Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS - buy now or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the lectron site lists if for $200

One thing I thought interesting -

TEMPERATURE MONITORING - Equipped with real-time internal temperature monitoring - At 179 °F the current will be reduced (depending on the Tesla system); at 188.6 °F the current will be cut off until ambient temperature is restored

Earlier, this thread or perhaps other CCS threads here talked about them being inexpensive because they were dumb. But this suggests that is not true.

got a link?

I own the original tesla one, but for this price I’ll throw it in my other tesla so I don’t have to move it around.
Register yourself at Lectron and then you should get an email (or call them up). I got this discount in an email and the link took me to Amazon where it applied the discount automatically.
Can't see this email? View in Your Browser
Lectron
Lectron

40% OFF- CCS Charger Adapter for Tesla
Fast charge your Tesla with CCS chargers

$128.99/ $214.99
Hey Wadood,
Simply click on the"GET MY DISCOUNT" above and your 40% discount will be automatically applied upon checkout 🥳

We'd greatly appreciate it if you could leave us your honest feedback on Amazon!
Button Text
Custom
Custom
Custom
No longer want to receive these emails? Unsubscribe.
Lectron 1505 30th St NW Faribault, Minnesota 55021
open

Reactions: Freshness
Register yourself at Lectron and then you should get an email (or call them up). I got this discount in an email and the link took me to Amazon where it applied the discount automatically.
Can't see this email? View in Your Browser
Lectron
Lectron

40% OFF- CCS Charger Adapter for Tesla
Fast charge your Tesla with CCS chargers

$128.99/ $214.99
Hey Wadood,
Simply click on the"GET MY DISCOUNT" above and your 40% discount will be automatically applied upon checkout 🥳

We'd greatly appreciate it if you could leave us your honest feedback on Amazon!
Button Text
Custom
Custom
Custom
No longer want to receive these emails? Unsubscribe.
Lectron 1505 30th St NW Faribault, Minnesota 55021

open
You are awesome, worked perfectly for me. Buying from Amazon was also a major plus. My assumption is that they are reaching out to prior customers to receive this discount so they may get their Amazon product rating up.

Just click on the link, add to cart and when you go to cart and then checkout, the discount is shown as applied. $128 US delivered to a US address. This worked for me. You can also have it delivered to Canada however they do add taxes and a shipping fee on top of the $128 which came to around $159 US if I remember correctly.

On Reddit, I read a post asking folks to be careful about the current rating for third party adapters. Some might only be rated for 300A, which may be dangerous to plug into 350kw chargers (the adapter can't let either the car or charger know the limit). The official Tesla one is rated for 500A and won't run into this problem

• Helpful
Reactions: e645824 and Rocky_H
Subject: Mobile charging kit vs. CCS-1 (from Tesla or CCS Korean version)

Pros: I am sure this subject has been discussed but I can't seem to wrap my head about benefits of one vs the other, so please help me. I am expecting my MYLR in Dec 2022, and I guess that it would come with (1) J1772 adapter and (2) possible a $200 voucher for Tesla Mobile charging kit . Based on current knowledge, if U have to purchase CCS vs Mobile charging kit which one would U buy and WHY
Many thanks Pros

Mobile charge kit will allow you to charge (really at a snails pace on 110v) at home or someone else's home or maybe a campground if you have the right adapter. CCS adapter allow you to charge on the road at non Tesla charging stations therefor more options and availability not to mention much faster DC charging to choose from which will continue to grow exponentially with time. All depends on your needs, obviously both would be the best route to take but if I could only have 1 it would be the CCS.

Mobile charge kit will allow you to charge (really at a snails pace on 110v) at home or someone else's home or maybe a campground if you have the right adapter. CCS adapter allow you to charge on the road at non Tesla charging stations therefor more options and availability not to mention much faster DC charging to choose from which will continue to grow exponentially with time. All depends on your needs, obviously both would be the best route to take but if I could only have 1 it would be the CCS.
Thanks. Great summary

Pros: I am sure this subject has been discussed but I can't seem to wrap my head about benefits of one vs the other, so please help me. I am expecting my MYLR in Dec 2022, and I guess that it would come with (1) J1772 adapter and (2) possible a $200 voucher for Tesla Mobile charging kit . Based on current knowledge, if U have to purchase CCS vs Mobile charging kit which one would U buy and WHY
Many thanks Pros
As long as you have a charging set-up at home, you don't need the Mobile Connector. If you don't have, for example, the Tesla Wall Connector, then you will need either the Mobile Connector or Corded Connector to use at home. Having the CCS adapter means that you can fast charge almost anywhere. I use the Mobile Connector that came with my car to charge at home, and have the CCS adapter in the car for emergency use when I travel.

