Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that's what I was thinking. Start at an SOC that will get you to the first charge at the lowest level you're comfortable with.

I guess in a similar vein you can tailor your drive. ABRP will tell you to slow down to keep within your charge/arrival SOC and the gaps. If you have conservative settings like I do you can speed back up which will get you to the SC a little faster and maybe give you a bit better initial charge.

Got my Adaptor in time for Norcal to so cal trip this weekend. Seems we have a weird void of SC in mid cal on HWY 99.
My brother and I just roadtripped that way... I took the 5, he took the 99, not sure why... Anyways, he said he charged to 100% at the Merced SC, and arrived at the Bakersfield SC at 24%. I was being a cheapskate, and was stopping at primarily Walmarts/Safeways/etc when I could, lol. It was interesting, because on the phone (he left our hotel in NorCal earlier than I did), I told him not to waste time charging to 100%, and told him what my plan was, and told him where I'd charge if I were him (he didn't have a CCS adapter), but he apparently threw all that out the window, lol.

Last edited:
I guess in a similar vein you can tailor your drive. ABRP will tell you to slow down to keep within your charge/arrival SOC and the gaps. If you have conservative settings like I do you can speed back up which will get you to the SC a little faster and maybe give you a bit better initial charge.
This is why I have the energy graph up while I'm driving... It will show you the slope of your projected consumption and arrival SoC, as well as the slope of the Navigation's originally calculated consumption... So you can see how you are tracking... If you are trending too much consumption, it will be readily apparent, and you can adjust... For example, while I was driving thru California, I originally had a 20% buffer, but the energy graph said I was going to arrive with like 5% or something like that, but that was because I was trying to make up for lost time, and was driving much faster than I had been averaging for the previous legs of the road trip... I ended up just turning on cruise control and set it between +5 and +10... I ended up arriving at the next charger at 17% SoC

Reactions: Jeff N
So I played around with ABRP (free, not paid) last night and as an FYI here's my parameters and results from the app. Glad to take any suggestions and if anything is WAY off; again this is my first big trip! I am really hoping that CCS1 adapter from Harumio comes by next week otherwise I have to stick with Superchargers or anything J-adapter.

ABRP Settings:
-Tesla MY 2021 Long Range
-Departure SOC 100%
-Ref consumption 298 Wh/mi
-Charging stops: left it in the middle as 'Quickest Arrival'
-Types of chargers: Tesla SC, Tesla CCS, CCS, Level 2 (I'm honestly not sure which one is for using that CCS1 adapter)
-Battery: Dest arrival SOC 20% / Charger arrival 10% / Charger max 100% / Overhead 5 mins
-Speed max 60mph (to account for the U-Haul trailer) / Adjust speed On
-Vehicle: 5% degrade / 68F / Extra weight 1900lb (to account for the U-Haul trailer)

First Leg: Rockaway, NJ to Waynesboro, VA
Has me stopping to charge in this order: Sheetz (Carlisle, PA) [Electrify America] > Woodstock, VA (Supercharger) > arrive at dest

Second Leg: Waynesboro, VA to Cumming, GA
Has me stopping to charge in this order (these are all Tesla Superchargers): Lynchburg, VA > Archdale, NC > Charlotte, NC [Northlake Centre Parkway] > Fair Play, SC > arrive at dest

I have not checked my destination hotels for charging availability but to plan for worst I'll ignore ABRP's last stop % and charge to 100% for piece of mind.
Your wh/mi of 298 is way low for towing a trailer. I haven't towed anything with mine but I have to believe it will be north of 350wh/mi at a minimum.

Yeah, I don't bother charging to 100%. For my trips, it doesn't make any difference whatsoever, as I'll still have to stop to charge, and most of the time, it will be at the exact same supercharger, since I like the ameneties and such at the one I usually go to... So for me, it actually makes more sense to charge to leave with a much lower SoC, becuase if I leave with 100% for example, I'll pass the one I go to, and won't quite have enough to go to the next good one, so I'll end up stopping at the same SC, but will have a much higher SoC so won't charge as fast... May as well have left home with 70-80%, and stop at the same SC, but charge faster. Granted, I could save a few pennies by charging extra at home.

While on the actual road trip, I usually only charge up to like 65% to hit the next charger... The only time I end up with > 80% is if a stop is taking longer than normal becuase we're eating, still in the restroom, etc. If I'm really trying to save time, I'll usually bring up the energy graph, and look at my arrival % vs how fast I'm charging, and may change my destination once the car starts to ramp down charging speed. But I'm usually not that anal, as I usually end up waiting on other family members to get back to the car.

Good points. I will probably adopt similar strategy. And I did leave this detail out in my other replies, but the ABRP app was suggesting charging to 65-72% before the next stop.

