Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My family went in to the restroom and I quickly unboxed my CCS adaptor. First I tried to use the 350 KW charger that had two plugs, one was being used but it assumed I could use the other.
I was wondering about why they have 2 cables on the same cabinet, both for CCS. I know some have 1 CCS and one Chademo, for example, but am not clear on why 2 of the same thing. Are they assuming that one cable may not work?!

I was wondering about why they have 2 cables on the same cabinet, both for CCS. I know some have 1 CCS and one Chademo, for example, but am not clear on why 2 of the same thing. Are they assuming that one cable may not work?!
It is a combination that one cable may fail so the other is backup, but also because the ports aren't always in the same place on cars so a cable on each side of the cabinet makes it more likely that a cable will reach and be able to be plugged in to your car.

Reactions: Daekwan and alexcue
It is a combination that one cable may fail so the other is backup, but also because the ports aren't always in the same place on cars so a cable on each side of the cabinet makes it more likely that a cable will reach and be able to be plugged in to your car.
Ah makes sense, since not everyone is, as TeslaBjorn says, 'Charge port on the left side which is the right side'....

Reactions: Daekwan
Wow I thought you can use both at the same time.
You are not alone, I thought the same thing. Last time I went to an EA it was like watching musical chairs, or musical chargers 🙃 On EA’s site they state the extra cable is for ease of connection but I’d hazard a guess it is to add redundancy and increase uptime

Maybe we should be regulating where the charge ports are located on the car. 🤔

You are not alone, I thought the same thing. Last time I went to an EA it was like watching musical chairs, or musical chargers 🙃 On EA’s site they state the extra cable is for ease of connection but I’d hazard a guess it is to add redundancy and increase uptime

Maybe we should be regulating where the charge ports are located on the car. 🤔
They couldn't do that with gas fillers with almost 150 years of experience. Some on the left, some on the right, others in the rear (maybe none of those anymore). I remember the old chargers had them on top of the right(? maybe left) fender. I think at least some of the corvettes are like that too. Someone had a filler up on the front fender but I don't remember who that was.

If you have a even relatively modern ICE, look at the dash. It probably has a picture of a pump with an arrow so you at least know which side the filler is on.

Then you have the plugins. I think the prius has the filler on the left and the plug-in on the right.

Reactions: Daekwan and jsight
They couldn't do that with gas fillers with almost 150 years of experience. Some on the left, some on the right, others in the rear (maybe none of those anymore). I remember the old chargers had them on top of the right(? maybe left) fender. I think at least some of the corvettes are like that too. Someone had a filler up on the front fender but I don't remember who that was.

If you have a even relatively modern ICE, look at the dash. It probably has a picture of a pump with an arrow so you at least know which side the filler is on.

Then you have the plugins. I think the prius has the filler on the left and the plug-in on the right.
The Porsche 911 and VW Beetle had them in front, the tank was up front. I'm awaiting for someone to put the charge port under the rear license plate!

Reactions: Daekwan
The Porsche 911 and VW Beetle had them in front, the tank was up front. I'm awaiting for someone to put the charge port under the rear license plate!
Yes, remember now when I ran in to a telephone pole in my '63 beetle I turned the spare tire and the gas tank in to a 'V'. Car totally derivable but the dang insurance company thought it was totaled anyway.

• Funny
Reactions: DanDi58
39002D15-F73C-4CA3-9E86-D214C0C1DA8D.jpeg

About to go cross country and got the adapter. In a few places it will save me having to reduce my speed and generally give me peace of mind. Went to EA by my house and out worked flawlessly the first time…. Didn’t bother with 350 as I was at 55% and this was just a test.

Rivian pulled in while I was there and it was really nice. Struck up conversation with the owner who had a few Teslas and had the adapter as well. He basically mirrored what people have said here, it’s great to have as backup but the CCS network is *sugar* next to SC and even though EA can be cheaper, he suggested sticking to SC on the trip and that X-country on CCS can still be dicey.

Reactions: cusetownusa