Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Capability In Models S and X Sold in South Korea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
Hello. Questions for South Korean owners of Models S and X:
  • Does you car have CCS capability? To find out (at least in North American cars and in English):
    • On your center touchscreen choose the "Software" category.
    • On the Software screen, choose "Additional vehicle information."
    • In the "Additional vehicle information" box, examine the "CCS adapter support" entry.
    • It should say either "Enabled" or "Not installed".
Center Touchscreen Software Screen Additional vehicle information Box

• When and in where was your car manufactured? The VIN (at least on North American cars) will tell you those things:
    • This article discusses how to interpret a VIN (in North America, at least).
    • The tenth (10th) digit represents model-year. ("L" for 2020, "M" for 2021, and so forth).
    • The eleventh (11th) digit stands for the plant of manufacturing plant. "F" is for Fremont, California, USA.
Interpretting a VIN

Please let me know by PM (private message) or in this thread. We are trying to understand why the Tesla CCS1 adapter, for sale on your Tesla website, is not available for Models S & X sold in South Korea. Thank you.

Tesla South Korea CCS1 Adapter

Attachments

• South Korea CCS1 Adapter.jpg
    South Korea CCS1 Adapter.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Pretty sure it is not shown as being available for the S and X as the older pre yoke design may not be compatible, maybe not all but I suspect the earlier models cannot be upgraded. If they advertised as being available for S/X then people would buy only to find out it does not work. We do know the new architecture (horizontal screen) cars are all compatible however a few may require a hardware retrofit. The new yoke style S and the X are compatible with CCS as it says so on my screen plus I can confirm it works very well as I do have the adapter.

That being said my S is a 2022 delivered Dec 28 so build was probably early December 2021.

Pretty sure it is not shown as being available for the S and X as the older pre yoke design may not be compatible, maybe not all but I suspect the earlier models cannot be upgraded. If they advertised as being available for S/X then people would buy only to find out it does not work. We do know the new architecture (horizontal screen) cars are all compatible however a few may require a hardware retrofit. The new yoke style S and the X are compatible with CCS as it says so on my screen plus I can confirm it works very well as I do have the adapter.

That being said my S is a 2022 delivered Dec 28 so build was probably early December 2021.

My "chromed" (my new identifier instead of "classic" or "legacy") Model X was built in December 2020, and is CCS-enabled. I have a "gut" feeling that <a few/some/most/all?> Models S and X in North America from 2020-2021 came CCS-enabled (as did 3/Y), also. (Except for 6/21-10/21, naturally.) However, I don't have the data. I've heard from some, but my previous survey was mostly for Models 3 and Y.

However, with this OP I was asking Korean drivers specifically, since the CCS1 adapter was advertised on the Tesla-Korea site as being for Models 3 and Y only. I was curious: now that we know the adapter fits and works fine on (CCS-enabled) Models S and X in North America, why wasn't it advertised for S&X in South Korea? Are all their Models S&X CCS- "not installed?" Perhaps you are right?

Unfortunately, I didn't hear anything back from Korean drivers. Actually, I had kind of forgotten about this thread. And now it is kind of a moot point, don't you think? The adapter is working for us in North America on all four (CCS-enabled) models. That is what is important.

My 2014 AP1 Model S was modified by Tesla Australia to use a Tesla CCS2 adapter.
If Tesla Korea is selling a CCS1 adapter, then that likely means that Tesla either has or is developing the hardware modifications for earlier Model S and X as the difference between CCS1 and CCS2 is just the plug pattern.
If you have an early North American or Japanese Model S or X buying a CCS1 adapter from Korea may not work at the moment and you will have to wait until it becomes available in your area.