Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adaptor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Asking for a CCS adaptor for my S I got the following message which may be old news but I though I'd better pass it on:

"Regarding the CCS adaptor, only Models S and X produced after 1st May 2019 have the technical capability to charge at CCS Combo 2. So you vehicle would require a retrofit in over to use the adaptor, this would cost £425.00 including the cost of a CCS Combo 2 adaptor"

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pjuk
That bit is old news, but what would be new is if they actually have parts for the work now...

A few people have tried to schedule the job to be done but so far I've not seen anyone report that it was completed, mostly they cancel a day or so before...

I recall the adapter was going to priced at around £200 making the retrofit a further £225. I’m not sure what this entails but it’s probably some rewiring making the whole cost reasonable if you will be using CCS frequently.

Does anyone know if the CCS<->Type2 adapter that I saw in a recently posted video would also support the Tesla Chademo adapter that I bought with my car?

I'm pretty sure that there will. still be some parts of the UK where having a Chademo as a backup might prove useful.

Or is CCS pretty much ubiquitous? (I've never really bothered to notice on public chargers as I reach for the Chademo...)

I'm pretty sure that there will. still be some parts of the UK where having a Chademo as a backup might prove useful.

Or is CCS pretty much ubiquitous? (I've never really bothered to notice on public chargers as I reach for the Chademo...)

We are in a transition phase. Almost every location in the UK that has CHAdeMO also has CCS, however: some sites have for example 2x CHAdeMO and only 1x CCS; also, many of the CCS don't work properly. The DBT equipment in particular (very popular because it was cheap and also early into the market) is based on an original CHAdeMO-only design from Nissan, which has been bodged to have a CCS output as well, and they have shown to have severe problems with both compatibility and reliability. So until recently a car with CHAdeMO was much better off than one with CCS.

However, most new deployments are with better equipment, and we are beginning to see CCS-only locations - notably Ionity, with sites that have 4 or more units, CCS-only, and much higher power (comparable to Supercharger). So in another year or two CCS cars will be much better off than CHAdeMO ones; a few more years after that and CHAdeMO-only cars may become a liability if old dual-head equipment gets replaced with CCS-only.

Of course the ideal would be a car that supports both, and there's no major reason why Tesla shouldn't support both on the Model S while it retains the type2 socket. It is conceivable that the CCS-enabling upgrade takes away CHAdeMO capability, though I wouldn't expect it to - would be useful if anybody with a CCS-capable Model S can confirm whether it still accepts the CHAdeMO adapter.

Model 3 (EU version with native CCS) on the other hand is unlikely to ever support the old CHAdeMO adapter because the DC connection is on different pins (and it would have cost them expensive extra parts in the car to support it, which is why they upgraded all the supercharger stalls to two cables rather than fitting dual capability in the car). They could in theory make a dedicated CHAdeMO adapter (essentially, today's adapter with a different plug at the car end), but there's little motivation for them to do so and I would be very surprised if it ever happens. Model 3 in the US (with the proprietary chargeport) could support the existing CHAdeMO adapters, though it has taken so long that it may now never happen.

If a future bodywork refresh of the EU Model S gives it native CCS like the Model 3, then it's likely to also lose the support for the existing CHAdeMO adapter - though by the time it happens that will not be a great loss.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
I'm pretty sure that there will. still be some parts of the UK where having a Chademo as a backup might prove useful

I have very rarely used my CHAdeMO adaptor, but every site that i have done also had a CCS cable (notwithstanding @arg comments about compatibility)

Some instances of CHAdeMO incompatibility - Tesla update the firmware on CHAdeMO adaptor (if it is in the car at service) so clearly they are making improvements time-to-time

With either CHAdeMO or CCS-adaptor I would still drive 15 minutes out of my way to use a Supercharger site ...

... except perhaps if the alternative was Ionity en route with potential to charge faster, even, than Supercharger :)

3rd party sites are often occupied [few stalls] / broken / hassle to initiate a charge (could easily use up the 15 minutes that a detour to Supercharger took)

Well the CCS adaptor upgrade took place yesterday without trouble. I wonder if I will use it more than the CHAdeMO which until now has been not at all. Does anyone know if there is any speed difference in charging at Superchargers between the CCS and Type 2 sockets.

Well the CCS adaptor upgrade took place yesterday without trouble. I wonder if I will use it more than the CHAdeMO which until now has been not at all. Does anyone know if there is any speed difference in charging at Superchargers between the CCS and Type 2 sockets.
No noticeable speed difference on a 2019 MX and was hovering around 120kW for 20 mins before tapering off. This was on a relatively cold battery mind you (had only driven 50mi and wanted to top up for the weekend). Maybe when V3 rolls out you might get the full 150kW on the newer cars. A nice addition to the charging paraphernalia but regular SC is plenty fast for me.

Reactions: MrBadger
Some of the charge rates are getting a bit silly, probably driven by my pet hate, the marketing departments.

It wont be long before these things will charge so fast that you will have to run back from the loo's to avoid idling charges.

If they do get that fast though, then we could start seeing 500kW+ chargers in city petrol stations as opposed to just on the motorway.

No noticeable speed difference on a 2019 MX and was hovering around 120kW for 20 mins before tapering off. This was on a relatively cold battery mind you (had only driven 50mi and wanted to top up for the weekend). Maybe when V3 rolls out you might get the full 150kW on the newer cars. A nice addition to the charging paraphernalia but regular SC is plenty fast for me.

Two supercharging sessions for me today, one on type 2, one on CCS. No noticeable difference in charge speeds (same as you got) but according to car screen i incurred a £12 cost on the CCS session, which seems odd given I've 6 months free supercharging. Pretty sure cost was showing as zero on previous sessions.

Where in my online account do I find if I owe money for charging?

Two supercharging sessions for me today, one on type 2, one on CCS. No noticeable difference in charge speeds (same as you got) but according to car screen i incurred a £12 cost on the CCS session, which seems odd given I've 6 months free supercharging. Pretty sure cost was showing as zero on previous sessions.

Where in my online account do I find if I owe money for charging?

Looking at Teslafi, I note that my type 2 charging sessions were 94.2% efficient, while my CCS one was 98.1% efficient. A third of the losses. I did notice slightly higher "miles per hour" at the time but figured it was in the noise. Could the newer CCS chargers be more efficient?