Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS - buy now or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ron J.

MY LR, Blue-Bk, OD 9/30/21 - Delivered 5/26/22
Nov 20, 2021
Fort Myers, FL
Assuming your MY has CCS enabled, then the Tesla passive CCS adapter is all you need to be able to connect to the non-Tesla high speed chargers, such as those from Electrify America. Given the Tesla CCS1 adapter is purely passive with a plastic housing and metal conductors between the pins on the Tesla plug and CCS socket, this adapter should be relatively low cost to manufacturer. Given Tesla sells the smaller J1772 adapter for $50 a realistic price for the CCS adapter should be in the $100 - $150 range, but Tesla will charge whatever Tesla wants to charge when the US version of the CCS is sold thru the US Tesla store. These Tesla CCS1 adapters can currently only be purchased today thru on-line sellers in Korea where the price is a little over $300. My only hesitation in ordering the CCS adapter from Korea is will the $300+ cost be significantly more than the price of the US version when it becomes available. Given I don't have any urgent need for the CCS adapter, I think I'll wait and see what Tesla offers here in US store, hopefully within the next few months. What are your thoughts on getting a CCS adapter now vs. holding out to see what Tesla eventually offers in the US store.

Reactions: SWIPE and dbender54
Assuming your MY has CCS enabled, then the Tesla passive CCS adapter is all you need to be able to connect to the non-Tesla high speed chargers, such as those from Electrify America. Given the Tesla CCS1 adapter is purely passive with a plastic housing and metal conductors between the pins on the Tesla plug and CCS socket, this adapter should be relatively low cost to manufacturer. Given Tesla sells the smaller J1772 adapter for $50 a realistic price for the CCS adapter should be in the $100 - $150 range, but Tesla will charge whatever Tesla wants to charge when the US version of the CCS is sold thru the US Tesla store. These Tesla CCS1 adapters can currently only be purchased today thru on-line sellers in Korea where the price is a little over $300. My only hesitation in ordering the CCS adapter from Korea is will the $300+ cost be significantly more than the price of the US version when it becomes available. Given I don't have any urgent need for the CCS adapter, I think I'll wait and see what Tesla offers here in US store, hopefully within the next few months. What are your thoughts on getting a CCS adapter now vs. holding out to see what Tesla eventually offers in the US store.

The cost in Korea for the adapter is around 240 USD at the last exchange rate I checked (back when I purchased mine), so I expect the US version to sell for $250 USD when it comes out (if it comes out soon... more due to inflation if it comes out next year)... so you can pay an extra $50 and have it now, or wait on Elon time for it to come out here. I do enough long range travel that the extra $50 was worth it to have it now.

Keith

Unless it's actively inconveniencing you right now in a noticeable way, I wouldn't buy it shipped from Korea. If you run into issues or need a warranty claim, it's going to be a pain.

Even after it comes out in the US, I think that CCS charging is going to run into issues in the next few years. There are tons of new EVs coming out, many of which have huge batteries and charge somewhat slowly (F150, Rivian, etc.). I don't see EA or EVGo expanding quickly enough. I think it'll eventually work out, but it might be rough for a while.

Reactions: Big Earl
Unless it's actively inconveniencing you right now in a noticeable way, I wouldn't buy it shipped from Korea. If you run into issues or need a warranty claim, it's going to be a pain.

Even after it comes out in the US, I think that CCS charging is going to run into issues in the next few years. There are tons of new EVs coming out, many of which have huge batteries and charge somewhat slowly (F150, Rivian, etc.). I don't see EA or EVGo expanding quickly enough. I think it'll eventually work out, but it might be rough for a while.
But if there is no supercharger or it's full and there is an EA 350A station near, I'll certainly go there. Tesla is a bit easier and quicker to hook up but not such that waiting more than a minute or two will be beneficial. Just another option for me. I don't expect to have to use it. I also bought a modern spare and really hope I don't need that either.

Yes, there is a details screen (I don't recall exactly how to navigate to it at the moment) to see that your car is CCS enabled. Having said that, your new MYP is good to go. All newer cars are enabled.
Except for sometime in 2021 where they were not for awhile.

It is in Software->Additional Information

PXL_20220627_161200327.png

You could wait for who knows how long before it becomes available here or Tesla could easily shut of the supply chain from Korea and you possibly would have no choice than to wait for the American version which may be several years or never. Nobody can predict what Tesla will do but I think we can all agree there is a reason it is not being sold here right now and this reason needs to be settled before it will be locally available.

Right now CCS charging plugs out number super chargers in North America they are being built at an alarming rate in comparison to SC stations. I do know where I am located SC are far and few between, probably 10 times more CCS units around if not more in comparison.