Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS - buy now or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming your MY has CCS enabled, then the Tesla passive CCS adapter is all you need to be able to connect to the non-Tesla high speed chargers, such as those from Electrify America. Given the Tesla CCS1 adapter is purely passive with a plastic housing and metal conductors between the pins on the Tesla plug and CCS socket, this adapter should be relatively low cost to manufacturer. Given Tesla sells the smaller J1772 adapter for $50 a realistic price for the CCS adapter should be in the $100 - $150 range, but Tesla will charge whatever Tesla wants to charge when the US version of the CCS is sold thru the US Tesla store. These Tesla CCS1 adapters can currently only be purchased today thru on-line sellers in Korea where the price is a little over $300. My only hesitation in ordering the CCS adapter from Korea is will the $300+ cost be significantly more than the price of the US version when it becomes available. Given I don't have any urgent need for the CCS adapter, I think I'll wait and see what Tesla offers here in US store, hopefully within the next few months. What are your thoughts on getting a CCS adapter now vs. holding out to see what Tesla eventually offers in the US store.
Do you know what is the price of this adapter in Korea? I have a cousin who lives in Canada and visiting USA later this year and I was thinking if I can ask him to buy it from Tesla Korea.
Thanks

Thanks. My cousin is a diplomat in Korea so he has a Korean address and credit card but he does not own a Tesla. Is this confirmed that they will not sell it to anyone who does not have a Tesla—thanks
Unless they changed their policy, you just have to have an account that has an active vehicle attached to it and be the main driver. I changed my pw when giving my login info to Harumio then when the adapter was delivered to me I changed it again.

Low chances the adapter will be less than $300 in the US. Even if it were cheaper it wouldn’t be by more than 50 bucks. I’d just buy the thing now to save yourself the peace of mind. You’re already spending 70k on a car. What difference does 50 dollars make?
The Tesla adapter is $216 including taxes in Korea. There is no evidence for your claim that it would cost $300 in the USA, and lots of evidence that the prices will be similar. Generally the price of items in the Korea store (including taxes) is similar to the USA pre-tax price. Sometimes a touch less. (That's the reverse of how most US companies price in USA and overseas though, usually it's more overseas.)

With the Tesla adapter probably $225 in Tesla store, how much cheaper does an aftermarket adapter have to be for you to buy it, and put 150kw through it next to your expensive car? When one charging network officially forbids it (not that they can detect if you do it, but they will blame your adapter if there is trouble.)

How much does the aftermarket adapter have to save to make you buy it, if the Tesla model is in stock, that is?

The availability of the official Tesla CSS adaptor will be the issue, especially how the supply chain is these days.

And I wouldn't take much comfort that having an "official" Tesla adaptor will help much legally should something go wrong if there were an incident. There are so many loopholes and gotchas in just about every situation, that unless there's clear cut evidence that EVgo or any other electrical supplier did something very wrong, you're not likely to prevail in a lawsuit anyway. No, let's not get into a long winded debate about our legal system, and just leave it at, in most cases it's the lawyers who get all the money lol.

The Tesla adapter is $216 including taxes in Korea. There is no evidence for your claim that it would cost $300 in the USA, and lots of evidence that the prices will be similar. Generally the price of items in the Korea store (including taxes) is similar to the USA pre-tax price. Sometimes a touch less. (That's the reverse of how most US companies price in USA and overseas though, usually it's more overseas.)

With the Tesla adapter probably $225 in Tesla store, how much cheaper does an aftermarket adapter have to be for you to buy it, and put 150kw through it next to your expensive car? When one charging network officially forbids it (not that they can detect if you do it, but they will blame your adapter if there is trouble.)

How much does the aftermarket adapter have to save to make you buy it, if the Tesla model is in stock, that is?
Sorry. Not up to date on this. Which network forbids which adapter.

Reactions: fiehlsport
Actually, A2Z EV - A2Z THUNDERSTORM PLUG - CCS COMBO ADAPTER - TESLA CCS1 looks to be another viable option. They have sold over 5,000 so far. I have seen it with one person to have worked flawlessly on an Electrify America 350KW charger, drawing close to 150KW.

Lectron the company which have been making Tesla adapters and power products also has one on offer. It says pre-order but they some already got it. This one is slightly cheaper.

Hannshow is shipping right now. However, for anyone in NA, A2Z seems like a safer bet. It is a Canadian company.

Reactions: A2ZEVSHOP
i got lucky and found someone on facebook marketplace that sold me the OEM adapter and the harumio case to go along with it for $450. people do exist out there who aren't trying to gouge people on the OEM adapter.

tip: try searching for just "tesla charger." they only had the marketplace listing titled as "tesla charger" even though it was the much harder to find CCS adapter.

Actually, A2Z EV - A2Z THUNDERSTORM PLUG - CCS COMBO ADAPTER - TESLA CCS1 looks to be another viable option. They have sold over 5,000 so far. I have seen it with one person to have worked flawlessly on an Electrify America 350KW charger, drawing close to 150KW.

Lectron the company which have been making Tesla adapters and power products also has one on offer. It says pre-order but they some already got it. This one is slightly cheaper.

Hannshow is shipping right now. However, for anyone in NA, A2Z seems like a safer bet. It is a Canadian company.
We used ours again in qualicum beach BC. No superchargers in this area.

A few days ago we charged at an ELectrify Canada. Here is a screenshot. We have used it at least a half dozen times. Flawless.

33FAE373-8607-4E52-A519-64FEFABF7BCE.jpeg

Reactions: boulder.dude
I too have ordered the adapter from A2Z EV. It should arrive tomorrow (thanks A2ZEVSHOP!).

Just in time to begin our 3 weeks long journey, to New Brunswick and surroundings. For now, in the remote areas, they only have 50kw CCS chargers so I really need this adapter.

Can't wait to try it out!

Reactions: e645824