Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EVGo stations have built-in adapters. It even show you in your car, if you select the single lightning bolt option when navigating for charging, the EVGo stations with adapters will show up in there.

CCS stands for Combined Charging System, so the word “Combo” is probably comes from shortening “Combined”. The picture of the plug is helpful too, its the correct shape of the CCS1 plug.
ive never seen one of these in over 6 years of driving around my Tesla(s)... i admit i haven't looked very hard.. anyway to differentiate on plugshare which ones these are?

Hey, so I'm going in the opposite direction (NJ to GA) later this month.... moving to GA permanently (Cumming)! This will be my first real long trip in my Model Y LR so I'm looking for feedback on the best approach you recommend I map my route? ABRP app, EA app, the built-in Nav in the car, etc? Some combination of two? We are stopping halfway near Charlottesville, VA overnight and the next morning driving the rest of the way to Cumming. I just ordered a CCS1 adapter from that Harumio site; hopefully it arrives before 7/22 which is when we take off for Georgia.
abrp is pretty good but i also use www.evtripplanner.com it has a better interface imo but it is a little more optimistic as well.. i use the model s 85 w/ 19" tires for my long range model y and a 50 degree outside air temp that seems to match my model y long range awd pretty close

Reactions: Trip McNealy
Hey, so I'm going in the opposite direction (NJ to GA) later this month.... moving to GA permanently (Cumming)! This will be my first real long trip in my Model Y LR so I'm looking for feedback on the best approach you recommend I map my route? ABRP app, EA app, the built-in Nav in the car, etc? Some combination of two? We are stopping halfway near Charlottesville, VA overnight and the next morning driving the rest of the way to Cumming. I just ordered a CCS1 adapter from that Harumio site; hopefully it arrives before 7/22 which is when we take off for Georgia.
I let the car nav do the job but I prefer mountain route vs coast. Didn’t use my adapter bc Tesla superchargers weren’t busy this time.

Reactions: Trip McNealy
I used my new CCS adapter for the first time in Casa Grande, AZ coming back from Phoenix this weekend. I chose that spot because there's a supercharger a few miles away just off I10 so if I had problems I could just revert to my "default" location. This was an EA charger which seem to co-locate with Walmarts most often. I was able to easily use a 350 charger with a minimum of playing around with the app. It took me 19 minutes 17 seconds to charge from 11 to 59%, adding 37 kWh @ .43 cents per - $17.29 w/ tax. I like how EA sends you a detailed charging summary when you're done. All in all it was pretty easy and good practice in case I need/chose to use one on a trip - it was money well spent IMO. I'll be glad when there are more superchargers and CCS spots available!

Reactions: M0SA
I don't think there is money saving outside CA where the EA and SC prices are the same or very similar.
In Washington, it can still be over 10 cents cheaper per kwH during peak. For me tho, it's about convenience. In the Seattle area, there are lots of places where a SC is a 20 minute drive away, for what could be a 72kw urban charger, but there could be multiple EA chargers just down the street.

ive never seen one of these in over 6 years of driving around my Tesla(s)... i admit i haven't looked very hard.. anyway to differentiate on plugshare which ones these are?
In PlugShare, they show up when the "Tesla Fast" filter is selected. Then in the Networks filter, toggle all networks off, then turn EVgo on.

In the Tesla navigation, they show up when the "two lightning bolt" filter is enabled. (Same as urban Superchargers.)

Not in plugshare, but in EVGo’s own phone app it shows you which plugs the station has, and if its currently being used, either CCS1 or CHAD/Tesla (notice the / because those two are actually on the same outlet).

I use EVGo a lot because I have a ton of credits off a program that ended a few years ago.

FWIW, given the choice of using the CHAD or Tesla CCS1 off a 50kW charger, I use the CCS1 adapter, because it starts near 50kW (and stays there) but the CHAD adapter starts in the 30’s and slowly ramps up. Yeah those few minutes matter especially when charging is slower.

B753942E-ABE2-478C-9097-E1468D98BF9E.jpeg

I would just use the Tesla navi. You're going to be on Interstates all the way, and on the East Coast the coverage is fine along those roads. You can certainly do some pre-planning with ABRP, and adjust the criteria as needed, but for the actual drive just stick to the Tesla navi.

I just did this trip last year, the normal map will drive you through 81 south through SC then to Georgia. I found that if you routed through Chattanooga had less traffic into Atlanta. The ABRP app gives you good idea of the route, charging times etc, make sure to update the charging options to include the CCS adapter and it will show routes with a mix of charging types.

I just did this trip last year, the normal map will drive you through 81 south through SC then to Georgia. I found that if you routed through Chattanooga had less traffic into Atlanta. The ABRP app gives you good idea of the route, charging times etc, make sure to update the charging options to include the CCS adapter and it will show routes with a mix of charging types.
There's one other thing to watch for if you do go I81 to I77 through Charlotte. The superchargers between VA and Charlotte on that route are Salem, VA (V2 and often crowded), Wytheville (a detour), Rocky Mount (a detour), and then Mooresville. Rocky Mount is a bad enough detour that it probably makes sense to try to hit Salem for long enough to skip it.

