Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS - buy now or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It depends on where you live, some of the old V2 Superchargers are getting pretty bad... this last trip (6/28 and 6/30) I had to move stations three times, once because the pins were bent on the connector and I couldn't even attempt a charge, twice because I was getting ridiculously slow charging (no, I was not sharing a cabinet)... the last few times I have used EA, all 4 chargers were up and running. The problem is, if an EA charger goes down it takes 1/4 of the station capacity where if a V2 supercharger cabinet is wonky it will take 1/5th of the station capacity (2 out of 10), so a problem at a supercharger station is less of a hassle unless the station is swamped with users.

Is there a number to call to report jacked up Superchargers? I know that there is for messed up EA chargers. I try to leave feedback on PlugShare when I have an issue with either.

Keith
I believe you need to call Roadside Assistance. At least, that's the number that is posted on an individual SC page.

You could wait for who knows how long before it becomes available here or Tesla could easily shut of the supply chain from Korea and you possibly would have no choice than to wait for the American version which may be several years or never. Nobody can predict what Tesla will do but I think we can all agree there is a reason it is not being sold here right now and this reason needs to be settled before it will be locally available.

Right now CCS charging plugs out number super chargers in North America they are being built at an alarming rate in comparison to SC stations. I do know where I am located SC are far and few between, probably 10 times more CCS units around if not more in comparison.
1656857949984.png
1656858006854.png

Less CCS plugs. More stations though. Average of 2 plugs per station compared to 10 for Tesla. Much more likely for ccs to be in use or out of order.

Less CCS plugs. More stations though. Average of 2 plugs per station compared to 10 for Tesla. Much more likely for ccs to be in use or out of order.
That's good to know, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

There are just a lot of places that are beyond the reach of Superchargers. If you never leave the interstates, it's not much of a problem. If you want to explore the rest of the country, however, SCs are inadequate at this point. It's better to have one CCS DC fast charger plug than no TSCs for hundreds of miles.

I love the supercharger experience. I wish they were everywhere.

I went ahead and purchased from Korea just to have it just in case. Never needed it before but have a few road trips coming up and want to "be ready". Go ahead and buy.

Better question should they choose to sell in the US does it acknowledge that Tesla's charging network is not sufficient to meet everyday charging needs. Not sure they will officially sell for sometime till Tesla adds CCS to supercharger network. Again just speculation on my part.

Where are people using these that there aren't 10x the number of superchargers available?
If you read through the thread, you'll see that most of use aren't buying it to use in lieu of SC's, it's more for back-up/just in case. Also, some folks have indicated that some EA stations may be less per kWh than a nearby SC, so they may choose to save some money that way.

Where are people using these that there aren't 10x the number of superchargers available?
Memphis TN. That supercharger is an old run down V2 with 8 stalls that is often at or near full capacity... or you can drive 10 min away to an under utilized EA station and get faster charging than you get on V2. On a recent trip I had a charging stop in Memphis, the V2 was full, so even if there was no line waiting it would only charge at 70 KW or so... drove on over to the 350 KW EA and charged at 170 KW.

Keith

If you read through the thread, you'll see that most of use aren't buying it to use in lieu of SC's, it's more for back-up/just in case. Also, some folks have indicated that some EA stations may be less per kWh than a nearby SC, so they may choose to save some money that way.
If savings is $0.05 or less per kWh, that’s 6,000kwh+ to recoup your investment. You probably need to solely use non-SC for the purchase to make sense financially. As a backup or for areas with sparse SC it might make sense so you arent stranded or if your time is really valuable.

Exactly. Also, some dcfc stations are provided for free by utility companies.
Really? I’ve seen free L2 but never L3 DCFC for free. At $12k+ per stall (Tesla cost, EA/others are higher) plus electricity cost, that’s a lot of money with no return to invest to incentivize EV adoption.

Took a trip last week in MI that shaved 25 minutes and over 30 miles off my trip vs the route I’d have to take for a SuperCharger. There were 2 chargepoint DCFC station I could use. I mostly got it as a backup and for situations exactly like that, just more options.

Ah yeah. I can see that. I just haven't seen them really anywhere. Haven't looked super hard for obvious reasons lol.

Are there some in the UP? I want to go to Houghton but doesn't seem feasible. So I could see it in a situation like that.

Ah yeah. I can see that. I just haven't seen them really anywhere. Haven't looked super hard for obvious reasons lol.

