Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS - buy now or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn that sounds awesome! Where do you find those stations? I go visit friends in Pasadena every few weeks. It’d be nice to get some free charging while waiting.
Hey no problem! When I get my adapter I can meet you so you can try it?!?! Okay so there are three locations. On Morengo and Green St it’s on the roof. There are a set of twenty urban superchargers and then there is maybe 20-25 CCS Power Up Pasadena Machines. Free of charge. Superchargers are pay though. The other spot is on Arroyo by the entrance to the freeway they have three free stations there but they’re always packed. Last is Del Mart Train stop on Del Mar and Fair Oaks free 50kw CCS sharing 4 hour limit. PlugShare has the Marengo garage listed real well it’s popular. EDIT you have to pay for the Morengo garage one to access the garage. Like $2 however if you go to the Starbucks or any store down stairs they’ll validate and get you free parking and not have to pay the $2. Even if you do pay the $2 hell of a deal to get all the good energy.

Hey no problem! When I get my adapter I can meet you so you can try it?!?! Okay so there are three locations. On Morengo and Green St it’s on the roof. There are a set of twenty urban superchargers and then there is maybe 20-25 CCS Power Up Pasadena Machines. Free of charge. Superchargers are pay though. The other spot is on Arroyo by the entrance to the freeway they have three free stations there but they’re always packed. Last is Del Mart Train stop on Del Mar and Fair Oaks free 50kw CCS sharing 4 hour limit. PlugShare has the Marengo garage listed real well it’s popular. EDIT you have to pay for the Morengo garage one to access the garage. Like $2 however if you go to the Starbucks or any store down stairs they’ll validate and get you free parking and not have to pay the $2. Even if you do pay the $2 hell of a deal to get all the good energy.
Noted! Always down to meet a fellow TMC member. Starbucks coffee on me ;)

Reactions: Cyberspeed
Speaking of free charging, my first test went reasonably well with 30 minutes of free charging in San Marcos TX. I got my adaptor from Harumio a month ago, was going to test it at a Walmart EA station 4 miles from home, tossed it in the subtrunk, and kinda forgot about it. Fast forward to a 4 day holiday weekend in San Marcos, I shuttled up and down I35 a couple of times to the nearest SC and grousing about the few lost % returning to the AirBnB.

So we packed up to head home, I finally remembered to check plugshare, and found free Volta 30 minute fast charging at the outlet mall nearby. Two minutes of fiddling back and forth with the Volta vs Tesla app, and MYLR went from 63 to 88 while we grabbed lunch. At first navigation wanted to stop in Columbus TX but eventually had us go straight home to Houston. Not a bad first try. I may use it much over time but it’s really nice to have the option!

Found the same thing here at the Baybrook mall here in Clear Lake TX. I know the free power was not much. Probably about 7 bucks but to me, I was excited using the adapter to get some free power.

Attachments

• PXL_20220709_004911787.jpg
    PXL_20220709_004911787.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: Luvtoride
If you're really trying to save every dollar and have good working electrical knowledge, you could always build your own. Search tesla supercharger cable on e bay. Then go to junk yard and get a CCS type 1 port off a wrecked car, project box, cable gland, some connectors and assemble.

It would be reasonable and appropriate for Tesla to offer a program (for a fee) where they certify post-salvage refurbished Teslas and permit SC access.
You are right, it would be reasonable and appropriate. But why would they? (From Tesla perspective-) what’s in it for Tesla, a small fee? Weigh that against bad press if a salvage car burns up at a SC. There may not be many CCS1 enabled Tesla cars in salvage status now, but there will be.
Hopefully they will be able to DCFC, I would call it unreasonable if Tesla interfered with that, but using SC may add liability.

Speaking of free charging, my first test went reasonably well with 30 minutes of free charging in San Marcos TX. I got my adaptor from Harumio a month ago, was going to test it at a Walmart EA station 4 miles from home, tossed it in the subtrunk, and kinda forgot about it. Fast forward to a 4 day holiday weekend in San Marcos, I shuttled up and down I35 a couple of times to the nearest SC and grousing about the few lost % returning to the AirBnB.

So we packed up to head home, I finally remembered to check plugshare, and found free Volta 30 minute fast charging at the outlet mall nearby. Two minutes of fiddling back and forth with the Volta vs Tesla app, and MYLR went from 63 to 88 while we grabbed lunch. At first navigation wanted to stop in Columbus TX but eventually had us go straight home to Houston. Not a bad first try. I may use it much over time but it’s really nice to have the option!
That's great until the rolling blackouts come through! :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: Dennisis
How do you prevent people stealing your $300 ccs adapter. Does it has a lock? Or else i have to sit there and watch it?
On one of these CCS threads someone reported they could unplug it hot at a certain station, EVgo I think. If the CCS plug is in proper condition I don’t see how it could be unlatched hot and I have not been able to duplicate that. But even in that case, the adapter itself should still be latched to your Tesla.

How do you prevent people stealing your $300 ccs adapter. Does it has a lock? Or else i have to sit there and watch it?
The Tesla end of the plug is locked to your vehicle. Just like supercharger or HPWC cables. And the J1772 adapter. However, I think the CCS plug can be removed just like J1772 can be. It is not tied to your key or vehicle and the adapter doesn’t have an active lock built in since it’s passive. They have J1772 locking flanges for Teslas so maybe someone just needs to make a CCS version.

I’m in the middle of 4,400 mile round trip. The CCS has saved me twice already? The latest being today where there was a line of 4 at the only SC for many miles. Had an ATV tour scheduled that I had to make. Went 9 miles north and charged at EA as the only one there. Totally worth it, not to mention EA can be much cheaper and I haven’t had any issues so far.

Reactions: boulder.dude
The Tesla end of the plug is locked to your vehicle. Just like supercharger or HPWC cables. And the J1772 adapter. However, I think the CCS plug can be removed just like J1772 can be. It is not tied to your key or vehicle and the adapter doesn’t have an active lock built in since it’s passive. They have J1772 locking flanges for Teslas so maybe someone just needs to make a CCS version.
It absolutely locks. There is this stick thing that get pushed in a bit when you go to use it that locks it. You cannot remove the cable and/or adapter from the car. Works just like SC.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I’m in the middle of 4,400 mile round trip. The CCS has saved me twice already? The latest being today where there was a line of 4 at the only SC for many miles. Had an ATV tour scheduled that I had to make. Went 9 miles north and charged at EA as the only one there. Totally worth it, not to mention EA can be much cheaper and I haven’t had any issues so far.

Sounds like Richfield, UT.

One of the worst parts of the East-West Supercharger network...

On one of these CCS threads someone reported they could unplug it hot at a certain station, EVgo I think. If the CCS plug is in proper condition I don’t see how it could be unlatched hot and I have not been able to duplicate that. But even in that case, the adapter itself should still be latched to your Tesla.
I'm pretty sure the handle was busted... I noticed on one of the handles at the EA charger in Yreka, CA, the lock on the CCS handle was busted, becuase it would not click onto my adapter.... It still worked, but I had to keep that in mind... The other handle it DID lock, but it would not initiate a session.... I'm pretty sure the lock was busted, becuase this particular charger, the holsters were quite crappy, so it looked that the handles would fall out and slam onto the ground.