Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS - buy now or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL, BINGO!

ETA: Moab was no picnic either. Lines at all different hours and a lot of people would just pull in, see the line, and leave. Unlike Richfield, we were staying in Moab so we just came back at another time.

How a 4 unit supercharger makes sense anywhere along a route even remotely traveled, in 2022... Completely escapes me.

If these were v3 then maybe it could work in the summer, but in winter vehicles need to be sure not to run out of power between Richfield and Green River.

Personally I'm skipping the tesla super in Richfield, and either heading to the Electrify America in Salina, UT or the electrify America that is also in Richfield. At least I won't have to share power if it's full-up.

As of now the CCS adapter appears to be unavailable once again, but in addition to points already made I would suggest that if you plan to tow with your Tesla and it is CCS enabled you probably want to get one as most Supercharger locations have 0 or 1 pull in spots while many (not all) of the EA locations (that I have seen anyway) can accomodate pull in. I would favor EA over superchargers just to avoid needing to unhitch.

Will also add that I used mine at an EA station on the Ohio turnpike a couple weeks ago when the supercharger there was "temporarily unavailable".

How reliable have the CCS stations been? I haven’t had any trouble yet with chargepoint, but lots of comments on TMC about problems with damaged handles or app/payment methods.
Most of the stations in OK are run by a company called Francis Energy. I have not had an issue with payments they work via CC, EVgateway app or an RFID card you can get from them. They have had problems lately about getting parts to fix broken chargers, so there are some chargers out of commission. They are responsive when you contact them about a broken charger, but they say they are waiting on parts.

Most of the stations in OK are run by a company called Francis Energy. I have not had an issue with payments they work via CC, EVgateway app or an RFID card you can get from them. They have had problems lately about getting parts to fix broken chargers, so there are some chargers out of commission. They are responsive when you contact them about a broken charger, but they say they are waiting on parts.
You’re luckier than me.
I charged at a Davis Francis energy one day just fine, returned to it later in the day to charge again and same unit refused to initiate claiming ground fault. Moved to the next machine over and it couldn’t read either of my credit cards.
Moved over to the third machine and used the app and it worked.
Then drive south to Txes border and used one there, which said unavailable. Moved over to the second one which worked.
This is with a CCS car.

As of now the CCS adapter appears to be unavailable once again, but in addition to points already made I would suggest that if you plan to tow with your Tesla and it is CCS enabled you probably want to get one as most Supercharger locations have 0 or 1 pull in spots while many (not all) of the EA locations (that I have seen anyway) can accomodate pull in. I would favor EA over superchargers just to avoid needing to unhitch.

Will also add that I used mine at an EA station on the Ohio turnpike a couple weeks ago when the supercharger there was "temporarily unavailable".
All of the EA chargers near me are front or rear in only. But they do have those Super-fast chargers for the few Porsche Turbo S owners in the area.

There are 7 Supercharger locations within 15 miles of my house. Many are 250 kW and one has 20 charging stands.

Last edited:
Just wondering (I am CCS enabled). WIll Tesla do the retrofit? Or is it all DYI?
At the moment, no, it's only DIY. That's because in theory, it's not really a feature they offer right now, it's just a thing some cars can do and some can't. Thus, if yours can't because it's too old or get a nerfed chip during a shortage, that's not Tesla failing, that's just you got unlucky with a thing that's not a feature anyway. There's some speculation the delay in rollout as a formal feature and selling adapters from Tesla in the US is about stock of ECUs and such to do retrofits the way they did for older Model S and X in Europe when the Model 3 came out with CCS2. They may not want a flood of people asking for it until they have stock, and keeping it low-profile, DIY-retrofit, CCS not officially supported, no adapter on sale, and only available to people willing to root around on the web helps keep the demand down. Who knows when that will change?

Reactions: DrGriz and Rocky_H
One thing to consider is that sometimes a CCS charging station is in a somewhat better location in the same town as an SC. For example, in Cranberry, PA (just off the Turnpike) the Tesla SC is behind a Residence Inn, which means you have to go inside the hotel to use the bathroom, and there are no snacks or other food. The EA station (about a half mile away) is located at a Sheetz, with bathrooms and food galore. I trek that way frequently, which is one reason I picked up the Korean CCS adapter (which works perfectly).

Also, there are a bunch of slower charging (50 and 62.5kW) CCS locations scattered about in obscure places like Tiffin, Ohio. The CCS adapter comes in handy when you are doing the kind of lazy, back roads travel I like to do from time to time.
Yes, I loved that Cranberry EA station. Met some cool folks there, even saw a Walmart Ford transit electric. Also, the EA station in PA charges based on a per min basis. It worked out much cheaper than SC when you roll in on low SOC and take advantage of the high charging speed at the beginning.

Attachments

• C0356E1E-82A5-4F9D-8E3A-A7B7701C12E6.png
    C0356E1E-82A5-4F9D-8E3A-A7B7701C12E6.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 68
  • E123B3B8-85E1-488E-A4A0-3DFDA4F40343.png
    E123B3B8-85E1-488E-A4A0-3DFDA4F40343.png
    997.9 KB · Views: 56