Many thanks Pros
The two are totally different. The Mobile charging kit lets you plug into many standard (NEMA) 110 & 220V outlets at a variety of different currents. Ultimately these are all Level 2 charging (Except the most basic 110V which is level 1). To use the mobile connector you need a receptacle and the kit with the proper plug adapter.

CCS is a plug standard that combines both level 2 and level 3 fast charging. The CCS standard is used by many non-Tesla EVs and is the standard in Europe. Many (most?) non-Tesla level 3 charging stations in the U.S. use the CCS standard. The CCS adapter being discussed in this thread simply adapts the CCS plug to a Tesla plug that you can plug into your Tesla to charge it, not unlike having an adapter so you can plug your hair dryer in when you travel to Germany.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz and Rocky_H
As long as you have a charging set-up at home, you don't need the Mobile Connector. If you don't have, for example, the Tesla Wall Connector, then you will need either the Mobile Connector or Corded Connector to use at home. Having the CCS adapter means that you can fast charge almost anywhere. I use the Mobile Connector that came with my car to charge at home, and have the CCS adapter in the car for emergency use when I travel.
Same thing here. So far I've never taken the UMC on a trip (haven't gone that far or much in to boondocks). I'm thinking about including it when I trek to Denver (youngest expecting 2nd child early next year) although I might not given I have the CCS1 (Korean flavor). I'd go with this combo again. It's about the same price as just the wall connector.

On Reddit, I read a post asking folks to be careful about the current rating for third party adapters. Some might only be rated for 300A, which may be dangerous to plug into 350kw chargers (the adapter can't let either the car or charger know the limit). The official Tesla one is rated for 500A and won't run into this
All third party adapters have been reported to be working fine. I believe an adapter like this one is not particularly hard to make so companies that have been making only phone mounts and steering weights also jumped in when they saw this opportunity because of Tesla not providing their own CSS adapter.

Furthermore, this company, Lectron, is making very advanced power products for EV markets for years. Their main EV products are non—Teslas but their Tesla offerings are quite good and they actually meet and exceed standards even Tesla’s own.

For example, I used their Tesla Mobile Charger and it charges faster than Tesla!!! Their extension cord to Tesla is also a great product, which extends your Tesla Mobile charger cable to another 20 feet, which means you can have any Tesla adapter with it.

All third party adapters have been reported to be working fine. I believe an adapter like this one is not particularly hard to make so companies that have been making only phone mounts and steering weights also jumped in when they saw this opportunity because of Tesla not providing their own CSS adapter.

Furthermore, this company, Lectron, is making very advanced power products for EV markets for years. Their main EV products are non—Teslas but their Tesla offerings are quite good and they actually meet and exceed standards even Tesla’s own.

For example, I used their Tesla Mobile Charger and it charges faster than Tesla!!! Their extension cord to Tesla is also a great product, which extends your Tesla Mobile charger cable to another 20 feet, which means you can have any Tesla adapter with it.
I agree that Lectron is an established brand that has a history of making other quality products but I would add some caution to the statement "an adapter like this one is not particularly hard to make." This is a device that may carry 350 kw of power - it's a bit different from charging an iPhone.

I agree that Lectron is an established brand that has a history of making other quality products but I would add some caution to the statement "an adapter like this one is not particularly hard to make." This is a device that may carry 350 kw of power - it's a bit different from charging an iPhone.
No rocket science behind it, the contacts are bigger, thats about it. The iPhone cable is actually much more complex. 😉

No rocket science behind it, the contacts are bigger, thats about it. The iPhone cable is actually much more complex. 😉
As I understand it there is some circuitry involved but you’re right - an iPhone lightning cable probably has more. The problem is exactly the contacts. The most expensive part of these connectors is often the metal contacts and companies will go cheap on the metal. Or use weaker plastic that’s more prone to cracking.

I bought the Lectron CCS adapter in anticipation of having my model S retrofitted for CCS.
However my friend just bought a new Model Y.
So we tried the adapter on his car at a Volta CCS station. We couldn’t get it to work.
We then went to a Electrify America station and it did work fine.

I contacted Volta about our problem at their station.
Here is one line of their response:
“ Please note: Our network does not support the use of 3rd party CSS adapters that are not explicitly approved by the manufacturer.”

Does this sound right?

I bought the Lectron CCS adapter in anticipation of having my model S retrofitted for CCS.
However my friend just bought a new Model Y.
So we tried the adapter on his car at a Volta CCS station. We couldn’t get it to work.
We then went to a Electrify America station and it did work fine.

I contacted Volta about our problem at their station.
Here is one line of their response:
“ Please note: Our network does not support the use of 3rd party CSS adapters that are not explicitly approved by the manufacturer.”

Does this sound right?
I'm not surprised. Another reason I would only buy the Tesla adapter, and would sell any 3rd part ones if I was in your situation.