Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having just ordered a 2023 model S. I am curious as to which adapters I will need to acquire to charge at non Tesla stations. CCS?? I have ordered the wall connector for my home location and the mobile connecter for travel. I also ordered a NEMA 14-30 adapter to connect my mobile charger to an existing outlet in one of my homes. Can anyone recommend what else I may need. Thanks

It comes with the j1772 adapter (I think) that should work at most public level 2 stations. CCS might be nice, that would let you use EA (and other) fast DC stations.

I have an older S that isn’t currently capable of CCS, but I don’t feel like I need it for my use.

14-50 is most common at RV parks. But 14-30 works at most dryer outlets.

I just got my $250 CCS adapter in the mail from Tesla. That's the one you need.

You can also find aftermarket ones on Amazon and eBay for a $100 less, but I didn't want to mess around with potential incompatibility issues noted in some of the reviews since this adapter is something I will only use in a pinch, so I need it to work every time I use it.

I recommend checking out PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge for the areas you intend to drive to see what's available. More than likely the Tesla Supercharger network will have you covered, even in Idaho.

But judging by your offering of information that you have multiple homes and recently purchased a brand new Model S I suspect cost isn't a problem. In that event I'd load up on all the adapters and not worry about it anymore.

Having just ordered a 2023 model S. I am curious as to which adapters I will need to acquire to charge at non Tesla stations. CCS?? I have ordered the wall connector for my home location and the mobile connecter for travel. I also ordered a NEMA 14-30 adapter to connect my mobile charger to an existing outlet in one of my homes. Can anyone recommend what else I may need. Thanks
Thanks for your replies. Traveling through central Nevada (Ely) it looks like I may need one.

I just got my $250 CCS adapter in the mail from Tesla. That's the one you need.

You can also find aftermarket ones on Amazon and eBay for a $100 less, but I didn't want to mess around with potential incompatibility issues noted in some of the reviews since this adapter is something I will only use in a pinch, so I need it to work every time I use it.
I bought one from Amazon for my Model Y, at first it didn't work but read somewhere on this site only to reboot Tesla once and sure that fixed it. Charged at Electrify station successfully however it's expensive 49cents per minute. Recently took road trip to Oklahoma City and there is one charger and very busy, in fact Tesla had portable charge stations there.