Got mine today. Took one week. Freaking awesome!
You're really going to like free charging at most malls too! Volta Charging Introduces Free DC Fast Charging Service
I used the CCS adapter on Electrify America again last night and I don't know why other automotive manufacturers are having problems with the network and the experience. It's been flawless both times I've used it. I thought it would take a minute or two to communicate with the charger but that wasn't the case at all. It took about 10 seconds, and I was charging. Both chargers I used were 150kW chargers. There is a 350kW charger a bit further away that I really want to try.

I've seen a Rivian and a Bolt have issues getting a charge started and the two Teslas at this current location was charging away. Wouldn't it be ironic that a Tesla has better success at an EA charger than any other brand.

We are on our way back to Texas from Virginia and we had to make an unplanned restroom stop. Sure enough there was a Walmart with a CCS charger at the next exit.

My family went in to the restroom and I qucikly unboxed my CCS adaptor. First I tried to use the 350 KW charger that had two plugs, one was being used but it assumed I could use the other. I put the adaptor on my car and plugged it in but only saw options to stop charging the current vehicles car that was in progress. The man who was using the charger came out and tried to help me and then ended up ending his session. I moved to a 150kw stall and got the charger to recognize my car but when swiping my card nothing happened. I tried inserting and still couldn’t get it to work. Then it was going to download the app and by that time my wife and kids were out.

What a failed stop, should have just went on a few more miles to a Supercharger. Will try again but EA has a long way to go to catch up to Tesla’s user experience. That was terrible.
I've had great success with the app. Once the vehicle is hooked to a stall just use the slider on the app to initiate the charge.
Charged at a ChargePoint tonight, in Wellington, CO - it was fantastic! Cheap and fast! Thank you Tesla for the CCS adapter.

View attachment 826955

What the * kind of name is that. I love it.

ive never seen one of these in over 6 years of driving around my Tesla(s)... i admit i haven't looked very hard.. anyway to differentiate on plugshare which ones these are?

They are usually at Cracker Barrels around this way.

My brother and I just roadtripped that way... I took the 5, he took the 99, not sure why... Anyways, he said he charged to 100% at the Merced SC, and arrived at the Bakersfield SC at 24%. I was being a cheapskate, and was stopping at primarily Walmarts/Safeways/etc when I could, lol. It was interesting, because on the phone (he left our hotel in NorCal earlier than I did), I told him not to waste time charging to 100%, and told him what my plan was, and told him where I'd charge if I were him (he didn't have a CCS adapter), but he apparently threw all that out the window, lol.
I was hoping if I left at 100% I could make it to Tajon outlets, but that seems optimistic. Tesla route says to charge for 25 minutes in traver or Bakersfield.

This is why I have the energy graph up while I'm driving... It will show you the slope of your projected consumption and arrival SoC, as well as the slope of the Navigation's originally calculated consumption... So you can see how you are tracking... If you are trending too much consumption, it will be readily apparent, and you can adjust... For example, while I was driving thru California, I originally had a 20% buffer, but the energy graph said I was going to arrive with like 5% or something like that, but that was because I was trying to make up for lost time, and was driving much faster than I had been averaging for the previous legs of the road trip... I ended up just turning on cruise control and set it between +5 and +10... I ended up arriving at the next charger at 17% SoC

I would do the same thing and have the graph up more than the map, but in the newest software, the ending SOC is constantly displayed. That's a game changer in my book, because it's updated like the graph.

What software version are you on? I don't see where the ending SoC is displayed...

Scroll down and you'll see the updates in the last version.

But before you had to drag it to turn by turn to see it, now it's always there...

Reactions: gt2690b

Scroll down and you'll see the updates in the last version.

But before you had to drag it to turn by turn to see it, now it's always there...
I guess I'll have to wait for it to roll into one of the FSD Beta firmwares...

so I'll end up stopping at the same SC, but will have a much higher SoC so won't charge as fast

That makes no sense. If you are charging to the same target percentage, it will always take less time arriving at a higher SOC than a lower SOC. If you are charging from 70% to 80% it may be slow, but if you arrive at 50% you still need to do the 70% to 80% range at the same slow speed. It always saves the most time leaving home at 100%, even if the difference isn't huge.

That makes no sense. If you are charging to the same target percentage, it will always take less time arriving at a higher SOC than a lower SOC. If you are charging from 70% to 80% it may be slow, but if you arrive at 50% you still need to do the 70% to 80% range at the same slow speed. It always saves the most time leaving home at 100%, even if the difference isn't huge.
Yes it always saves time, but the time saved is so minimal, it's pointless. At least for the distance I travel for my first stop. I already worked it out earlier, I only save about 5 minutes by trying to charge an extra 20% at home. Also, for me, I live on a hill, so having no regen is a pain in the ass too.

When I charge to 100, I only need to top off to make the next decent SC, I won't have much time to do much by arriving with too high a SoC. If I arrived with a lower state of charge, in the time it takes to use the restroom grab a snack, etc I'd already make back the 20% I left on the table by not charging to 100% at home. That was my point.

Reactions: gt2690b