Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I went to the OTHER EA near me and it is still showing free. I wonder what was going on between SF and Oregon, when the first EA near me no longer showed Complimentary I assumed the whole thing was over.
I've wondered that too. Did an OTA update fail in such a way that someone has to visit each site and update it manually? What other kind of update takes more than 2 weeks to compete?

If anyone has an eligible car but does NOT want to buy the CCS adaptor, could you cc me and maybe let me Pay you for one on your account? I can’t get the Tesla site to allow me to purchase - says car not eligible, but I plan to update my car myself pretty soon and would rather have the adaptor in hand. LMK..

If you're gonna make it worth someones time why not just go to eBay where there is already someone ready to take your order
Isnt that sort of what a community is for? Why have both parties pay eBay a combination of 14% fees and then additional sales taxes (on top of what I’m sure an eBay seller has already paid) and then another shipping charge shipping just for this when there might be a community member willing to help out another community member?

Isnt that sort of what a community is for? Why have both parties pay eBay a combination of 14% fees and then additional sales taxes (on top of what I’m sure an eBay seller has already paid) and then another shipping charge shipping just for this when there might be a community member willing to help out another community member?
ask a neighbor? can't walk down the street in palo alto w/o tripping over a tesla :)

If anyone has an eligible car but does NOT want to buy the CCS adaptor, could you cc me and maybe let me Pay you for one on your account? I can’t get the Tesla site to allow me to purchase - says car not eligible, but I plan to update my car myself pretty soon and would rather have the adaptor in hand. LMK..

Do the upgrade first. The Tesla mothership somehow knows it's been done. Then you should be able to order the adapter.

I don't think it matters whether the buyer ordered one or not. I ordered one and just checked. It allows me to order another.

The adapter works great

Interesting note: I clicked the button on the CCS cable to stop charging and disconnect the cable(which worked) but the screen says not to do that.

2E8B2B81-A839-41B7-B385-6EAD10FA855C.jpeg

27622EFF-2662-42CA-BD0B-5A12D694D278.jpeg

Reactions: Art84 and jsight
Yeah, it's different in that way from the J1772 and CHAdeMO adapter.

Can someone explain why are the EA chargers free? And is it only a California / west coast thing ?

I don't think anyone knows. I think barely anyone knew that it was even happening. I saw a few posts on TMC but it was really the Chevy Bolt site that was documenting it. There was a message on the screens for the chargers originally that said there was a system upgrade going on starting on the 7th, but gave no notice of free charging and no mention of when the update would be finished, now it just says Complimentary Session if the charger has free charging.

Trying to figure out what is going on by having people post to this thread:

Electrify America Complementary Session Check-in

It appears to be nation wide from YouTube videos I have seen. But I tried to do a road trip last week and kept hitting chargers that were not free and gave up. Even when I got home my local charger that had been free was not. But the next day it was again. C R A Z Y

Reactions: Mitchellstarc
The adapter works great

Interesting note: I clicked the button on the CCS cable to stop charging and disconnect the cable(which worked) but the screen says not to do that...

Could that be to prevent any possibility of any "arcing" problem? Maybe Tesla wants to be sure that charging has definitely stopped and no electricity is still flowing? (In other words, maybe Tesla doesn't fully trust third-party CCS1 charging stations?)

Reactions: jsight
Could that be to prevent any possibility of any "arcing" problem? Maybe Tesla wants to be sure that charging has definitely stopped and no electricity is still flowing? (In other words, maybe Tesla doesn't fully trust third-party CCS1 charging stations?)
When people press the button it is more likely they just immediately yank the cord given that is the convenient thing to do. When they use the touch screen or app, they would typically wait for confirmation the session has ended.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
I have been following this thread for quite some time. Can someone explain why are the EA chargers free? And is it only a California / west coast thing ? Thanks !
I had a Mach E for year and a half before I got the Tesla. EA is normally free on most major holidays and when they have issues at a locations. I got free juice from EA chargers all the time.
If you remember the history of Electrify America it was funded by VW as a punishment for Dieselgate scandal. There are various federal incentives they have used and they get some grants etc too to promote electrification of transportation.

Reactions: Mitchellstarc
I had a Mach E for year and a half before I got the Tesla. EA is normally free on most major holidays and when they have issues at a locations. I got free juice from EA chargers all the time.
They haven't been doing that as much lately here. It seems like this latest wave of free charging is just a glitch. That last couple of holidays haven't had free charging in this area.