmart with a CCS charger at the next exit.
What a failed stop, should have just went on a few more miles to a Supercharger. Will try again but EA has a long way to go to catch up to Tesla’s user experience. That was terrible.
Did a 2800 mile AZ to Cape Cod trip beginning of June. Stopped at 6 CCS1 EA sites. Four worked fine, one worked after fooling around with it and one totally failed. Still, good to have the CCS1 adapter.

Rich

Just got mine today, had to work with Harum to cancel my case order so that I could take delivery of the adaptor sooner since the case was out of stock. We are driving from VA to TX next week and wanted to make sure I had the adaptor for that drive. Case would be nice but not sure it’s worth paying $45 now since it is more expensive when bought separate from the adaptor.
Could you share who did you work with? I have sen email to [email protected] yesterday and I no acknowledgement or email response. concerned about this being shipped at all - Ordered last Thursday and not even an email saying its shipped. If the case is delaying it, I might as well cancel the case too. Thank you..

Could you share who did you work with? I have sen email to [email protected] yesterday and I no acknowledgement or email response. concerned about this being shipped at all - Ordered last Thursday and not even an email saying its shipped. If the case is delaying it, I might as well cancel the case too. Thank you..
I just went into live chat on the website and chatted with support. The chat retains your conversation history as I conversed with them over a few days because of the time difference and weekends.

Reactions: sids911
Well, just got to NJ from GA and I thought I would use it along the way if Tesla chargers were busy. None were but I checked EA coverage along the way and it is pretty terrible with many chargers unavailable meaning not working.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how did you check that they were broken? I've noticed the app is a little inconsistent about unavailable vs in-use.