Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS and Chademo charging at local walmart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now CHADEMO is not really competition for Superchargers,<SNIP> but more of a backup L3 solution for bridging the few gaps left. <SNIP> I cannot imagine Tesla making the switch willingly.

Too bad someone hasn't fired up the Skunk Works and create something. Not that easy, and a limited market, tho.

Guess I am gonna have to bite the bullet and trade up to a bigger battery equipped Model 3.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
Too bad someone hasn't fired up the Skunk Works and create something. Not that easy, and a limited market, tho.

Guess I am gonna have to bite the bullet and trade up to a bigger battery equipped Model 3.
The Korean owners club apparently has a project cooking (they use the same CCS1 plug there, I guess), but haven't posted an update since late August. At that time, they were showing a demo unit getting 77 kW:
Ccs1(dc combo) test finish

You'd think if an owner's club could bodge something together then Tesla themselves could, but...well, that again gets a little tinfoil hat.

• Informative
Reactions: AdamMacDon
CHAdeMO Is nice when you don’t have a super charge station near by or the super charge station is often full... that’s becoming a issue. There are a lot of them and You can get 150-200 miles per hour charge on Charge Point DC fast network with ChargePoint. Also, if you have a rebuilt title Tesla...CHAdeMO is your only option for fast charging as Tesla won’t let rebuilt titleTesla’s use their super charge network.

CHAdeMO Is nice when you don’t have a super charge station near by or the super charge station is often full... that’s becoming a issue. There are a lot of them and You can get 150-200 miles per hour charge on Charge Point DC fast network with ChargePoint. Also, if you have a rebuilt title Tesla...CHAdeMO is your only option for fast charging as Tesla won’t let rebuilt titleTesla’s use their super charge network.
That isn't exactly a fast charge though. Could you imagine taking a road trip and stopping every 150 miles for an hour? I agree with the supercharger filling up though. Road trips in Tesla are typically based on a single supercharger location. When I took the kids home from camp, the one we stopped at was nearly full. Aside from the issue of possibly waiting for a stall, you also have the issue of getting a stall that is completely unused which I got lucky and found the last one.

That isn't exactly a fast charge though. Could you imagine taking a road trip and stopping every 150 miles for an hour? I agree with the supercharger filling up though. Road trips in Tesla are typically based on a single supercharger location. When I took the kids home from camp, the one we stopped at was nearly full. Aside from the issue of possibly waiting for a stall, you also have the issue of getting a stall that is completely unused which I got lucky and found the last one.

This is reality for Teslas outside of USA and middle europe. 43kw max. I used to routinely drive 1100km (700ish miles) in a day just with 43kw charging. Tbh I still do but we now have a third party 200kw charger 1/3 of the way which did knock off 45min travel time.

Last edited:
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I wouldn't own a tesla if that was the case, just being honest :)

mrFyjO.jpg

[QUOTE="Candleflame, post: 5141259, member: 33391"I wouldn't own a tesla if that was the case, just being honest[/QUOTE]

Actually, I can understand your sentiment. Suitability of purpose. I'm really grieved that the Supercharger concept isn't universally available... For now, at least. If I couldn't recharge in 20 mins or so (it is usually less) on my trips, I wouldn't have taken the plunge. But I'm really glad I did.

Just a heads up, from what I have seen Tesla disables ALL DC fast charging when they blacklist a rebuilt car. So don't buy a rebuild if you think you can get around it with a third party station.

As long as you don't update the software onboard, how can Tesla prevent you from using the chademo connector and 3rd party DC charging?

Be sure you have removed/damaged the cell card so its not communicating.
If you get the car in time to remove or destroy the sim card, then sure you can prevent them from "flipping the switch" remotely. However, given what I have heard many wrecked cars in the yard have already had this procedure done. Once it happens, you need a skilled software engineer like Green to hack the DC charging back on. This is also in violation of Tesla's terms, so if doing things this way be sure to keep it quiet. Also, in my opinion, losing the LTE module is losing part of the Tesla experience, I quite enjoy the detailed navigation and streaming music, and would hate to be stuck without it.

The local walmart in Florida just installed chargers with many plugs for ccs and one plug for chademo. I'm dumbfounded as I'm guessing 90 percent of EV's are Tesla. Where I live Tesla are very common so why would you install chargers that no one but a small percentage of users can use? From what I can tell there doesn't even seem to be CCS adapters available, but regardless there are pleny of J1772 chargers around that I do't have to buy an adapter.
Sounds like an Electrify America Station. They had the same configuration at a Sheetz station I visited last weekend. There is an EVGo station near a restauraunt we like...I used to have to use their level 2 charger, but they had several Chademo chargers, and the last time we went, they had put in one Tesla Supercharger (apparently that's a new strategy for EVGo - adding Tesla Superchargers to their locations).

That's Tesla's decision and no-one elses. As others in this thread have mentioned, they've opted to support industry standards in other regions, but not in North America. By the same logic someone could look at a Tesla supercharger and say "why would you install chargers that no one but one brand of car can use?"

The other thing is only Tesla installs superchargers. If some other company is building it, they can ask Tesla to install a supercharger but if they say no then that's it.
By the same logic someone could look at a Tesla supercharger and say "why would you install chargers that no one but one brand of car can use?" - What a great point! Especially since Tesla could make money charging all those other EVs. I think maybe Tesla was betting that they could set the standard. Sooner or later (if the future of EVs is as bright as it seems at this moment), there will probably be a standard--maybe national or international.
Unless this innovation follows a different path than that of other innovations in the last 150-200 years, that standard will be what makes it possible for EVs to replace fossil-fuel-powered vehicles for good. Tesla and Supercharging made some of the recent growth possible, with ranges and recharging speeds that come closer to fuel power. When you could only go 40 miles and had to charge overnight, EVs were just a curiosity. Once you could go 3 or 400 miles and recharge in half an hour, an EV became a viable alternative. There are still trade-offs, but I will gladly take the small hit in re-charge time and range to have the acceleration, speed, quiet and fun driving of my Tesla.

Reactions: drdumont
Sounds like an Electrify America Station. They had the same configuration at a Sheetz station I visited last weekend. There is an EVGo station near a restauraunt we like...I used to have to use their level 2 charger, but they had several Chademo chargers, and the last time we went, they had put in one Tesla Supercharger (apparently that's a new strategy for EVGo - adding Tesla Superchargers to their locations).
A true Supercharger? Mayhap one of the new prefabbed 4 bangers?
Or is it a Level II charger (up to about 30 mile per hour charging rate)? - I.E., 1'x8" device or a big beautiful red and white Supercharging station?