Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS - buy now or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ha Ha, well I own one and I still can't buy it! Once I log in it tells me I need a retrofit and to check back in early 2023. Can't add it to the cart.
Well, if you are persistent…
You can likely use the web browser dev tools to bypass the disabled add to cart button. Or, I simply refreshed the page a few times and suddenly I could actually click the button (then the order process worked fine and DID NOT double check my car’s status).

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
Got it yesterday. Fastest I've ever got a shipment from Tesla.

Testing it out today at a EA station. Worked right away

Attachments

• PXL_20220924_175522212.jpg
    PXL_20220924_175522212.jpg
    521.3 KB · Views: 95
I had bought this - Amazon.com

before getting the harumio case. I though it would work well although I'm not sure it would hold both the CCS1 & J1772. I think others have bought this and liked it. Must be selling as it costs 50% more than when I bought it.
I was looking at the Haumio case but it's out of stock unfortunately. Seems to be the best one considering it also holds the J1772

I logged into my account in the Tesla Shop and went to order the CCS1 adapter, but it says there is a problem:

1664072031554.png

Notice that the "Add to Cart" button is grayed out. My 2021 MYLR was made in October 2021. I checked the menu (CAR | Software | Additional Vehicle Information) and it confirms:

CCS Adapter Support: Not Installed​

So it looks like my October 2021 MYLR build from Fremont (...MF29nnnn) didn't get the chip. And the Tesla Shop knows...

Last edited:
Is the ccs retrofit free? I saw this message for our 2020 M3 and 2016.5 MS.
I seem to remember reading reading somewhere that they will offer the adapter including retrofit hardware and installation for $499 through the service dept. I think the retrofit is pretty simple so I would expect this could be done through mobile service just like door handles and 12v batteries...

I seem to remember reading reading somewhere that they will offer the adapter including retrofit hardware and installation for $499 through the service dept. I think the retrofit is pretty simple so I would expect this could be done through mobile service just like door handles and 12v batteries...
Very simple so likely mobile service will be doing the retrofits. You could also do it yourself if your car is 2021 or newer by ordering the Gen 4 charge port ECU from your nearest service center for $140 (part # 1537264-00-B). Then wait until you have a pending software update to install it.

I logged into my account in the Tesla Shop and went to order the CCS1 adapter, but it says there is a problem:

View attachment 856668

Notice that the "Add to Cart" button is grayed out. My 2021 MYLR was made in October 2021. I checked the menu (CAR | Software | Additional Vehicle Information) and it confirms:

So it looks like my October 2021 MYLR build from Fremont (...MF29nnnn) didn't get the chip. And the Tesla Shop knows...
Odd - my July 2020 MYLR is CCS compatible.

At the end of the day the way Tesla chose to sell these is a good thing. You need to own a Tesla and you need to have one that accepts the adapter. At least they will not be sold out after being snatched up by resellers like we have seen with wall connectors and many other items Tesla sells.
Agree - not only does it prevent people from wasting $250 on an adapter they can’t use but it helps preserve supply for those who can use it, prevents scalping and also likely saves Tesla a ton of headaches from people who call complaining that they got an adapter they can’t use.

Odd - my July 2020 MYLR is CCS compatible.

Agree - not only does it prevent people from wasting $250 on an adapter they can’t use but it helps preserve supply for those who can use it, prevents scalping and also likely saves Tesla a ton of headaches from people who call complaining that they got an adapter they can’t use.
It's roughly summer of '21 that doesn't have it due to the chip shortage. my 2020-08 build has it and the adapter works great (have the korean one)

Same issue here for my 2019 Model 3. But, I somehow found a way around the disabled button and ordered my adapter (it arrived yesterday). Went into Tesla today and got the correct ECU. Next I need to order a “bundle of wires”. Then, wait for a software update and install everything!