Are there some in the UP? I want to go to Houghton but doesn't seem feasible. So I could see it in a situation like that.
Yeah they’re hidden so if you’re not looking you generally won’t see them. Like superchargers they’re on the side of big box stores, strip malls, behind gas stations, etc. I really wish they’d put one in between Mackinaw and Escanaba (which both have SCs), there are a couple planned but nothing this year. For me going to Port Austin, I could take a straight shot up m53 vs having to take 75 to Bay City and then up the side of the thumb.

EDIT: should note I’m rolling with Thule Roof box and 4 bikes on the back, pretty well loaded down. I’m getting around 430wh/mi

Reactions: tm3dlr
If savings is $0.05 or less per kWh, that’s 6,000kwh+ to recoup your investment. You probably need to solely use non-SC for the purchase to make sense financially. As a backup or for areas with sparse SC it might make sense so you arent stranded or if your time is really valuable.

It seems that time based supercharging is significantly more expensive than electrify America, and that's before the EA pass plus.

I just drove 2400 miles across i-80, and used electrify America a half dozen times where it made sense to do so.

20220703_235241.jpg
Screenshot_20220703-235458_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220704-000403_Chrome.jpg

So. Crunching the numbers here, I charged at +100kw for 11 minutes, 50-99kw for 9 minutes.

Using EA Pass Plus, you pay a flat fee based on the highest charge rate (in this case 32c/minute, but with the pass plus 25% discount, so ultimately 24c/minute.)

For EA+ 20 minutes total, 24c/min + tax (7.25%) worked out to $5.15 for 36 kwh of energy ≈ 14.3c/kwh

This same charging session at the tesla super would cost
Tier 3 - 11 mins @ 69c/min = 7.59
Tier 2 - 09 mins @ 41c/min = 3.69
Subtotal $11.28 + 7.25% local tax, $0.81
Grand total $12.09, 36kwh = 33.5c/kwh

TLDR - Tesla supercharging costs 2.25 times as much as EA for the same electricity. (Lincoln, NE)

Saved $7 at EA.

It seems that time based supercharging is significantly more expensive than electrify America, and that's before the EA pass plus.

I just drove 2400 miles across i-80, and used electrify America a half dozen times where it made sense to do so.

View attachment 824565View attachment 824567

View attachment 824570
So. Crunching the numbers here, I charged at +100kw for 11 minutes, 50-99kw for 9 minutes.

Using EA Pass Plus, you pay a flat fee based on the highest charge rate (in this case 32c/minute, but with the pass plus 25% discount, so ultimately 24c/minute.)

For EA+ 20 minutes total, 24c/min + tax (7.25%) worked out to $5.15 for 36 kwh of energy ≈ 14.3c/kwh

This same charging session at the tesla super would cost
Tier 3 - 11 mins @ 69c/min = 7.59
Tier 2 - 09 mins @ 41c/min = 3.69
Subtotal $11.28 + 7.25% local tax, $0.81
Grand total $12.09, 36kwh = 33.5c/kwh

TLDR - Tesla supercharging costs 2.25 times as much as EA for the same electricity. (Lincoln, NE)

Saved $7 at EA.

This EA cost per kWh is incredibly cheap by any standard.

seams expensive to me. Home rates in ohio are $.08 per KWH and SC rates are $.21 per KWH.
Not as big a spread here in central Jersey but yeah SC rates make you want to do all charging at home.

Here in central NJ, my PSE&G rates (tiered) vary between about 17.5 - 19.5 / kWH. The only SC charging I have done locally when I just tried to try out charging (to make sure it all worked and I knew what I was doing) was .31/ kWH. My most recent in south NJ was .35 / kWH. There are a couple L2 stations near me at Duke Farms (old Doris Duke estate now public park etc) that are only .16 / kWh. Always full

View attachment 824305View attachment 824307
Yep, more SC plugs but 4 times less places to stop and charge while on way to a destination. No point in counting 20 plugs at one station as this does not add an additional location to charge from. I make it a habit of looking at the CCS stations we pass on our way to the cottage every weekend. Can see 4 stations on the way there from the highway, have so far only seen a single car at one of them over the last five weekend trips both there and back.

Last time (last year) I was at a SC on this same trip which is several miles off the main highway by the way, I took the last available spot mainly because they are so far and few between on my route. They have now installed several CCS units both at the cottage and all those places I just mentioned on route however no SC in sight or in progress. The CCS adapter is a godsend for sure as I now have almost too many choices of where to charge. CCS is destined to out pace the SC rather quickly if you ask me as this is what is being installed at an alarming rate everywhere I look and I may add is what towns/provinces are installing with government grants. SCs are on the map as future projects however the one that would have helped me has been on the map as coming soon for 8 years now and honestly I no longer need it. Many gas stations are also installing CCS units however I have never seen any gas station with a SC and doubt we will.