Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adaptor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wait until Tesla Semi comes. I read somewhere they predict 1MW chargers for 400mi range in 20mins. I can’t imagine how big the cable will have to be to minimise losses.
My understanding is that Supercharger V3 and Tesla Semi MegaCharger are basically the same thing. The difference is that all 4 pairs of cables go to the Semi's charge port while the 4 pairs of V3 cables go to 4 separate cars.

Reactions: ringi
Hi, I bought the retrofit last friday. The tesla technician told me he tested the charge on the supercharger using the ccs adapter. I tried to charge on 2 different public CCS chargers, both failed :-(
The car show voltage and amps (so it commicates with the charger), then displays an error charging with ccs.

Hi, I bought the retrofit last friday. The tesla technician told me he tested the charge on the supercharger using the ccs adapter. I tried to charge on 2 different public CCS chargers, both failed :-(
The car show voltage and amps (so it commicates with the charger), then displays an error charging with ccs.
We’re they Ecotricity by any chance?

I've had zero success with those on my Model 3 CCS.

Reactions: ACarneiro
I did a road trip in Scotland back in October and none of the CCS charging stations worked with the CCS adaptor :-( Except one in one of the bigger cities which was a very new charging machine from the same network (I forget the name but that's basically the only one you get in Scotland) so I assume it has to do with that.

I did a road trip in Scotland back in October and none of the CCS charging stations worked with the CCS adaptor :-( Except one in one of the bigger cities which was a very new charging machine from the same network (I forget the name but that's basically the only one you get in Scotland) so I assume it has to do with that.

Just got CCS adaptor for my Model S today..Doing a Scotland trip in February..Hmmmmm.

Can someone explain what the CCS charger is for the benefit of my ignorance please? Is it a newer public charging format giving faster charge rates? Or are some superchargers using it? If so do they also have the older (type 2) socket? I ask because I am considering a 2014 MS that would need an upgrade to use CCS....would upgrading be worthwhile for either UK or European driving? thanks

@markharro CCS is the new standard for rapid charging, even Tesla are now installing Superchargers with only CCS ports.

Charging rates are the same for older cars as normal Superchargers plugs, but with a CCS adaptor you can also use other Rapidchargers if you are desperate for a charge.

Be thankful Tesla offer a CCS adapter, if for example you have a Nissan Leaf with a CHADEMO adapter your car in effect woudlnt be able to use any of the new CCS chargers been installed, the only way fowards would be to swap cars!

Depending on how long you aim to keep the car a CCS Adaptor I would have thought would be a no brainer option. I orderd it for our X the day Tesla made it available, I have only tried it once on an Ecotricity pump and it worked!! I hope I rarely have to use it, but its a great option to have.

Reactions: ringi
Think of the CCS adapter as the "holiday and pub adapter" as an example many towns in the Lake District now have 50kw CCS chargers along with a growing number of pubs. These will give you about 40kw of charge in one hour. Hence no real comparison to a supercharger for moterway driving, but can save you having to drive to a supercharger if you are already near a CCS charger. The time saved by not driving to the supercharger can be used to eat a meal at the pub, or have a nice cream tea near the CCS charger while on holiday.