Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ouch 250 bucks...guess if ya travel alot it can pay off...wonder how many ppl going to try to steal these

Steal them from where?

I am not an expert about this, but...

The CCS1 adapter, like most/all accessories that plug into North American/Korean/Japanese Tesla cars, has a deep notch at the bottom that allows the car's charge port to lock the plug in place during a session (until the owner with his/her fob/key returns).

Yes, someone could, I suppose, smash an adapter out of the charge port with a hammer or something, but the adapter might not be worth stealing after such mistreatment.

So I venture to theorize that the adapter is usually (not always) safe from random theft due to being "locked" inside the charge port during an active session.

A different problem is having someone disconnect the CCS1 cable plug/handle from the other end of the adapter. This would be more about vandalism (petty disruption of charging) or about "stealing" the cable away from one car (before charging completes) in order to charge another nearby car.

The sprung "pin" at the top of the Tesla CCS1 adapter (that helps prevent the CCS1 handle latch from being raised) helps prevent that problem. But I've read that it can't always prevent a charge session from being halted.

Reactions: alexcue
aka means broken ports etc, people are morons.
Highly doubt that would be the case. They might also break the adapter which would make it useless. This is even assuming they know this is an adapter anyways and the value (and if they know so much, they would know it is locked to the car).

I haven't seen issues with the J1772 adapter stolen (or people attempting to steal) for example, even when they were regularly selling for $100 (now there are a lot of clones so they can't sell that high). It's just too hard to steal.

There have been issues with charging cables beings stolen (copper thieves), but this adapter doesn't have as much copper as a cable.

The CCS1 adapter, like most/all accessories that plug into North American/Korean/Japanese Tesla cars, has a deep notch at the bottom that allows the car's charge port to lock the plug in place during a session (until the owner with his/her fob/key returns).

Yes, someone could, I suppose, smash an adapter out of the charge port with a hammer or something, but the adapter might not be worth stealing after such mistreatment.

So I venture to theorize that the adapter is usually (not always) safe from random theft due to being "locked" inside the charge port during an active session.

A different problem is having someone disconnect the CCS1 cable plug/handle from the other end of the adapter. This would be more about vandalism (petty disruption of charging) or about "stealing" the cable away from one car (before charging completes) in order to charge another nearby car.

The sprung "pin" at the top of the Tesla CCS1 adapter (that helps prevent the CCS1 handle latch from being raised) helps prevent that problem. But I've read that it can't always prevent a charge session from being halted.
Most CCS chargers have very short, inflexible cables, often barely long enough to reach a car that's in the assigned spot, much less stretch to a different spot. So while I can see someone pulling the cable from the adapter out of spite, they often won't be able to use it for their car.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352

Why all these worries? Its a DC Fast Charger! Not J1772. You arent going very far or leaving the car too long.

Reactions: israndy
ouch 250 bucks...guess if ya travel alot it can pay off...wonder how many ppl going to try to steal these

definitely not necessary but the one I bought from Korea has come in handy for me a few times. Once over July 4th weekend when all public fast chargers were free in NY, and once on a road trip when we stopped to get breakfast and there just happened to be a CCS charger in a lot nearby...which saved us time by not needing to hit up a Supercharger after breakfast.

The public charger network is horrible in NY compared to the SC network, but its nice insurance to have to possibly save time, save money, or bail you out if needed when no SC are nearby.

Also, not worried about it getting stolen for reasons already mentioned.

It's available now for $250 on the US Tesla website. I don't think you can buy it unless you have a car that supports it, because when I logged in I got the message that my car required a retrofit and I was unable to add it to the shopping cart. Said I should check back in early 2023.

Was not going to buy it anyway because I have FUSC, along with an abundance of Superchargers near me, and on every cross county route I drive. BUT it would be a nice option to have in the trunk none-the-less.

I touched all 75 EA charge sites in the Bay Area yesterday and only about 5% didn't offer Complimentary Sessions, although some had only one of the chargers free and the others pay for, and the free ones were taken.

When I saw all the Randy check ins on plugshare, I suspect it was you 👍

There used to be free charging at a few EVgo stations when you charge with chargepoint app, but since then fixed. I couldn’t find free CCS other than Volta and Meta. Any tips you can share ;)

Last edited:
Good news, ordered yesterday and just got shipping info!

Notification_Center.png

Reactions: pvdoug
I touched all 75 EA charge sites in the Bay Area yesterday and only about 5% didn't offer Complimentary Sessions, although some had only one of the chargers free and the others pay for, and the free ones were taken.

When I saw all the Randy check ins on plugshare, I suspect it was you 👍

There used to be free charging at a few EVgo stations when you charge with chargepoint app, but since then fixed. I couldn’t find free CCS other than Volta and Meta. Any tips you can share ;)
Very nice of Randy to annotate it on plugshare so I know where to go in SF tomorrow to try out my new Tesla CCS1 adapter 🤣

IMG_8271_png_and_IMG_8272_png.png

Reactions: chris2222
Yeah, I went on a Roadtrip to Oregon yesterday where I discovered that the free period had ended. I could have found out in my neighborhood but I had already charged, I ended up in Willows CA before I figured they were not free anymore. Still, got a ton of charges out of them over the past two weeks.

As to other free charging you can find them in Plugshare. I filled up at Maxwell Southbound Rest Area on my way home. Just specify the filter to search for free and DCFC. I can get from the Mexico border to almost the Oregon border on free 50kW DCFCs. Once the Willows Rest Area opens I won't have to stop at the Yreka SpC to make it to Hornbrook Rest Area right at the Oregon border. I love that the CCS adapter charges at the full 62.5kW (up from the limited CHAdeMo adapter) at that charger, though most are still the 50kW units.

I just pre -ordered my CCS adapter from Lectron. I have used their charger on a previous EV I had. Here is a link for someone who wants to check it out:

I think CCS adapter for a EV is a no brainer for me, $65k car and $200 adapter to get access to EA charing network is well worth it. I switch from a Mach E to MY and can confirm the charging speeds are the same (in kw) for both Tesla and Electrify America and other networks. However, Tesla network is seemless, no startup issues etc. Where I regularly travel, I have found some good spots to charge on CCS and might continue to use them. Also, the grocery store that we regularly go to have CCS chargers, so I think the adapter will work great for me. I will report once I actually get the adapter. It was discounted down to $199 and I used a code to get additional discount - Welcome10 or charge5 to get 5 or 10% back.

This just showed up on Tesla site:

I checked few days ago and it was NOT there.

This just showed up on Tesla site:

I checked few days ago and it was NOT there.
Now you know and you are about to cancel your lectron adapter? :cool: