Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove back from Vegas to SLC yesterday and decided to try out the CCS adapter. There was an EA stop a couple blocks from our friend's house, so topped up there without issue on a 150kw line. First stop was in St George and EA throttled back the stations to 30-40kw for some reason and there is no note in the app so that really stunk, should have backtracked to the SC bit didn't realize it would stay so low for all of our lunch stop. Second stop was in Beaver. Some of the stations weren't working, but luckily I was the only one there when I arrived. While charging a Hyundai showed up then a little lightning had to wait... I suspect he was wondering why I don't go to my own chargers. Third/final stop was at a SC that was nearly full (2 of 6 available I think) so capped out at 70kw-ish.

The EA rates are better, especially with the monthly membership (will cancel since don't have any other road trips planned for a while), but feels like you are rolling the dice on if they'll be at full power or even working. Since the first two stops were fairly close to a SC, it wouldn't have been the end of the world, but I went to the SC for the last stop because it was a little ways to the next EA and didn't want to risk it (and the app said it was full).

Drove back from Vegas to SLC yesterday and decided to try out the CCS adapter. There was an EA stop a couple blocks from our friend's house, so topped up there without issue on a 150kw line. First stop was in St George and EA throttled back the stations to 30-40kw for some reason and there is no note in the app so that really stunk, should have backtracked to the SC bit didn't realize it would stay so low for all of our lunch stop. Second stop was in Beaver. Some of the stations weren't working, but luckily I was the only one there when I arrived. While charging a Hyundai showed up then a little lightning had to wait... I suspect he was wondering why I don't go to my own chargers. Third/final stop was at a SC that was nearly full (2 of 6 available I think) so capped out at 70kw-ish.

The EA rates are better, especially with the monthly membership (will cancel since don't have any other road trips planned for a while), but feels like you are rolling the dice on if they'll be at full power or even working. Since the first two stops were fairly close to a SC, it wouldn't have been the end of the world, but I went to the SC for the last stop because it was a little ways to the next EA and didn't want to risk it (and the app said it was full).
a Ford lightning ? how was it?!?

It’s funny everyone seems to focus on EA, but aren’t there at least 10 other DCFC networks out there? Aside from having to create as many accounts and download their apps, I doubt the cars nav system will play nice with all those networks as seamlessly as the Tesla SC network. I guess you can start out using ABRP or PlugShare to pre-plan a trip, but making changes on the fly is difficult at best.

Having said that I bought the CCS adapter because it’s another option and why not.

It’s funny everyone seems to focus on EA, but aren’t there at least 10 other DCFC networks out there? Aside from having to create as many accounts and download their apps, I doubt the cars nav system will play nice with all those networks as seamlessly as the Tesla SC network. I guess you can start out using ABRP or PlugShare to pre-plan a trip, but making changes on the fly is difficult at best.

Having said that I bought the CCS adapter because it’s another option and why not.
i've mapped out a couple trips where the CCS will either allow me to take a shorter route and/or there are free charging options.. otherwise i'm not going to go through the hassle of another DCFC for a few cents / kw difference.. i do hope they become more successful though because the SC cost per kwh is almost as ridiculous as gas prices these days

Aside from free public offerings, EA has the most potential to be a money saver, rather than just another source. 31 cents vs 58 is a big deal if it can be realized. Offpeak rates for SC in CA started as late as 4pm, now 11am. Power should be cheaper from 11-3, the peak solar generating hours for the state. In the summer time, that is our true off peak.

i've mapped out a couple trips where the CCS will either allow me to take a shorter route and/or there are free charging options.. otherwise i'm not going to go through the hassle of another DCFC for a few cents / kw difference.. i do hope they become more successful though because the SC cost per kwh is almost as ridiculous as gas prices these days
There are two main use cases for non-Tesla DCFC: convenience, and cost saving. For the former, if you're on a long trip without convenient SC locations along the way, having an option that doesn't require a long detour helps you get more time on the enjoyment or productivity. For the latter, if you don't have at-home charging and rely on outside sources for your daily charging needs, the rate difference between SC and other networks can be quite significant - to your point, peak SC rate is almost as high as the gasoline equivalent cost.

Outside California, the density of SC stations also drops significantly, so the convenience factor gets magnified.
Not really. as the other poster mentioned, the NE corridor has more dense SC network.:cool:

1657063952619.png

Reactions: Hiline
There is also a new one for all you south jersey shore people (mostly philly I guess). One opened up at the service stop on the ACE. I think about 2 months ago now. Will be great for me as I usually stop there anyway on the way to my sister's.

I encountered a CCS charger today in Ocean City Md. it was from EV-institute which is based out of Baltimore. Has anyone used their chargers?
I didn’t know what this plug connected to until I called the customer service number on the charger. The person who answered was very helpful and explained needing the “expensive” adapter to use the fast charger with my Tesla MYP. Fortunately, they also had 2 level 2 chargers in another part of the lot and these were free and worked fine with my standard adapter. This thread is helpful and I will check my car tomorrow (took delivery 1 month ago) to determine if it is CCS enabled, before I try To order the CCS adapter.