There's one other thing to watch for if you do go I81 to I77 through Charlotte. The superchargers between VA and Charlotte on that route are Salem, VA (V2 and often crowded), Wytheville (a detour), Rocky Mount (a detour), and then Mooresville. Rocky Mount is a bad enough detour that it probably makes sense to try to hit Salem for long enough to skip it.

Thanks a bunch. I'm also going to have a 5x8' U-Haul trailer attached so no doubt my range loss will be making me stop frequently. I haven't tried alternate routes in ABRP but I'll take all the helpful hints into consideration!

Reactions: jsight
Thanks a bunch. I'm also going to have a 5x8' U-Haul trailer attached so no doubt my range loss will be making me stop frequently. I haven't tried alternate routes in ABRP but I'll take all the helpful hints into consideration!
Knoxville is always busy even with 2 supercharger locations close by. Unless you drive through there super early in the morning or super late at night.

Knoxville is always busy even with 2 supercharger locations close by. Unless you drive through there super early in the morning or super late at night.

So I played around with ABRP (free, not paid) last night and as an FYI here's my parameters and results from the app. Glad to take any suggestions and if anything is WAY off; again this is my first big trip! I am really hoping that CCS1 adapter from Harumio comes by next week otherwise I have to stick with Superchargers or anything J-adapter.

ABRP Settings:
-Tesla MY 2021 Long Range
-Departure SOC 100%
-Ref consumption 298 Wh/mi
-Charging stops: left it in the middle as 'Quickest Arrival'
-Types of chargers: Tesla SC, Tesla CCS, CCS, Level 2 (I'm honestly not sure which one is for using that CCS1 adapter)
-Battery: Dest arrival SOC 20% / Charger arrival 10% / Charger max 100% / Overhead 5 mins
-Speed max 60mph (to account for the U-Haul trailer) / Adjust speed On
-Vehicle: 5% degrade / 68F / Extra weight 1900lb (to account for the U-Haul trailer)

First Leg: Rockaway, NJ to Waynesboro, VA
Has me stopping to charge in this order: Sheetz (Carlisle, PA) [Electrify America] > Woodstock, VA (Supercharger) > arrive at dest

Second Leg: Waynesboro, VA to Cumming, GA
Has me stopping to charge in this order (these are all Tesla Superchargers): Lynchburg, VA > Archdale, NC > Charlotte, NC [Northlake Centre Parkway] > Fair Play, SC > arrive at dest

I have not checked my destination hotels for charging availability but to plan for worst I'll ignore ABRP's last stop % and charge to 100% for piece of mind.

Last edited:
You probably dont want to charge to 100 at the chargers or you will be spending 1 hour at the chargers. Max should be 80% maybe 85. Also good luck doing first long trip with trailer. I can tell you right away it will be pain in rear. Big time.
Oh definitely not, only the very last charger stop before I get to hotel if I (or the Tesla Navi) ultimately decide.

Aside from the limited MPH which will feel like I'm driving a Power Wheels I am really hoping the charger stops have stalls to accommodate trailered cars and/or are not super busy so I can take over some spots and not have to unhitch it! 😬

Reactions: WhiteWi and jsight
Oh definitely not, only the very last charger stop before I get to hotel if I (or the Tesla Navi) ultimately decide.

Aside from the limited MPH which will feel like I'm driving a Power Wheels I am really hoping the charger stops have stalls to accommodate trailered cars and/or are not super busy so I can take over some spots and not have to unhitch it! 😬
that weight is being treated as in the car not tow weight / drag.. instead, i would guess a crazy MPH headwind to make up for the trailer.. call it 40 mph headwind the entire trip.. that might be close to the trailer drag equivalent

I'd also see what happens if you don't leave home at 100SOC. Agree with the others not to charge to 100%.

I think Tesla CCS is the european one but it doesn't hurt as there aren't any in the US. I'd probably knock out the level2 and use plugshare if I got to a point where I thought that was important.

Temperature looks low. When are you going? It's getting close to 90 already here in central NJ. Don't see it cooling off in the near future or by going south. Don't know about that consumption vis-a-vis the trailer / weight parameters. Without any extras I usually use 3 mi/kw because of the high speeds. And it gives me a bit of buffer which occasionally is a good thing. Probably depends a bit on your comfort/anxiety index.

I'd also see what happens if you don't leave home at 100SOC. Agree with the others not to charge to 100%.
Yeah, I don't bother charging to 100%. For my trips, it doesn't make any difference whatsoever, as I'll still have to stop to charge, and most of the time, it will be at the exact same supercharger, since I like the ameneties and such at the one I usually go to... So for me, it actually makes more sense to charge to leave with a much lower SoC, becuase if I leave with 100% for example, I'll pass the one I go to, and won't quite have enough to go to the next good one, so I'll end up stopping at the same SC, but will have a much higher SoC so won't charge as fast... May as well have left home with 70-80%, and stop at the same SC, but charge faster. Granted, I could save a few pennies by charging extra at home.

While on the actual road trip, I usually only charge up to like 65% to hit the next charger... The only time I end up with > 80% is if a stop is taking longer than normal becuase we're eating, still in the restroom, etc. If I'm really trying to save time, I'll usually bring up the energy graph, and look at my arrival % vs how fast I'm charging, and may change my destination once the car starts to ramp down charging speed. But I'm usually not that anal, as I usually end up waiting on other family members to get back to the car.