Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS - buy now or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received my adapter today.

It provides a striking visual for the aesthetic and functional superiority of the Tesla plug over the CCS plug!
I really wish Tesla would have licensed it's plug/interface - it's so much better than virtually every other one out there! Small, easy to handle and use. Allows Level 1, 2 and 3 charging. AC and DC. Also has communication for authentication. All the other adapters seem cartoonishly large in comparison.

I really wish Tesla would have licensed it's plug/interface - it's so much better than virtually every other one out there! Small, easy to handle and use. Allows Level 1, 2 and 3 charging. AC and DC. Also has communication for authentication. All the other adapters seem cartoonishly large in comparison.

They did one better and opened it up freely for anyone else to use. Sadly UAW is too arrogant and what we get is consumers losing yet again

I really wish Tesla would have licensed it's plug/interface
They did one better and opened it up freely for anyone else to use. Sadly UAW is too arrogant and what we get is consumers losing yet again
Didn't realize Tesla had opened up their adapter. Makes it doubly sad.
Well, no, they didn't really. It is still protected and proprietary and not freely openly available.

They have had an offer to work out deals with other companies, but there has not been an openly published list of what their requirements would be in exchange, so it's a bit of a mystery and just nice sounding words right now. On the other hand, you're right that other companies did not show much interest in trying to engage with Tesla to work through what the conditions of such an agreement would be. It's a sensible decision to just stick with the open standard that is not controlled by one other company, who can change it on a whim.

Well, no, they didn't really. It is still protected and proprietary and not freely openly available.

They have had an offer to work out deals with other companies, but there has not been an openly published list of what their requirements would be in exchange, so it's a bit of a mystery and just nice sounding words right now. On the other hand, you're right that other companies did not show much interest in trying to engage with Tesla to work through what the conditions of such an agreement would be. It's a sensible decision to just stick with the open standard that is not controlled by one other company, who can change it on a whim.
At the time, from what I have read, the major ICE manufacturers were looking for any way possible to drag their feet. Tesla wanted to get going. They screwed around for another year and then picked the big, fat, ugly, unwieldy CCS1.

Guilt on all sides.

Reactions: richteer
At the time, from what I have read, the major ICE manufacturers were looking for any way possible to drag their feet. Tesla wanted to get going. They screwed around for another year and then picked the big, fat, ugly, unwieldy CCS1.

Guilt on all sides.
I for one, hopes Tesla never opens up their superchargers to other vehicle manufacturers. Part of the price premium we pay for a Tesla is because of its access to the supercharger network, which is far superior to any other charging network. If they open it up to everyone, then the superchargers will be hopelessly crowded. Look at how bad Electrify America and other DC chargers are. Half of them are broken or charge at a far lower rate than advertised.

I for one, hopes Tesla never opens up their superchargers to other vehicle manufacturers. Part of the price premium we pay for a Tesla is because of its access to the supercharger network, which is far superior to any other charging network. If they open it up to everyone, then the superchargers will be hopelessly crowded. Look at how bad Electrify America and other DC chargers are. Half of them are broken or charge at a far lower rate than advertised.
Agreed - but I'd be completely ok if the U.S. adopted the Tesla connector as a standard. Just like superchargers are better, the Tesla connector is also better!

But they did. The patents for the charge port are from 2012. Tesla open sourced all parents in 2014. Granted with an * but still. Any manufacturer that want to use it realistically could.

I'm pretty sure they are only going to open up *new* superchargers to other EVs, as those would be the only ones with CCS cables. (Hopefully long cables) Since they can get subsidies from the government, hopefully that means they will rapidly expand the pace of expansion, which is great for everyone. I heard in Europe, even at the locations that are open, they only open to other EVs when utilization is below a certain threshold or something. That would make sure Tesla owners get priority.

Reactions: TheLex and tm3dlr
Ummm, this has already started in Europe so....

• Funny
Reactions: israndy
But they did. The patents for the charge port are from 2012. Tesla open sourced all parents in 2014. Granted with an * but still. Any manufacturer that want to use it realistically could.
Yup. I think the real problem wasn’t so much with the physical connector but with figuring out terms for 3rd parties to use the Superchargers themselves. Understandably, Tesla wanted licensees to contribute to the cost of running the Supercharger network. I think THAT’S where the holdup was.

Reactions: DrGriz
Yup. I think the real problem wasn’t so much with the physical connector but with figuring out terms for 3rd parties to use the Superchargers themselves. Understandably, Tesla wanted licensees to contribute to the cost of running the Supercharger network. I think THAT’S where the holdup was.
And it was an excuse to drag their feet on the transition to EVs. The majors truly didn't want this for a very long time.

7403D797-50FC-426C-B930-B2F788C27A34.jpeg

Reactions: boulder.dude
That's a price that I think many would consider to be a sufficient deal, since Lectron has a good reputation and has been in the biz for a while. I am guessing that they found they were not selling many around $200 and had to do something like this. It also tells us what the mfg cost is.

In particular, there are a lot of people who are saying, "Why do I really need this adapter?" and at this price it's a no-brainer, even if you are fairly confident you will never use it. Trust me, you will find it handy to have even if you never use it because it reduces range anxiety.

That's a price that I think many would consider to be a sufficient deal, since Lectron has a good reputation and has been in the biz for a while. I am guessing that they found they were not selling many around $200 and had to do something like this. It also tells us what the mfg cost is.

In particular, there are a lot of people who are saying, "Why do I really need this adapter?" and at this price it's a no-brainer, even if you are fairly confident you will never use it. Trust me, you will find it handy to have even if you never use it because it reduces range anxiety.

Tesla is selling its own CCS1 adapter on Tesla website for $250 - easy availability,( I have purchased 1 last month) hence 3rd party products had to reduce price to stay competitive.

Last edited:

Actually, I found non-Tesla chargers to be sometimes free. In my last long drive the two times I went for non-Tesla chargers (Electrify America) , they offered free charging). I have now done $50 of free charging to date. In few more trips it will pay off my $250 costs.