Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS - buy now or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read about that. I am not up to that challenge. Will Tesla enable through an OTA?
The retrofit thread I read involved swapping out a part so I assume there are some hardware differences, although the Tesla connector allows DC charging so I’m not sure what the different hardware requirements would be.

As another datapoint, I have a 2020 MY (VIN 027xxx) and my car is CCD enabled.

The retrofit thread I read involved swapping out a part so I assume there are some hardware differences, although the Tesla connector allows DC charging so I’m not sure what the different hardware requirements would be.

As another datapoint, I have a 2020 MY (VIN 027xxx) and my car is CCD enabled.
I think the 'hardware' difference is a chip that talks CCS protocols. No specific knowledge on my part but that is the drift I got from reading the threads on that. I had the impression it was not that expensive but don't really know. My 2020 is also CCS enabled. A little newer than yours at 36xxx. And August build. Just got the amber rear lights and the better icon for the doors although people still have trouble with that.

I thought all the recent years US models had the CCS chip except for that period last year with the chip shortage. Certainly not a lot of time diff between a '19 Raven and my Aug 2020 MY. And I think all the early MY has CCS so that pushes the time back maybe Feb? Not sure when VIN 00001 was actually built.

One thing that might be holding it up is compatibility with different vendor's chargers.

I got a new Model 3 last week and wanted to try out the new CCS charge adapter. My 2018 prior M3 did not have the hardware support.

I stopped at a station that had 2 different brands of chargers. One had external transformers. I tried it first and it charged for about 5 minutes then faulted stop. I did not try to restart, I instead tried the other type of charger. That type gave an over amperage error in the car and on the display of the charger (I tried it on both of the same type with the same error).

These were not Electrify America chargers. All the youtube demos I have seen use EA chargers. It could be Tesla has to work on the software for other common CCS chargers that are in the US. I had the same problem with Chademo for a while, certain chargers it would not work on. Now it works on all of them -- either the charger companies upgraded their firmware or Tesla did, or perhaps both.

Reactions: MattChristian
There are many places, like Glacier National Park, where there no superchargers. Unless you can stay at one of the few B&Bs with level 2 chargers, or sit somewhere for 5 hours on a J1772 every day during your visit, you just won't be going in your EV.

CCS is there.

Also, have you ever tried to buy something from the Tesla store? They sell out for months all the time. You might not be able to get it when you want it.

If you get it now, it's a bird in the hand if you think you might want it.

One thing to consider is that sometimes a CCS charging station is in a somewhat better location in the same town as an SC. For example, in Cranberry, PA (just off the Turnpike) the Tesla SC is behind a Residence Inn, which means you have to go inside the hotel to use the bathroom, and there are no snacks or other food. The EA station (about a half mile away) is located at a Sheetz, with bathrooms and food galore. I trek that way frequently, which is one reason I picked up the Korean CCS adapter (which works perfectly).

Also, there are a bunch of slower charging (50 and 62.5kW) CCS locations scattered about in obscure places like Tiffin, Ohio. The CCS adapter comes in handy when you are doing the kind of lazy, back roads travel I like to do from time to time.

One thing to consider is that sometimes a CCS charging station is in a somewhat better location in the same town as an SC. For example, in Cranberry, PA (just off the Turnpike) the Tesla SC is behind a Residence Inn, which means you have to go inside the hotel to use the bathroom, and there are no snacks or other food. The EA station (about a half mile away) is located at a Sheetz, with bathrooms and food galore. I trek that way frequently, which is one reason I picked up the Korean CCS adapter (which works perfectly).

Also, there are a bunch of slower charging (50 and 62.5kW) CCS locations scattered about in obscure places like Tiffin, Ohio. The CCS adapter comes in handy when you are doing the kind of lazy, back roads travel I like to do from time to time.

Yep when I go up to Kansas there is a supercharger in the parking lot of an ok restaurant. A couple of miles away there is one a EA charger at a Walmart. I prefer the Walmart location as I can just grab a sandwich and snacks for the road. Plus I can walk around the store a bit to stretch my legs.

No, not compared to Superchargers.

It depends on where you live, some of the old V2 Superchargers are getting pretty bad... this last trip (6/28 and 6/30) I had to move stations three times, once because the pins were bent on the connector and I couldn't even attempt a charge, twice because I was getting ridiculously slow charging (no, I was not sharing a cabinet)... the last few times I have used EA, all 4 chargers were up and running. The problem is, if an EA charger goes down it takes 1/4 of the station capacity where if a V2 supercharger cabinet is wonky it will take 1/5th of the station capacity (2 out of 10), so a problem at a supercharger station is less of a hassle unless the station is swamped with users.

Is there a number to call to report jacked up Superchargers? I know that there is for messed up EA chargers. I try to leave feedback on PlugShare when I have an issue with either.

Keith